25 WSSM

Should go around same fps as the 25 creedmoor, as case capacity is very close. Only source ls brass is Bertram which is decent after a full prep process.

Should go around same fps as the 25 creedmoor, as case capacity is very close. Only source ls brass is Bertram which is decent after a full prep process.
That's what I found out last night, creedmoor has about the same capacity

I was fortunate to find Winchester .25 WSSM brass back at the beginning of the year. I won't buy Bertram so this was a great find for me.

I shoot out of DBM most of the time so mag modification were a priority. My chamber has the bullet seated out about 1.0" from the case mouth so the balance in the mag is significant. Using a 26" barrel I can get to about 3,000 fps without raising cane with the pressure curve.:) It's fun to shoot but I'm working on a single shot with an XP-100 action just for fun. Slightly longer barrel in a modified benchrest stock and leave the reamer alone.:rolleyes:;)

I keep thinking about a 6.5 PRC necked down to .25 cal and using that same bullet. It would bring the velocity back up with the bigger case and using the heavier bullet. I can't help but think that the .25 WSSM would drop me too far below that 2900-3000 fps I like with the quarter bore. Just my thoughts is all.

I can't help but think that the .25 WSSM would drop me too far below that 2900-3000 fps I like with the quarter bore.

If you would read what I wrote, 3,000 fps is available as is 3050 with the right powders and seating depth. Re-23, H-4831sc, IMR-7828SSC, MRP, and VVN-560. More than enough choices to make your velocity range you like.:D Besides which, it's an extremely accurate cartridge for longer ranges when loaded properly.:)

I keep thinking about a 6.5 PRC necked down to .25 cal and using that same bullet. It would bring the velocity back up with the bigger case and using the heavier bullet. I can't help but think that the .25 WSSM would drop me too far below that 2900-3000 fps I like with the quarter bore. Just my thoughts is all.
If you are thinking prc, I would also take a hard look at the 6.5 sst. It will run the 131 north of 3300' at a coal of under 2.9". Reamers, dies, and head stamped brass in stock and the same bolt face as a prc.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com
look it up.

What kind of overall length are we talking with the 131gr Ace in a 25WSSM? Probably a bit of wishful thinking but after seeing a 25x47 Lapua gasser, I am curious if the WSSM could be run in the ar-15 platform vs just going 25 creed or 25x47L in the ar-10. Thanks guys

OAL with my set up is 2.660" which is 1" over the case length approximately. I really don't think you can consider the AR15 as a platform for this cartridge if you intend to feed from the standard magazine. Do the math to see how much of the bullet is down in the case when the OAL is 2.230" for the magazines.

I still have one of the original Super Bolts made for these cartridges in the AR15 but from the reports of failures a few years ago, I'm not really interested anymore. The AR10s are too easy to come by and work with.

Simple assessment allows for us to use many other cases unless you feel the absolute urge to try this one on for size. Not every cartridge has to run through an AR platform either. Bolt actions and single shots are still great.

OAL with my set up is 2.660" which is 1" over the case length approximately. I really don't think you can consider the AR15 as a platform for this cartridge if you intend to feed from the standard magazine. Do the math to see how much of the bullet is down in the case when the OAL is 2.230" for the magazines.

I still have one of the original Super Bolts made for these cartridges in the AR15 but from the reports of failures a few years ago, I'm not really interested anymore. The AR10s are too easy to come by and work with.

Simple assessment allows for us to use many other cases unless you feel the absolute urge to try this one on for size. Not every cartridge has to run through an AR platform either. Bolt actions and single shots are still great.
Yeah, I just have the 15 platform sitting here already (and figured this would be about the only case that could get the speed up in this platform) so I thought I'd ask just because, knowing the answer would almost certainly be a resounding no. No biggie, I've got bolt guns too to work with

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.