25 WSSM thoughts......

Thanks, the one I'm looking at has close to 1,000 down the pipe. Thinking that maybe a 26-06AI might be the better route to take. I don't need, or want anything really, I'm just bored with what I have, and want something new to play with. I'm kinda like a rat, new shiny things always get my attention, especially when they go bang..
Thanks all for the replies..
I also have the shiny and new affliction....been that way my entire (51yrs) life. My guess is it'll never go away.
One of my best friends is just the opposite. He still wears the same camo he bought when we were just out of college. And hunts with the same Browning BAR 7mm he picked up, used of course, roughly 30yrs ago.
He just retired and bought a marina to run for fun. As for me, I may never be able to comfortably retire......but I'm super excited cause my new 6.5prc just finished up and I should have it in a week or so.

Can anyone give me some real world experience with a 25 WSSM please? I've read all about the feeding issues, and how the 25-06 has left it in the dust, and all of the other negative press regarding the chambering. A local one has caught my eye, a Winchester model 70 coyote, and it seems cheap enough, given it comes with brass, reloads and dies. I don't know much about it, but since it has a 24" heavy barrel, I'm assuming it is probably set up for more of a light bullet varmint use than a heavier deer gun. Am I correct on my thinking, and could anyone shed some more light/info on this for me please...TIA
T67
I have a custom AR15 that I built and chambered in 25wssm. Never have had a feed issue and with the 24" barrel it is an equal to my 25-06 with a 22 inch barrel. Have shot deer and yotes with it and it is a good caliber for class 1 and 2 game. I am in California so I load the lead free Cutting Edge Raptor's for it and they function as designed very well. Less recoil than my lighter 25-06 bolt rifle with the same bullets. Just my 2 cents.

What's recoil like compared to a 25-06? I'm thinking of getting one for my dad who has had shoulder surgery on both shoulders and finds his 25-06 a bit more than he wants after the surgery (I know, the 25-06 is already pretty low recoil. He'll also be 80 this year).
Mine is a Win 70 coyote with the laminated stock and heavy barrel. Recoil is lighter than my 25-06, but the rifle is heavier, so maybe a wash.

I like the Coyote and the cartridge. Have had mine for a few years and used it mostly for targets and it's namesake. When the barrel is done, I will likely rebarrel it to a wildcat fast twist 6.5 or 7mm based on the same case.

Great cartridge. The rifle is a little more suspect. Towards the end (pre-bankruptcy), Winchester was turning out some pretty bad rifles. They just shot like crap. I owned two different rifles: one in 25 WWSM and the other in 223 WSSM. Both were the coyote model. I couldn't get either one to group better than 1.5 MOA. So my two cents is : yes to the caliber and a yellow caution flag for the rifle itself.

Can anyone give me some real world experience with a 25 WSSM please? I've read all about the feeding issues, and how the 25-06 has left it in the dust, and all of the other negative press regarding the chambering. A local one has caught my eye, a Winchester model 70 coyote, and it seems cheap enough, given it comes with brass, reloads and dies. I don't know much about it, but since it has a 24" heavy barrel, I'm assuming it is probably set up for more of a light bullet varmint use than a heavier deer gun. Am I correct on my thinking, and could anyone shed some more light/info on this for me please...TIA
T67
Have one in Winchester Featherweight. It's a sweet rifle. I've had no feeding issues. Its More than a 257 Roberts and a wee bit less than a 25-06. I wouldn't dwell to much on that. Winchester is the only brand of loaded ammo available and is produced periodically. its also the only manufacturer of brass. Graf currently has brass in stock. Go for it. Grab the brass when you can and you'll have no regrets.

As Scope-eye pointed out, the 25wssm was introduced as Winchester corporate was experiencing instability. The round's market failure had little to do with the round itself and everything to do with its abandonment by the powers that be. However, if you are drawn to the road less traveled as I often am, the 25wssm gets a thumbs up from me.

T67
I have a browning stainless have taken a few deer with it does fantastic

Toad67; No matter what the papers/rags say, the 25 WSSM was and is a very good cartridge. I would own one if I did not own the 25-06 already. I loved both of my 223 WSSM's I had until I got offers on them I could not refuse. I really like the 25 WSSM but like I said; I own a 25-06 already and it is the perfect goat/prong horn gun. the 115 grain nosler accubonds work miracles on speed goats in this area. if the 25 WSSM had been given a 1:8" twist; it would have been a truly formidable option to the 25-06 and the 257 Weatherby. now we have 25 WSM's. something I am impressed by each and every day I see it in my friend's hands.
I may not have owned one, I have gotten to test fire and shoot them on the range thanks to customers and friends. I found the custom barreled Model 70's in 25 WSSM and 25 WSM to be extraordinary shooters. If offered to trade for my 25-06 I would have to seriously think about the trade. I truly love my 25-06's performance. I might have to buy one just to say I own one.

Toad67; No matter what the papers/rags say, the 25 WSSM was and is a very good cartridge. I would own one if I did not own the 25-06 already. I loved both of my 223 WSSM's I had until I got offers on them I could not refuse. I really like the 25 WSSM but like I said; I own a 25-06 already and it is the perfect goat/prong horn gun. the 115 grain nosler accubonds work miracles on speed goats in this area. if the 25 WSSM had been given a 1:8" twist; it would have been a truly formidable option to the 25-06 and the 257 Weatherby. now we have 25 WSM's. something I am impressed by each and every day I see it in my friend's hands.
I may not have owned one, I have gotten to test fire and shoot them on the range thanks to customers and friends. I found the custom barreled Model 70's in 25 WSSM and 25 WSM to be extraordinary shooters. If offered to trade for my 25-06 I would have to seriously think about the trade. I truly love my 25-06's performance. I might have to buy one just to say I own one.
I have over all 25s myself and a little 25 that I have shot deer with was it like 180 yards dropped it done a good job good pass through on fitting ri115 gr Bullets do a wonderful job

I know folks are happy with 22 & 24 WSSM, and the cartridge overall, but somebody went about it wrong IMO.
#1 The WSSM cases are formed from WSM cases. They trimmed WSM cases to WSSM length and shoulder/neck formed.
This leaves necks stupid thick(19-22thou).
#2 The WSSM case has better capacity for 25, 26, and 27cal. That's what they should have gone with.
It's overbore for 22 & 24cals.
#3 Many guns chambered in WSSM did not provide enough barrel steel around the chambers, nor address proper feeding.
It is a magnum diameter cartridge which needs a magnum action to work well.

I use Win reloading brass in 25WSSM for my 26WSSM. No problem picking diamonds out of the rough.
To be successful with it I use a magnum custom action, custom chamber, and turned necks. The folks I watched attempt to use WSSMs (in 26cal) for 1kyd competition skipped these basics and failed in every regard. Then they cried issues about the cartridge, but it was really on them.

So #1 makes the case super strong. You have to do everything wrong to kill a case. But with necks so thick, better make efforts to lower tension.
25cal suits #2. With the right barrel, action & chamber, you can leave 25-06 behind in barrel life, and brass life, at same MV.
My 26WSSM Imp can smoke most 6.5x284s while 10gr less in H20 capacity, and using way less (faster) powder. I get ~1800rnds accurate barrel life, while a 6.5x284 gets ~1200.
The 25WSSM also has 10gr less H20 capacity than the 25-06. It's a similar situation.
Savage addressed #3 with WSM actions and CRPF loading, like my BAT action.

I am also 80 and had a 6.5-06 built on a rem long action with a muzzle break. I have a shoulder problem but can shoot only on that shoulder because of vision. It is a sweet shooting rifle and has a minimum amount of recoil.
I'm not 80 yet. But creeping up on me fast. Love my 2 6.5-06's. Light recoil killing machines

The gun was used, but, a copy of a buddy's. So right out of the gate it was iffy. I looked at a rebarrel, but, my gunsmith talked me into the first set back.
It was cheaper, so, I did that. Right after I started load testing. I would shoot several 20 round sessions...5 per batch.

So after two years I was one on to the recipe. My guess.. initial development...600-700.

Then a few years of predator/varmits. My guess would be another 1000.

She started to open up. We tried to relap...terrible idea. Then after the 2nd set back...now she shot good again...but...after that (2nd set back)...in the interim... fell head over heels for 6.5-06AI.

Between some bad brass, scarcity of brass.. and it really being a single shot (due to that shoulder) I lost interest.

So just shy of 2k if I had to guess.
Oooohhhhh, 6.5-06AI......hmmmmmm