25 sst

Coldfinger

So how's the turnout on the 25sst going? I'm thinking of rebarrel if a FN SPR short action. Anyone wanting to share info? What's the best barrel length? Twist rate for heavy bullets? I want it to be a useable hunting rifle so the lighter the better. Can bullets be seated deep enough to contact rifling and feed out of mag box?

A lot of good info in this thread.

I think most of them have been built on 26" barrels. I went with 24 on mine simply because I wanted it a little handier. Lost a little speed but it's still a respectable 3230 with the blackjacks. If they're the bullet you want to shoot then a 7.5 twist is probably about ideal. If you want to shoot the 128 hammers, they recommend a 7 twist which I'm sure will work for the blackjacks as well. My 25sst has become my favorite rifle for what it's worth.

I think most of them have been built on 26" barrels. I went with 24 on mine simply because I wanted it a little handier. Lost a little speed but it's still a respectable 3230 with the blackjacks. If they're the bullet you want to shoot then a 7.5 twist is probably about ideal. If you want to shoot the 128 hammers, they recommend a 7 twist which I'm sure will work for the blackjacks as well. My 25sst has become my favorite rifle for what it's worth.
Are you running the BJ's through a short action? I'm thinking of rebarrel if an FN CRF action that's a 270wsm now.

My 25SST sports a 26" 1:7.5" Proof Sendero. I am running the 131 BJ too, at 3238fps suppressed with a moderate charge of H1000. I got 3360+ before I ran out of case space, but no pressure signs. the 131 BJ fits in an Accurate mag with room to spare. I am jumping mine .023".

I have heard that Berger is working on a .257" heavy, maybe a 130 Hyb, and Hornady is working on a 135 A Tip. So building a new fast twist .257 makes even more sense with those additions. I hope Sierra follows suite too. A 130 SMK or SGK would be awesome.

Yes I'm running accurate mags as well. If I recall, my coal is around 2.850-2.860. I'm away at work or I'd double check. Definitely under 2.9" to touch the lands. I'd say if you're thinking of building on a rifle chambered in a wsm it's a great candidate.

My 25SST sports a 26" 1:7.5" Proof Sendero. I am running the 131 BJ too, at 3238fps suppressed with a moderate charge of H1000. I got 3360+ before I ran out of case space, but no pressure signs. the 131 BJ fits in an Accurate mag with room to spare. I am jumping mine .023".

I have heard that Berger is working on a .257" heavy, maybe a 130 Hyb, and Hornady is working on a 135 A Tip. So building a new fast twist .257 makes even more sense with those additions. I hope Sierra follows suite too. A 130 SMK or SGK would be awesome.
Lol it'd be simpler to just have the BJ 131's in production. By the time I get to it I'll have too many choices!!! I sure wish I'd stumbled on Mr Sherman's site years ago, he makes most cartridges seem boring!!

My gunsmith still has mine. Been waiting on the Terminus bottom metal since early April. Build is a Terminus Apollo lite ti, proof 26" 7.5tw sendero, TT diamond, jcs composites tactical with manners adj cheek piece. Still waiting on my flush fit M5 bottom metal from Joel @ terminus. Barrel hasn't sped up yet but the Smith has found half moa loads with H1000 131bj @ 3210 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.