.25 Saum in Southern California

Ovis Spotter

I've been reading through threads here for a while and finally getting around to joining. I really appreciate all the knowledge I've gleaned from the members here. I'm a fan of fast flat shooting rifles, my go to rifle for the last 10 years is a .270 WSM built on a 700 SA, I also have a .300 Dakota that I built on a Ruger 77 MK2 action that was originally chambered for .300 WM that just wouldn't shoot. I just finished a .25 Saum built on a Howa 1500 SA and I'm in the process of trying to round up load information for this rifle.
Details on the .25 saum, 25" Pac Nor Super Match 1:9 twist, I'd like to shoot 100 gr bullets in the 3300-3400 fps range. Most of my hunting is in So Cal so I'm limited to mono copper bullets. I've got a box of Cutting Edge 100 gr MTH that I'm hoping will shoot for me. I have RL-19 and RL-22 on hand so I'll be trying those out initially. If any of you have one of these and have a some load suggestions I'd really appreciate the guidance.

Thanks

Where in SoCal?? Ever shoot at the range in Piru? I'm from ventura county, but live in OC now.

RL22 is really temp sensitive. RL23 is close in burn rate and attainable velocity, but very stable. Great accuracy, clean burning, and accurate.

H1000 is also a great choice for accuracy, stability, clean burning, and consistency.

I had really good luck in my .25-06AI with the Barnes 100 TTSX @ 3600+.

I would try the 103gr Hammer Hunter if it were my .25 SAUM 1:9".

Where in SoCal?? Ever shoot at the range in Piru? I'm from ventura county, but live in OC now.
I'm in Chino Hills, I usually shoot at Angeles in little tijunga canyon, or at a private range one of my friends belongs to. Occasionally I'll run out to the desert where I can shoot longer distances.

RL22 is really temp sensitive. RL23 is close in burn rate and attainable velocity, but very stable. Great accuracy, clean burning, and accurate.

H1000 is also a great choice for accuracy, stability, clean burning, and consistency.

I had really good luck in my .25-06AI with the Barnes 100 TTSX @ 3600+.

I would try the 103gr Hammer Hunter if it were my .25 SAUM 1:9".
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at the Hammers also. I had the RL-22 on hand so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Welcome!
I'm here in Southern California also. Do you use a local gunsmith or send them out? I have a few projects and have been sending them out of state.

Welcome!
I'm here in Southern California also. Do you use a local gunsmith or send them out? I have a few projects and have been sending them out of state.
My experience with "gunsmiths" has been rocky, my 270 WSM was built on a 700 SA that I had and it shoots great, the smith who did that job was in 29 palms. I also had him do my rebarrel for the .25 SAUM, Lilja barrel, tried at least 15 different powder/bullet combinations, it never shot better than 2 MOA, so I took it to a gunsmith in Orange County to have the barrel set back thinking it might change the harmonics. got it back and it shot even worse. Turns out the gunsmith shop in OC threaded the barrel wrong Howa's are metric thread and they used standard Remington thread. The barrel would lock up solid on the last turn, but was super floppy until then, horrible thread engagement. I've gotten 2 prefit barrels from Pac Nor that have been great, one for my .300 Dakota, and the other is for my .25 saum. the prefit barrels come profiled, threaded, and the chamber is run a few thousandths deep, and then you put the barrel in a lathe and remove a little of the shoulder until if head spaces. They'll also do the entire rebarrel for you, truing the action etc. They're in Brookings OR.
So heres the short answer, if the gunsmith you send your stuff to is doing good work, I'd stick with him. My experience down here has been hit and miss.

Thanks for the feedback! I have a Howa action that I'm getting ready to rebuild. Maybe I'll bump into you at the range. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.