25 gibbs? specs or water capacity vs. 25-06?

carverelli

Was thinking about converting my 25-06 to this wildcat. What's the parent case and expected velocity of the 120gr bullet range w/ a 28" barrel?

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the whole Gibbs line suffers from too short a neck in an effort to increase the case capacity. Feeding problems and split necks have been mentioned. The few owners I have talked to don't seem very thrilled. It's a blown out '06 case, same as the Ackley, although I use 270 Win. brass for a couple reasons.

There is a lot of opinion out there on improved 25'06 cases. I have had two Improved, and a standard 25'06, and really like the Ackley, excellent performance and case life....if it is set up right, and with the proper powder and bullet combination. Sounds easy, but it is possible to pick components that will guarantee mediocre performance.

But, I will share my opinion on a conversion, especially a factory barrel. If it shoots the way it is, leave it alone until it doesn't and then buy a new (longer) barrel. If you rechamber, they say that you will lose at least an inch in barrel length, and on the other hand, the 25'06AI (or Gibbs) needs that longer barrel, to realize the potential, so punching a factory barrel has a couple strikes against you, to begin with.

Better to buy a new premium barrel and sink the money into longer barrel life and better quality.

Strictly opinion, but my conclusions are that 100 grain bullets are the best compromise for my application, which is antelope and coyote at ranges within 600 yards. I have not found a better propellant than R-22. Actually, I'm now using a 96.5 grain Starke, and 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips for coyote. By far the best accuracy (in my current rifle) within 400 yards is the 75 VMax, (different powder) and at longer range, the 110 Berger. If Hornady made a 100 grain VMax, based on performance I get with other calibers, I would buy it in a minute.

Good hunting. LB

LB, nice post. What you say makes perfect sence. My rifle is a Rem 700 ss bdl-dm- and it still shoots ok. For some reason it won't shoot 100gr Nosler ballistic tips, but it will shoot Hornady's 100 gr interlock#2540 lead tip into an inch @100 yards. Not too bad for wimpy factorey barrel unbedded in a flimsy plastic stock. The 75 gr vmax shoots great w/ H380.
But your right- no use rechambering to a new hotrod w/ the factory barrel. Wait till its shot out and then buy a new premium barrel and chamber that one. And not that I was sold on a 1/4 bore. But I have a long action remmy and could recmaber any hotrod caliber to shoot lr deer or medium range elk. A 6.5? is another option. I have a 6x 284 maybe a 6.5 x 284 is a decent choice given I already a fl 6.5x284 Redding die.

I had one of my 270 win rebarrel to the 270 ackley Improved. It's just what a 270 needed. 270 like your 25-06 are basically limited to about 62 grains using a tall drop tube and highly compessing the powder. The AI added about 5 grains. So loading it to 62-63 grains makes a nice 100% filled

The chrono speeds exceed 270 weatherby out of my 29 inch barrel. 100 grains at 3600 110 gr @3520 130 @3390 140's @3240 and 150's @3140 without stressing the case life.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.