.25 cal Bergers on deer

Jason

I would like to use Berger 115 VlD bullets in my .25/06 on deer at long range if they are suitable. Most animals I would shoot would be under 250lbs. Anyone had any experience with this bullet? Thanks

Jason,
IMHO, I prefer to use target bullets on targets, and hunting bullets on meat. That's what they're designed for. Good Shootin'

From what I have seen with the the Berger VLD's is that the expansion is very inconsistant on game if the velocity isin't kept pretty high , I have had good results with the 155gr VLD's out of a 308 pushed at max pressure about 3150fps on deer out to 300yds rapid expansion !! but the 175grs iden't seem to expand at all except once then it blew a big hole.
I think that the tiny hollowpoint and long ogive don't allow the bullet to start to open easly but at the high velocity the jacket is thin and soft enough to deform and start expansion.
the next problem is that I have only ever found one load that the VLD's shot well at max pressure and that is from the mentioned 308.

I give the Sierra Match Kings a try then the 100-115gr Ballistic tips. Or the new Nosler 110gr Accubond.

On all the long ojive bullets, it is possible for the tip of the bullet to bend instead of opening up and expanding.

Nosler has just came out with a 110g Accu Bond bullet that should be fantastic on deer!

Jason,

I have use the Berger VLD extensively on game and have had extremely good results. I have been the spotter or shooter on over 70 deer and antelope with those bullets and have never seen what I would call a bullet failure.

I have also shot over 100 coyotes with them and have never seen one to fail to open even on a 25 lb coyote.

A friend of mine took a 6-284 to Africa loaded with 105gr VLDs and it worked superbly on plains game up to and including eland. I saw the video of the hunt and there is no question he had enough gun and bullet.

If I was going to hunt with a 25-06 (great cartridge) the 115 Berger VLD would be my personal #1 choice.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.