25 Cal Barrel Suggestions

depending on exactly what your wanting to do with it makes alot of differance in what caliber. I like the 25-06 Ai and feel that its a great round that offers good speed with good barrel life.
My next choice would be the 25-300 Win mag , this round with Lapua brass with smoke the 257Wby ballisticaly and the brass is far better.

The twist rate would also make a big factor on the choice also

Yeah, Im with James on that one. I really like my 25-06 Ackley imp. Its a real neat cartridge, I pretty much use my for varmints and long range plinking. I have used it for deer. I too have a lilja sendero weight barrel (3 groove) 1-10". It really shoots the 100 grain matchkings well,with Imr4350. Right now im using Norma 270 win brass, you can also use Lapua 30-06 brass if you want to go with a high quality brass. I have the rifle throated for the 87 speer tnt, and I know that rifle will shoot under 3/8", if only I could.

Another .25-06 AI fan here... mine's a Rem. 700 trued up with a 1/10 twist Douglas SS #5. It's really the only rifle I shoot much anymore. Will handle anything that lives here in Washington, but mostly I just shoot it at coyotes, chucks and deer. I've shot everything from the 75 V-Max to the 115 BST out of mine but the 100 NBT has recently become my favorite... and rockchucks go all to pieces over it! I think the .25-06 AI is about as good as a quarterbore can get. ~JT

Hi for a 308 boltface what about the 25-284 they perform very well and in a short action with a mag boltface for a firebreather the 25 Remington Short action ultra mag would be a great wildcat.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Just another suggestion, I was kinda interested in the 250/3000 ackley improved. Its a very efficient cartridge, less powder=less heat=more shots. If you just wanted a good varmint cartridge for light bullets, that would be my second choice. Sierra manual says you can get 3600 with a 75 grain hp.

Brando,

I would say the 25-06 or the AI version would be the best bet, stay away from the Short mags, they can be very finicky in the 25 cal for some reason. What twist is your barrel?

Dave

I definatly will have to vote for the 25-06AI Great speed and barrel life. Mine is a Tikka 695 with a Krieger 26" It will shoot small up to mule deer without any problem. however You simply couln't ask for a better white tail and antalope rifle.
Rh

I have a 25-06AI 1-10 twist I shot a thumbtack at 100 yards yesterday and then hit that first hole 2 more times before I pulled the 4th shot off 1/4 of an Inch. my chamber was cut by bob white @ the shooters corner with a .284 neck this is a close tolerance neck it will chamber factory brass with .002 clearance this really helps on working the case neck.

25-243 ackley or 25 wssm match reamer would be my first choices. they are both very efficent and with the 115 grain berger vld and 115 nosler would be very accurate have good brass and very good barrel life. Solid 1k performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Just a thought

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do not have a action yet. The barrel is a 1-10 5r. This project will start when I get my 338 snipe-tac from dave. Just starting to think about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.