.25 cal 131g .330G7 bullet from Blackjack Bullets

I've considered a 257 Weatherby too. I even have a Krieger #4 contour barrel with a 7" twist.
Why waste all that extra unburnt powder, muzzle blast, recoil, and shorter barrel life for 50 FPS...? Just build you a .25-06 Rem AI 40º. ;)

No skin in the .25 game, but think the bullets/company are legit. Meaning I'd have an order in if moving that way.

Calendar always rules these things, and there is always one more thing to do.

An update is warranted though.

Why waste all that extra unburnt powder, muzzle blast, recoil, and shorter barrel life for 50 FPS...? Just build you a .25-06 Rem AI 40º. ;)
I don't think the powder would be wasted or unburnt and the difference will be considerably more than 50 fps. I also think if Ackley was alive today, he would do things differently. And, I already have a 25-06 which I would rather have than a 40° version.

No fire forming and I think you are selling the wby short on performance.

Steve
I owned and loaded for a .257 Wby from 2008-2014...And have had my .25-06 AI from 2014-current. Real world performance difference is about 50-75 FPS MV. The Wby was putting out an average around 3,350 FPS MV, the .25-06 AI was around 3,275-3,300 average. I even tested it side-by-side at the range next to my .25-06 AI using my MSv2. Both rifles barely showing any pressure signs (cratered primers, but no ejector swipes), with Berger 115's and 7828, using .257 Wby/Norma brass, and Winchester .270 Win brass, I was getting between 50-75 FPS difference averages.

Don't believe me, build your own and find out. But being that yall are Wby fans, I don't expect an unbiased outcome.

I'm not talking crap, as I'm telling you the Wby was indeed faster, but not enough for me to justify the cost of brass/ammo. Also, fire-forming is not difficult to do. The only reason I will own another .257 Wby someday is because I have well over $1,000 worth of factory ammo, dies, and brass invested in what could only be described as a "mongolian clusterf*ck" of a situation. I'm actually considering selling all the factory ammo & once-fired brass.

Last edited:
Have these bullets been successfully used for hunting? Or do they make hunting bullets? I am not interested in shooting matches, just hunting. If so I will be getting a 1:7 bartlein for my 257 bee

Have these bullets been successfully used for hunting? Or do they make hunting bullets? I am not interested in shooting matches, just hunting. If so I will be getting a 1:7 bartlein for my 257 bee

That 1-7 twist for a 257 Wby may be too fast for the 3400 to 3500fps that you may be getting out of your cartridge. I think Blackjack has recommended twists for fps for their bullets. I think you are closer to 1-8 with the speeds of your cartridge. Are you going for a 26" or 28" barrel?

26 inch. I can do 1 to 8. My problem is can you use these bullets for hunting or is anybody else going to introduce a hunting bullet that is that long or with a high BC. If not that's a lost cause and I'm not going to do it

26 inch. I can do 1 to 8. My problem is can you use these bullets for hunting or is anybody else going to introduce a hunting bullet that is that long or with a high BC. If not that's a lost cause and I'm not going to do it
Id be surprised if another manufacturer didnt come out with one.
There are some good monos if you went that route.

I thought Blackjack was releasing a hunting bullet this fall. I haven't heard anything for quite awhile, so maybe it's been delayed.

I thought a lot of guys have already killed with the 131 Blackjack Ace with great results? Once my 25SST is done in a couple weeks, I hope to be able to shoot some coyotes before deer season opens.

They did market the 131 as a target bullet early on and say they were working on a heavier hunting bullet but I haven't heard or read anything on that in quite some time. I ask about hunting on the other thread a while back though and got a bunch of pictures of dead stuff so I'm not too worried about it. Also looking to mow a couple yotes before deer season to double check after mine is done hopefully about the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.