25 cal 110 Accubond performance

My experience with them has been tremendous expansion and great blood trails. I generally push them much faster than 2950. In shoot 110's in a 257 WBY at 3450 FPS
I shoot the same in my Weatherby Mark V Accumark. My experience has been "if" they do go anywhere it's not very far. I'm very happy with their performance.

Just killed an Oklahoma 9 point with those 110 AccuBonds last week. Pushed out of my 257 Wby, it was quite a test of the bullet. The buck was only 50 - 75 yards away so it impacted at a pretty high velocity. It was a complete pass through and the buck stumbled forward maybe 25 - 30 yards. I really didn't check for a blood trail since he went down in sight. The buck was quartering away so the bullet went out of the far side shoulder with the heart and lungs being destroyed.
Gary

Nope, that's not at all how they typically work. I've shot over 50 deer with Accubonds and they have passed thru I'm guessing 90% of the time. I have a few recovered large mushroom typically retaining 70% of their total weight. Exit wounds are golf ball size and I've had good blood trails. One thing about .257 cal I have noticed is they're very tough bullet. For deer I've switched to the 115 Ballistic tip and had great results. The 110 does actually do well on bones and I've taken a few elk with them from my 25-06. Good luck. My family does shoot four 25-06 rifles and 257 Roberts and one 257 AI. Great little deer rifles.
My experiences with the 25-06 started with shooting deer with 120 grn Noslers and generally the bullet passed through unless a shoulder shot. One pass through hit a 2" diameter tree and almost cut it in two. Always hunted with a relative who used a 308 and shot 125 sierras. We knew that ballistically the 308 w/ 125 grn and the 25-06 with 120 grain had same poi on a rock cliff at 600 yards. After countless of deer shot with both cartridges, the 308-125grn would almost always drop the deer or no more than a few steps. The 25-06 120 grn if shot in rib cage would almost always result in a run as much as 220 yards. After reading an NRA manual on ballistics that stated sectional density and frontal impact area of bullet was that in 25 cal the 120 grn was comparable to 180 grn in 30 cal and 150 gen in 277 cal. I started using the 87 grn in the 25-06 and experienced mostly drop when shot. The key is to release the bullets energy IN the deer and not on trees or the ground after pass through. The 87 grn easily shoots 3450 fps and creates blood shock much more than 120 grn. When using ballistic tips, I found that the solid base would continue on after bullet had blown and would have a small exit hole from the base exit. Same experience with 7mm and 120 grn BT at 3500 fps. Tremendous internal damage and small exit hole. Twice I found solid base under the hide on exit side of shoulder as base almost through. Just my experiences. Also have shot 30 cal. 180 grn and killed two deer with one shot after pass through. First deer ran almost 200 yards. Then went to 125 grn BT at 4050 fps. No pass through and deer drop due to apparent brain hemmorage. Prefer it over 338 cal 300 grn. I have guns to shoot 1000 yards or more, but more times than not, shots are 500 yards or less. Probably not what appeals to most, but the learning has been fun.

I use a 25/06 for years. I have a lot of 120 Nosler SpBt bullets. They never failed me. I use 165gr Nosler Accubond in my 308 N.Mag and taken several Elk with it. The velocity on the 165grs is @3300fps at muzzle. They all did a good job and didn't blood shot much meat. I took on bull elk from the hind end. The bullet stopped in the front shoulder next to the hide. Not a lot of blood shot either. The elk slid to a halt I was pleasantly surprise at the lack of blood shot. I feel they are a great bullet. I am look at copper bullets now, but the twist rate has to be turn up. I used a 338 W.Mg, 200 Nosler AccuBond in Africa on several animals. The stop them within 30 yards. Velocity is 3230fps. The bullets held up good. Again bloodshot was low.

If they exited then they didn't expend all their energy into the animal. I've shot them at paper and was going to load some up for season in my .257wby but noticed 30 or so 90 grain hollow points begging for attention!
I don't buy into the not wanting a pass through theory. I'm going to wager to say if a bullet fully expands that it's expended likely 85-90% of its energy right where it needed to in the first 4-8" of penetration and causing the most effective damage possible. Even if it passes through that last 10-15% of energy likely isn't going to make much if any difference in how quickly the target dies.
I personally WANT a pass through. 2 holes leak blood better than one in the event tracking is needed.

I suspect the velocity and bone at close range caused the front of the bullet to come unglued and the small exit hole was the shank.
This is my vote, too.
We have 3 25-06's
Best killers if found for all of them (factory) is the 115 gr. Partitions
The guns all love them and the elk and deer wished they never met them.
The Hornady SST is also a great bullet, but not for elk. Imho

I don't buy into the not wanting a pass through theory. I'm going to wager to say if a bullet fully expands that it's expended likely 85-90% of its energy right where it needed to in the first 4-8" of penetration and causing the most effective damage possible. Even if it passes through that last 10-15% of energy likely isn't going to make much if any difference in how quickly the target dies.
I personally WANT a pass through. 2 holes leak blood better than one in the event tracking is needed.
Archery basics, not slamming in any way
Crap, I've personally killed two cow elk at 40 yards with a 17 gr. bullet.w/ rim fire.
Not that it is the norm, but it wen like this.
Rib, rid, center.. pop
Cow died in way less time than any 15archery elk did.blew a snot Bubble out of her left nostril and tipped over.
Next one was an atlas shot(skull and base of neck)it flopped over and I cut it's throat.
Bled out just like a lung shot archery animal.
It's were the bullet goes and who behind it.
There was no pass through in any of these. Probably won't ever get the chance again, as it was on my own property and highly controlled

That's what I've seen so far so not complaining. I think I need to bump their speed a little and see what happens.
I think the ~500 additional FPS really helps with the bullet shock factor. I shot an antelope with mine in September at 355 yards broadside. I remember seeing the bottom of his chin as he was knocked over backwards. He literally didn't take a step. I know antelope are small, but it was a devasting result.

Archery basics, not slamming in any way
Crap, I've personally killed two cow elk at 40 yards with a 17 gr. bullet.w/ rim fire.
Not that it is the norm, but it wen like this.
Rib, rid, center.. pop
Cow died in way less time than any 15archery elk did.blew a snot Bubble out of her left nostril and tipped over.
Next one was an atlas shot(skull and base of neck)it flopped over and I cut it's throat.
Bled out just like a lung shot archery animal.
It's were the bullet goes and who behind it.
There was no pass through in any of these. Probably won't ever get the chance again, as it was on my own property and highly controlled
No doubt bullets *should* kill quicker than archery. Animal has to lose enough oxygen to the brain by collapsing lungs and bleeding out whereas a bullet also has the shock to go with it.

There are places here in Texas where you want animal to drop where they stand. There is some nasty stuff especially in south Texas that you don't want to have to chase an animal into. You'll be bleeding as much or more than the critter you are trying to kill is.
In a perfect world we wouldn't have to track an animal after the shot, but that's not reality and I want as much blood to spill out as possible.

There is absolutely zero evidence that a Bullets energy plays ANY part in the animal dying. Period.
It is the BLOOD LOSS and NERVE damage done by the bullet displacing/destroying tissue, yes, energy was used in this process, but if you use the same energy in a non vital zone of the animal, death is NOT guaranteed, no matter the bullet size or weight.
There was a myth that the 'energy' of a 50BMG bullet passing by close enough that it would kill you from the pressure wave ahead of it, simply untrue and, quite frankly, RIDICULOUS NOTION.

There is also no evidence of Hydrostatic Shock extending past the permanent wound cavity as many believe.
The more proper term should be 'cavitation' of the bullets path where the permanent wound channel ls left behind.
The area beyond this, as witnessed in ballistic gell, is the cavitation that extends beyond the permanent wound channel/cavity only due to the water content of the tissue being stretched out and unable to compress, as water is incompressible.
If you take energy figures, the simple fact is that bullet energy is quite low, although most damage is done by velocity, the bullets energy can be just as low as a baseball being thrown at 100mph, and yes, we know this can be lethal, but that is rare.
Just putting this out there for food for thought.

Cheers.

There was a myth that the 'energy' of a 50BMG bullet passing by close enough that it would kill you from the pressure wave ahead of it, simply untrue and, quite frankly, RIDICULOUS NOTION.
C'mon that youtube clip has got like 5 million views. It has to be true.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts