25-284 change my mind

So I did some testing with 3 bullets in a 25-06 yesterday. Trying to get set up for my 25-284 build. Chose and eliminate bullets since I probably have 10 different bullets to test so would like to narrow that down to 4-5 besides the 131 Blackjack. I tested the Speer 120 SBT since the published BC is .483. My thought was that it's inflated. I have some Sierra 117 SBTs also that look identical to the Speer 120s. Then along with those two, I tested the Hornady 110ELDX. Wish I had pics but I do not simply because I was not testing groups other than at 300 yards but rather I tested for Speers BC claim. They claim .483 so that and the 20.00 per 100 pricing it just can't be beat if true. I've shot deer with that design and it performs well. My testing showed the 117 Sierra and 120 Speer had an almost identical drop at 600 yards. I couldn't go further due to the range condition I shot at. The ELDX had less drop but not by enough at 600 to make alot of difference maybe 1 moa. That conclusion too me shows the Sierra .410 number is accurate for the Speer as well. Also shows the 110 ELDX BC is definitely higher than the Speer with almost one MOA lower elevation for the same impact on the target. I was hoping for a true published BC for the Speer 120 but in reality didn't believe it was.

Some of you are probably thinking "Who gives a _ _ _ _ about this test ! I did it for myself but also addressed it because many people doubted the actual published numbers of the Speer 120. Hope this clears up that question.

Some of you are probably thinking "Who gives a _ _ _ _ about this test ! I did it for myself but also addressed it because many people doubted the actual published numbers of the Speer 120. Hope this clears up that question.
I like it.

also may want to check out the .257 SBD2–claimed .292 g7. Requires 7 twist. Shot well in my 25-06 but have not verified drops. Currently waiting for more to come in the mail.

also Berger's 1:8 twist .257 is coming out with a similar BC as the blackjacks. If you can find a vendor to pre order.

more and more great options for the fast twist 25!

I like it.

also may want to check out the .257 SBD2–claimed .292 g7. Requires 7 twist. Shot well in my 25-06 but have not verified drops. Currently waiting for more to come in the mail.

also Berger's 1:8 twist .257 is coming out with a similar BC as the blackjacks. If you can find a vendor to pre order.

more and more great options for the fast twist 25!
Yep I did check out the BD bullets but having a 7.5 twist didn't quite make it. Building my rifle around the 131 BJ but will use some lighter mainstream hunting bullets such as the 117/120 Sierra/Speers. Also TGK/ELDX as well all for under 600 yard shooting (exception 131 BJ). I'll test the 131s once my rifle is complete. Like to take them out to a mile and see where the numbers wind up. Guessing they'll be real close to .350 G7

Heading down to some 1000+ yard pastures alfalfa fields in Central Ohio this May to run it out far on GHogs. Hope to use the 131s for my needs down there. Should flatten out the trajectory a bit compared to my 6.5-284 with the 140s at the 800 + yardages. Provided I get my barrel before then

Spend 50$ on a teslong bore scope, plugs into your phone. They're fantastic. I love mine. It has turned me into a barrel snob tho. Ever chamber job I get back from a smith, I carefully inspect the lands, shape of em, how symmetrical they are around the entire radius, inspect all the crowning work. Sometimes I've been greatly disappointed, before I call a smith out, I shoot it, and if it doesn't shoot like I'd expect, that's when I talk to the smith. I also realized, when I thought I had a barrel clean, I never really did. It's easy to get all the carbon out, copper is even still in there when my botetech c4 isn't turning blue anymore. It's a tool to inspect, but don't let it rule how you look at the barrel, use it as a gauge.
Ya I realized how much I suck at cleaning once I got my teslong scope. Made me into one hell of a barrel cleaner tho.

No I've never tried N570 in the 25-284. Just used R26 so far. Shoots good and velocity isn't to shabby either. 570 did work good in my 6.5 Sherman though. 140 Berger's at 3339 FPS out of a 28" Hart.
I've been running N570 in my 6.5max, have about 500 rounds on it. It's in ROUGH shape for the round count. I will no longer run it in anything but 7mm and up. Preferably 308 and bigger. If it's only a hunting gun with 40-50 rounds a year, it's doable. But not in a gun that's gets any volume ran though it.

I agree plus N570 meters terrible. I hadn't shot my 6.5 Sherman for three years. Trying the 123 AH, but haven't found the right powder combination.