25-284 build

Why? Because it will fit in my tikka magazine while allowing me to seat the bullet way out of the case and get close to the lands..on a standard bolt face 😉

As for options now we have the 131gr blackjack (waiting on the next run of bullets of course), 135gr Berger LRHT (very available right now), 133gr Berger soon, and a variety of copper/mono options. Hopefully more to come soon..
Ya when I hear people comment on lack of .257 bullets, I think they just haven't looked enough. While there may have been a lack of heavy .257 bullets, there certainly isn't an overall lack. I have probably 8-10 different bullets for my
.257 cartridge rifle not including the new Bergers or the new sierra TGK 110 bullet. Speer, Sierra, Hornady, all offer numerous bullets. Berger now offers a few plus the many monos offered equal more than one person would ever use.

...to be honest I've cleaned out a ton of rifles over the last few years, no need to experiment anymore at 70....I think I've owned a rifle chambered in just about everything at one point or another...
Good for you. I hope I can say that at 70. It's the journey doing it that's so fun. I'm on my way, that's for sure.

Read something on another forum someone posted about Hornady coming out with a 130 ELD-M in .257. Sure hope that's not just a rumor. I called Hornady and they said they weren't aware of that bullet. Sounds like it is a rumor unless Hornady didn't want to put it on the front page yet

Thanks. That helps.
Ya when I hear people comment on lack of .257 bullets, I think they just haven't looked enough. While there may have been a lack of heavy .257 bullets, there certainly isn't an overall lack. I have probably 8-10 different bullets for my
.257 cartridge rifle not including the new Bergers or the new sierra TGK 110 bullet. Speer, Sierra, Hornady, all offer numerous bullets. Berger now offers a few plus the many monos offered equal more than one person would ever use.
I juast built a 25-284 1-8 twist Hammer bullets has me covered on any bullet I would ever want too shoot in a quarter bore I tried the 90 absolute and works great accuracy and velocity wise hammer also makes a 117 absolute which in my opinion would perform as good or better than any thing heavier in that cal the 2506 and 25-284 shine in bullets of that weight class any thing heavier unless your going for bc seems like your defeating the purpose of the quarter bore vel wise especially .Hammer has more choices of bullets than any one else for diff twist barrels etc .

I juast built a 25-284 1-8 twist Hammer bullets has me covered on any bullet I would ever want too shoot in a quarter bore I tried the 90 absolute and works great accuracy and velocity wise hammer also makes a 117 absolute which in my opinion would perform as good or better than any thing heavier in that cal the 2506 and 25-284 shine in bullets of that weight class any thing heavier unless your going for bc seems like your defeating the purpose of the quarter bore vel wise especially .Hammer has more choices of bullets than any one else for diff twist barrels etc .
Most monos need a faster twist especially getting into the 117 or heavier.

Any idea on a starting charge weight for the 115-120s. Probably can look at 25-06 data and be close enough to be safe I'm guessing.

You'd be correct in looking to 25/06 data.

Take a good look at what Alliant has for loads for the 25/06 on their web site. Please keep in mind that my experience has been what Alliant puts up for a load on their site is Top end and I wouldn't be for playing the pressure game in going over it. Especially with 17, 22, 25 and 26...

Also keep in mind, one of their loads with the 120 is using Federal brass and they call for 51.3 as a top end with the 120.

Their other 120 load is with Remington (thicker than Federal) brass and that is reduced to 49.7.

I'd encourage you to keep this in mind when working with your loads and with the heavier Lapua or Peterson brass and reduce accordingly.

Lastly, keep in mind that there are no free lunches and that "pressure equals speed and speed equals pressure". I know a lot will say elsewise........:)

Best of luck to ya.

What will you be using this rig for on a consistent basis and at what ranges?

You'd be correct in looking to 25/06 data.

Take a good look at what Alliant has for loads for the 25/06 on their web site. Please keep in mind that my experience has been what Alliant puts up for a load on their site is Top end and I wouldn't be for playing the pressure game in going over it. Especially with 17, 22, 25 and 26...

Also keep in mind, one of their loads with the 120 is using Federal brass and they call for 51.3 as a top end with the 120.

Their other 120 load is with Remington (thicker than Federal) brass and that is reduced to 49.7.

I'd encourage you to keep this in mind when working with your loads and with the heavier Lapua or Peterson brass and reduce accordingly.

Lastly, keep in mind that there are no free lunches and that "pressure equals speed and speed equals pressure". I know a lot will say elsewise........:)

Best of luck to ya.

What will you be using this rig for on a consistent basis and at what ranges?
This year I'll be at the range working loads and accuracy. Primarily here in Michigan I'll hunt whitetails using the 110-120 grain bullets. My reason for this build is as a Pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. We've had opportunities to 1000 yards + out there when glassing and scouting with no tags in our pockets. I reasonably expect to get shots at 800 yards provided conditions allow it. The 131 BJ or 133 Berger bullet will be the bullet I plan to use. Next spring I'll begin load data using those bullets.

This year I'll be at the range working loads and accuracy. Primarily here in Michigan I'll hunt whitetails using the 110-120 grain bullets. My reason for this build is as a Pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. We've had opportunities to 1000 yards + out there when glassing and scouting with no tags in our pockets. I reasonably expect to get shots at 800 yards provided conditions allow it. The 131 BJ or 133 Berger bullet will be the bullet I plan to use. Next spring I'll begin load data using those bullets.

Gotcha

Michighan is probably fairly close work I suspect unless one's on a power line? I grew up in Northern Minnesota an moved out here 43 years ago.

That said, for what it's worth in 43 years of hunting lopes and on being in on hunts with buds and people I've guided I've yet to find a lope in Mt or Wyo that I couldn't get within 500 yards of. Our longest shot was @ 505 and that one went down in 2 steps with a 60 Nosler Solid Base out of my 22/250:).

The number I've been in on easily goes over 200 head, again for what that's worth.....which isn't much I know:)

Have a super day!

(side side note, the 25/284 is one I always wanted to build)

Gotcha

Michighan is probably fairly close work I suspect unless one's on a power line? I grew up in Northern Minnesota an moved out here 43 years ago.

That said, for what it's worth in 43 years of hunting lopes and on being in on hunts with buds and people I've guided I've yet to find a lope in Mt or Wyo that I couldn't get within 500 yards of. Our longest shot was @ 505 and that one went down in 2 steps with a 60 Nosler Solid Base out of my 22/250:).

The number I've been in on easily goes over 200 head, again for what that's worth.....which isn't much I know:)

Have a super day!

(side side note, the 25/284 is one I always wanted to build)
Part of it is hunting antelope (for me anyway) won't be about killing a big goat the first year out. I'd like a nice buck but I'll buy a doe tag and look for that shot that pushes 800 yards if the conditions allow. Kinda want to see what the gun and that 131 bullet can do on a smaller to mid size deer. I'm sure the Berger 115 would do it just as well but this chamber is cut for the 131 so that's what I'll take West. Appreciate your input. I'll post my results here and out West.

Part of it is hunting antelope (for me anyway) won't be about killing a big goat the first year out. I'd like a nice buck but I'll buy a doe tag and look for that shot that pushes 800 yards if the conditions allow. Kinda want to see what the gun and that 131 bullet can do on a smaller to mid size deer. I'm sure the Berger 115 would do it just as well but this chamber is cut for the 131 so that's what I'll take West. Appreciate your input. I'll post my results here and out West.
Keep one thing in mind even though you set your chamber for the Blackjack Hammers are not sensitive too bullet jump and they are long being they are a mono I'm sure you can find a Hammer that will work it doesn't hurt too have options Blackjacks can be hard too find Hammers are available good luck on your hunt