25-06ai

Never knew there was a Berger 115 VLD target version. Must have been from before 2002 when I started shooting them.

As for loads, I had a 28" 1:10" .25-06AI for about 15 years. I used RL22 long before RL23 came out. I had a "Hot weather" and a "Cold weather" load due to temp sensitivity. Speeds were 3450fps w. 115 HVLDs. Shot quite a few deer, javalina, coyotes, and foxes with it. I also had a 100TTSX load worked @ 3600+. It was a great rifle.
Now, with the release of the 131 Blackjack, I think a 1:8" twist would be amazing for a new build. Sure hope Berger follows the trend of people jumping back on the quarter bore train with faster twists and releases a new 130 Elite Hunter.

I hope all the manufacturers get back with the 257s. The more the merrier. Hard to build a fast twist 25 when you have one bullet to choose.
Shep

I don't shoot the AI, I traded into a really nice custom built 2506 that was put together in 1965, has a 24 inch apex imperial tube with a 1-12'twist, when i first got my hands on the accubonds i teamed them up with a full case of reloaded 25 in federal brass with Winchester WLRM's, it spits the bullet at over 3400 fps, verified over two different chorographs, I selected 5 case's firing them 6 times each primers were still snug, I tried H1000 but accuracy wasn't there but velocity was, so you might want to start there.

In 25-06ai 26"barrel wanting to shoot 110 nosler accubond. Nosler list retumbo witch is one powder I was going to try, but h1000 is not listed!!! Is there a reason h1000 is not listed? What would be a good starting load with h1000? Any other powders to try with 110 accubonds?

Retumbo, RL26 and H4831sc work well. Haven't tried H1000. RL 26 gives another 100 plus fps over H4831sc. Right now I'm shooting H4831sc because it drills with a 110 Accubond. Always wanted to try H1000 but never got around to it.

I usually start at the high end of standard 25-06 loads in fire formed brass and work up from there.

Good luck and let us know how H1000 works if you end up using it.

Russ

25-06 AI is a sweet deer thumper! I havent played with the 110s but in the 115s and H1000, R26, R22, etc...really any of the slow mag powders are great choices. 3400 with the 115 VLDs is what I settled on its a 26" as well. Like others have already mentioned R26 will get you more speed than the others. I know its not as stable as others but it works for what I do and the temps I shoot in and hunt in....and I like the extra zip!

In 25-06ai 26"barrel wanting to shoot 110 nosler accubond. Nosler list retumbo witch is one powder I was going to try, but h1000 is not listed!!! Is there a reason h1000 is not listed? What would be a good starting load with h1000? Any other powders to try with 110 accubonds?

Honestly with the AI version almost any of the slower powders listed for the standard 25-06 should give you decent loads.

Like most, I've run the RL powders in my standard and then in my AI, but for my purposes I found that Ramshot Magnum was the ticket. With my longer 28" barrel and 1-8 twist it prints little clusters using 120gr bullets. I used the 120gr Hornady HP for fire form loads as well as ruining the day for a few hogs. Also used the Rem 120gr CL and the Speer. All shot very well.

I REALLY wanted the 110 AB to work but after giving it a good go thru my standard version I just couldn't depend on it anchoring deer or hogs. We used it on plenty of critters for several years and they either dropped or ran. Shots were usually 100-250yds and through the shoulder or just behind it but damage was varied. Some deer looking like a blender went off inside and some like you poked them with a field point arrow. I prefer consistent results when kids are involved and personally don't like tracking up a shot hog in thick grass or brush. I've gone back to the 115gr Partition in the standard version.

I'm now using up a slowly diminishing supply of the 120 Solid Base in my AI. Once they are gone I'll be switching to either the 120gr Speer, Core Lokt or the 120gr Partition because all three work every time. I know the CL isn't tops on most folks list, but shooting hogs is year round and they do an excellent job for that task out to 350-400yds. I had initially hoped to get some 130gr bullets for it but just never got round to it since the 120s did so well.

Hope yours shoots up to your expectations, mine has far exceeded what I initially hoped for and has been a hoot.

I've used both in a lot of guns and my rule of thumb is 2gr. So in your case whatever it says for the min charge of retumbo start 2.0gr low of that for you're min charge and you'll be safe.

Load one shot and one shot only, increase your powder charge .5g at a time. Turn the cases head up in the loading box, watch case head with a magnifying glass:

lettering depth
edges of primer
Bolt lift
Case head scuffing

Mark where you see max pressure, and chronograph!

Most accurate load will be within 2.0g of the max load. Do not use federal brass.

You will see on the case heads how pressure incrementally increases, R#26 is going to shock you on speed and accuracy.

Start max load for std 25/06, consult several loading manuals.
I have a pile of RL-25. Wouldn't it act very similarly, excepting the temp sensitivity???? I'm looking for a max velocity powder for my 25-06 as well as .280AI, both similarly 'overbore'.
Thanks, DrBill

I have a pile of RL-25. Wouldn't it act very similarly, excepting the temp sensitivity???? I'm looking for a max velocity powder for my 25-06 as well as .280AI, both similarly 'overbore'.
Thanks, DrBill

With rl-25 in my two 2506ai's I was getting 3300fps no problem with 115 Berger vlds... one barrel was shot out around 1100 rounds, the second has around 8-900 on it and is probably close to being toast... main sign was loosing velocity.. down to lower to mid 3200 fps range now...

did try rl-26 in them when it first came out and I'd say it was giving me similar velocity to rl25 at about 1gr less charge weight... never tried taking it above that to see where I found pressure so I can't say for sure but I'd wager I'd probably find max pressure about 50-100fps faster with rl-26... I've found that in most of my other cartridges I'm using rl-26 in...

Just never really went to rl-26 in my 2506ai's as I, like you, have a pile of rl-25 on hand and had to use it somewhere...

As far as temp sensitivity I never really found rl-25 too terrible shooting from -20c to +25c I cant say there was a huge swing in my 1000yard dope

I do believe rl-26 is better on reducing copper fouling though
(I believe that was another marketing claim they made for Reloader 26)

Orch

Thanks for that most thoughtful reply. Believe you're exactly correct re the copper fouling claim. I did remember the burning rates were supposed to be very similar. However, I reinspected Alliant's data today, and max charges of RL-26 are several grains less than RL-25 with VERY similar, same wt. bullets. This suggests to me that 25 was slower in their test vehicle. Any thoughts here? I'm about to load develop the Speer 120 BT in my newest 25-06 and appreciate any suggestions you'd have.
Thanks, Bill

Thanks for that most thoughtful reply. Believe you're exactly correct re the copper fouling claim. I did remember the burning rates were supposed to be very similar. However, I reinspected Alliant's data today, and max charges of RL-26 are several grains less than RL-25 with VERY similar, same wt. bullets. This suggests to me that 25 was slower in their test vehicle. Any thoughts here? I'm about to load develop the Speer 120 BT in my newest 25-06 and appreciate any suggestions you'd have.
Thanks, Bill

I'm no chemist so I'm not sure on burn rates... not even sure what tests they do on powders to measure their burn rates... it would seem that rl25 is slower than rl26 based on how the charge rates shake out in the loading data...however I've also heard guys say rl26 is more "energy dense" not sure how this relates to burning rate or if it has relation to burn rates... I just chalk it up to rl26 being magic pixie dust ...

When comparing H1000 to Retumbo, h1000 is faster on the burn charts, I've heard that they are actually the same powder except Retumbo has a retardant (graphite maybe?) added to it to slow down the burn rate.... so grain for grain they should have the same energy density... if there are any chemists that can correct me or enlighten on burn rates/energy density science that'd be cool.

Anyways back to the 2506 and the Speer 120's if you are looking for max speed I'm thinking rl26 is where I'd start. I use lapua 3006 brass in my 2506ai because I found it to be a bit tougher than any of the factory 2506 brass I had access to... so you could maybe squeeze a bit more speed out of speed out of your load by pushing max pressure without trashing your brass as quick...

Orch

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts