25-06ai or 270ai thoughts?

Looking to build an Ackley Improved rifle. Never had one but want one. Have a long action defiance rebel just sitting and think it would be perfect to build a 25-06ai or 270ai. I won't be shooting any further than 500 yards for these rifles and am looking for thoughts and/or experiences you guys may have. I want to shoot the heavier pills out of these so either the 120's for the .257 or the 150's out of the .270. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
My advise is the 6.5x280 ackley improved. 270 is a dud as far as I am concerned. Less bullet selection why bother with an AI in 270 when you can go buy a 270 WSM? More weight than the 25 and many very good bullets in 6.5. If you want bigger than the 6.5 I would skip the 270 and go to the 280 AI. Factory ammo in a pinch.

25/06ai! Great round. I have been debating over that and a 260ai for a while. Going with the 260ai because I can run a shorter barrel,otherwise it be 25/06ai.

Either as long as the bullets and brass are good. Don't forget the faster twist for the heavier and longer bullets.

Looking to build an Ackley Improved rifle. Never had one but want one. Have a long action defiance rebel just sitting and think it would be perfect to build a 25-06ai or 270ai. I won't be shooting any further than 500 yards for these rifles and am looking for thoughts and/or experiences you guys may have. I want to shoot the heavier pills out of these so either the 120's for the .257 or the 150's out of the .270. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Shot the .25-06. Like it.
Own the .270. Love it.

From the present posts I am in a minority with a .270 Ackley Improved. It is on a Ruger 77 action with a 26 inch Lilja barrel. The rifle is very accurate, getting .5 groups at 300 yards with it; something that I never thought possible until I had this rifle built. I wanted a "wildcat" and that's the "reason" for building this rifle in this cartridge. I'm pretty much using .270WSM load data for starting loads and go from there. One of the posts here stated to just go with a .270WSM, if that's what you want then by all means that is the way to go. I'm getting close to 3300fps with Nolser 150gr ABLRs (BC .625), but that load is hard on brass and not the most accurate. Going to start playing with the Nosler 140gr bullets next.

I'd like to build a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved (just to have another Ackley), but having some trouble with deciding what way I want to go!???? My gunsmith is ole school, feels like the 6.5-06 already is overbore and doesn't see any reason to go more than 6.5-06, plus he doesn't have a 6.5-06AI reamer; and, I have a tremendous respect for his opinion/s. Also would not discount the 6.5 Sherman cartridge, for me not certain about the economics of getting set up in that cartridge; but, it does have some benefits of good barrel life and performance. I just read a thread about the benefits of the 40 degree shoulder, and the longer neck and barrel life that made a lot of sense to me; thanks Rich!

And.....one last comment about all of this stuff about what round is bigger, better and best! If one were to be honest, sat down with paper and pencil to write down all the specifications that all of the cartridges have and make a comparison, there really is not that much difference between the "high-speed" cartridges. Yes some cartridges have there pluses over others, but....when one comes down to it, there really is not that much difference. I am a .270 fan so when a new, high-speed, intercontinental, anti-tank, elephant round comes out, I do a comparison to see if that particular cartridge is better than the .270 Winchester or the .270WSM (for my particular hunting and shooting requirements/needs), and....oftentimes there's really not enough difference for me to change over. And.....boy I suspect that I'm going to get beat up over this comment:rolleyes::rolleyes:

that's the same thing I have going. My barrel is a 3 groove Lilja though. H1000 and 115 bergers are tough to beat in mine. Fast and accurate
I'm taking my barrel off. Changing to a 25-284. Reamer and 500 131 BJ ordered! Liked my AI but it's time for a change. Barrel has to be close to done too I think. First semi custom I built.

From the present posts I am in a minority with a .270 Ackley Improved. It is on a Ruger 77 action with a 26 inch Lilja barrel. The rifle is very accurate, getting .5 groups at 300 yards with it; something that I never thought possible until I had this rifle built. I wanted a "wildcat" and that's the "reason" for building this rifle in this cartridge. I'm pretty much using .270WSM load data for starting loads and go from there. One of the posts here stated to just go with a .270WSM, if that's what you want then by all means that is the way to go. I'm getting close to 3300fps with Nolser 150gr ABLRs (BC .625), but that load is hard on brass and not the most accurate. Going to start playing with the Nosler 140gr bullets next.

I'd like to build a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved (just to have another Ackley), but having some trouble with deciding what way I want to go!???? My gunsmith is ole school, feels like the 6.5-06 already is overbore and doesn't see any reason to go more than 6.5-06, plus he doesn't have a 6.5-06AI reamer; and, I have a tremendous respect for his opinion/s. Also would not discount the 6.5 Sherman cartridge, for me not certain about the economics of getting set up in that cartridge; but, it does have some benefits of good barrel life and performance. I just read a thread about the benefits of the 40 degree shoulder, and the longer neck and barrel life that made a lot of sense to me; thanks Rich!

And.....one last comment about all of this stuff about what round is bigger, better and best! If one were to be honest, sat down with paper and pencil to write down all the specifications that all of the cartridges have and make a comparison, there really is not that much difference between the "high-speed" cartridges. Yes some cartridges have there pluses over others, but....when one comes down to it, there really is not that much difference. I am a .270 fan so when a new, high-speed, intercontinental, anti-tank, elephant round comes out, I do a comparison to see if that particular cartridge is better than the .270 Winchester or the .270WSM (for my particular hunting and shooting requirements/needs), and....oftentimes there's really not enough difference for me to change over. And.....boy I suspect that I'm going to get beat up over this comment:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I wanted to do a sherman in the worst way. My issues were I only shoot in the winter and in Mass ordering stuff online like brass and bullets is a pita. The economics of it it would curtail some of the fun along with the extra time which I don't really have. I did the 6.5/06ai because of these reasons. I got a reamer that was set up for the 140 amax. It was throated a bit longer by the smith for the 147's. The AI version reduces the brass flow more than enough to warrant it over the sloping case and shallow shoulders of the straight 06 case. With a bit more barrel than I would normally use I can easily run over 3100fps with the big bullets..
I have not shot it since October because I'm on the fence with what I'm going to do with some other projects. 1, 8.5 and 2 10tw 308 barrels. I know 1 is for a wsm and one is for a 308. That leaves 1 and IDK what that twist will be lol. I was thinking of 30 Nosler when I bought it. Then ADG announced 300PRC is coming. This puts that at the forefront. With Peterson not releasing the 300wsm brass yet I may 2 PRC's but I'd need a different chassis as the one slotted for the WSM is not a cip mag.

Your best benefits between carry and speed will be with 24- 26 in barrel. I like 24 but you loose a little of the AI potential with it. 26 probably smartest choice

24 to 26. Split the difference and do a 25". If you're carrying it I would do a #4 or #5 contour. I went with the #5 on my 0-800 yard rifle.

I'd be sure to have the .270 Barrel done in an 8" twist in order to stabilize these:

https://bergerbullets.com/product/270-caliber-170-grain-extreme-outer-limits-eol-elite-hunter/

John

I did 27 1/2 + brake. It looks like it may go to a new home as a friend took it to shoot yesterday and said he wants it. I was worried about length being too long now I'm glad I did it because I know now I have no issues with a 30" if I choose that for one of the 30 cals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.