25-06AI from '06 Brass

wadevb1

I have a 25-06AI on order and would prefer to use Lapua brass for obvious reasons. I have brushed upon forming brass and there seems to be some conflicting information concerning forming the 25-06 from 30-06 brass.

Some suggest running the 30-06 brass through a 270FL size die while others suggest only the 25-06. Some also suggest that even when properly formed the 30-06 parent brass neck will still be shorter than required.

Any tips or links to better my knowledge in this department would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wade

I just did this for my 25.06 with lapua brass. I ran the 30.06 brass through a 25-06 form die, then sized them in a fl 25.06 die, and then loaded rounds to break in the barrel. It worked alright but not great.

When chambering the loaded rounds they were very tight and it was more difficult to close the bolt than I liked. Where the shoulder and neck came together it was not smooth and I think this is what caused the tight chambering.

Anyways, they shot fine for barrel break in and with going to AI the issue I had may not affect yours at all.

Wade,

use the intermediate die, maybe even several. You'll likely wind up crushing some case necks/shoulders if you don't. I can certainly appreciate the desire to use Lapua brass, it is truly fine and wonderful stuff. But, as a general rule, you'll almost always have less trouble necking something up, rather than down. In other words, make your 7mm08 out of .243 Win, not .308 if at all possible. In the case of the 25-06, that really isn't an option, but necking things down invites some potential problems that I'd rather avoid.

In the case of some wildcats, or some extreme financial duress (yes, I made a lot of .243 Win out of 7.62x51 when I was in the service!) I'd consider this task carefully before diving in too quickly. There's a lot of factory 25-06 brass out there already . . . Try a box of the Lapua, use intermediate dies (280, 270, 6.5-06 if you can) and see how it works out for you.

Kevin Thomas

I appreciate the replies and understand people have the tightness problem with the necks from the 30-06 brass. I have the tools for turning necks so I can possibly eliminate that. I seen where some used 270 brass for forming into 25-06. While not Lapua, Norma 270 brass would be another quality brass solution. My problem would be solved if Nosler brass was more consistant.

Thanks again, more research needed.

Oh yes. I forgot to mention that I did turn the necks before they were fired and once again after firing the first time. The brass did turn out well...

I do it all the time. Mainly due to the fact I have a ton of LC brass left over from when I had a M1 Garand and purchased a bunch of LC ammo to shoot in it. I got rid of the M1 but not the brass so I started using it up in my .25-06. A couple years ago I built a .25-06 AI tight neck and resized a bunch of this brass to shoot it with. I did loose about 15% of the cases when resizing them and used a .270 die to get part way there. The finished item though works great with no problems at all. Its just a lot of work is all. Also watch your donuts.

I am also looking into turning my 25-06 ruger #1 into a 25-06 AI. What I was leaning towards doing was buying a redding Comp Bushing Necksizing Die in 25-06 and using different sized bushings to size the necks down from the Lapua 30-06 brass. By doing so I think I will eliminate having to buy multiple dies of different calibers(280rem,270win,6.5-06). Just my 2 cents.

Andrew

You will have no problems with Lapua 30-06 brass sized in a FL 25-06 die if you use a good lube like imperial sizing wax. I just was at the range today fire forming and testing loads for a Cooper 25-06AI with a 26in barrel. I've done a full box (100) of Lapua 30-06 to 25-06AI to date with out ruining a single case, and they have all turned out great, although a little short (OAL).

I found that trimming the 30-06 brass to 2.480 OAL once resized in a 25-06 FL die (Redding) would be right at 2.494 OAL. After fire forming the OAL shortened up and the neck ended up being at 0.288 with a seated bullet, so no "need" to neck turn. Although I have added neck turning to my loading and take off around .002.

Using quality brass like Lapua, and a good lube like Imperial Sizing Wax will get you great results. Glad to hear from fellow 25-06 AI shooters!

When I built my 25-06AI I bought it with a tight neck So I had no choice but to turn the necks. I used the standard 25-05 remington brass and accuracy is excellent. I can regularly get into the low 3S and have had a few 3 shot groups in the 2S. just yesterday I made 3 sort of long shots on groundhog. The farthest was 600 yards I connected on the second shot. when I sell or wear out this rifle I will form the brass the same way again.

I am a newbie on this forum so bear with me....The wealth of knowledge and experience on here amazes me.....I am glad to be on-board and hope we can share many projects and adventures.

I have been necking down 30-06 brass to 25-06 for several years.....Once fired stuff from my 30-06 and a friends all Rem brass....One shot through my RCBS std flr die, hardly anything to take off in the trimmer and ready to go....Seldom have I ever ruined any, maybe 1 in a hundred....Neck sometimes look a little odd but they chamber fine in my Rem 700 and my Douglas barreled Savage.....They shoot good the first go around and I keep them separated for neck sizing in the Savage later....I have not experienced any problems with tight necks so I assume the chamber in the Douglas is SAMMI also.....Just my experience, the Laupa brass may be a whole new ball game as I have never used it....Just thought I would add my .02...

Later,
Randy

I don t have a an AI but I just sized 200 rnds of 30-06 LC Match brass a couple weeks ago by just running them through the redding FL 25/06 sizing die, I didnt loose any cases. The only thing was like someone already said. They were tight to chamber and there was it was a bit harder to close the bolt then I like. it was all where the neck meets the shoulder. after one fire forming shot they worked fine. But with you having a 25/06 AI you shouldnt have this problem

Last edited:
Hi Wade. I shot a 6.5-06 AI for years and you WILL get short cases when fire forming any '06 length brass. The reason is because when you push the case body out to .452 from .440 and move the shoulder from 17.5 degrees to 40 degrees, the brass has to move and the only direction available is shorter. I used 270 brass then trimmed and turned to spec. I currently shoot a 6.5 Sherman which is a case of my own design based on the .270 case. It is similar to the Ackley case but has a greater case capacity. When I fire form the .270 case, it shrinks from 2.540" to approx. 2.525 (.015"). Your '06 case will do approx. the same. 2.494 to something less (probably .010 to .015". Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me..........Rich

Hi Wade. I shot a 6.5-06AI for years and you Will end up with short cases (approx .015") The reason is, when you blow the case body out from .440" to .452" and move the shoulder from 17.5 to 40 degrees, the brass HAS to shrink in length. I used .270 cases and then trimmed and turned. In most cases you didn't HAVE to turn but obviously was better for accuracy. If you don't turn necked down '06 cases you can end up with excessive pressures because of a too thick neck. (depends on what your chamber spec is? I now shoot a 6.5 Sherman which is my own design based on a .270 case. It is similar to the Ackley case but has considerable more case capacity. When I fire form it shortens approx. .015"Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.