.25 06 with SHORT barrel...

Sorry I should have also said that I handload, for 2 30-06s already and finding a good recipe with a faster powder wouldn't be an issue. Factory ammo would absolutely be a waste you're right.
I'm not by any stretch rushing out to do this, just got to thinking about it and found this thread

Grant A,

Fully understand. I have done considerable handloading myself.
A faster powder would be, I think, NECESSARY in a short-barrel rifle.
There are numerous SHORT cartridges (with heavier bullets that have excellent ballistic-coefficients) that would be MUCH BETTER choices than 25-06 in a short-barrel rifle. I happen to FAVOR the 7mm projectile for those reasons.
30 caliber is also good....MANY choices of bullets !!!
( and BETTER "knock-down" POWER. )
An Uncle of mine killed MANY Big-Game (including Elk, Moose, and Caribou) with a 300 Savage lever-action. A "smaller cartridge" WITH PUNCH !

Good Luck with YOUR choice !
---56Wrecker---

Realistically I should stick with some sort of 30cal, since I already load 30-06 & 308 I have plenty of bullets on hand. Thanks for the advice!

Grant A,
You are certainly WELCOME !
But....remember.....It's only One-Man's opinion. ( MY opinion )

I also like the 30 caliber !
MY FAVORITE rifle of ALL TIME....is the Military SPRINGFIELD 30-06 (sporterized)

BEST to YOU ! :)
---56Wrecker---

Short barrel for 25-06 then you only have a 257 Roberts in performance......does not lend itself good to short barrels.....

..for suppressor work the 308 win and 20" work excellent

Unless you have a particular reason for a short barrel and a Suppressor.....
I'd rebarrel the rifle with a LONG THICK HEAVY (Varmint-Style) barrel ....
.....so that you can get "full-value" from the 25-06 cartridge.

Otherwise ...you're just shooting an under-performing rifle.

just the opinion of a LONG-TIME 25-06 shooter/hunter.

BUT....this is ONLY MY opinion.....and I have NO idea what your "original objectives" entailed.

GOOD LUCK !!! :)
X2 I wouldn't go shorter than 24", 26" preferred.

Reuben

I would be making some handloads starting with Varget or R15 and CCI Magnum primers. Varget works great with 75 grain V-maxs in a 24" barrel. Had been using H4350 max load and got playing around and realized the faster powder does work. Look at the faster powders listed for the 25-06 and give them a try. My next 25-06 is going to be a shorter 22" barrel truck gun. I think you can still get the velosity with the right bullet/powder combo to do the job. What other caliber can you shoot 75-90 grain bullets out of a 22" barrel as fast as the 25-06?

I shoot a .7mm-08 M77 Compact for thick Brush or long hikes, and I agree with above, fast powder. I worked loads for my dad's 7mm-08 and my own, and found the slowest powders showed the best performance in my dad's 22inch varmint barrel, and faster powders were better for my compact, when I was finished the FPS spread between both rifles was almost exactly 100.
What bullets did you wanna use? and what is your barrel twist? I have a T/c Encore in 25-06 and if I had accidently lopped the barrel off right now, I would start with three each 100gr Nos BT three over 40gr of Reloder 15(extremely fast for -06s) and three over 50gr of RL17 or RL19, and three with 115gr Barnes TSX over 48gr of RL19, and work up from there. These are bullets and powders I have readily available, and from my research would feel safe working with. In almost every manual or powder website I referenced, IMR4350 seemed to be the fastest powder that gave consistent velocity with a full case, but they all used 24" test barrels. I would do your own research before attempting any of these, as my opinions are based on personal experience and my own research and I am not a professional on gunpowders.

Last edited:
You could have your smith set the chamber back and convert to a 25 Super. Same bolt face with an efficient cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.