25-06 vs moose???

mac2506

Hey there everybody, going with my pops for moose this year im shooting my 25-06 with a 115 nosler ballistic with 49 grains im comfortable goin out to 600 yrds not that i would shoot at a moose with it at that range but......just wondering if anyone has tried this?????

oh ya and pops has his 338 semi browning:D:D:D in case my pea shooter doesn't get her done lolgun)

and im from Manitoba Canada thx

Last edited:
I have used a 25-06 in the past on a variety of animals. I would NOT suggest using that bullet on a moose. The ballistic tips I have shot in my 25-06 have opened up very quickly. Like blowing big entrance holes in a antelope. Opening FAST with little penetration. Use a accubond or partition. A bonded bullet that will hold together and give some penetration. You are using a borderline caliber so use the best bullet you can get.
Moose are very big animals. Not the most difficult to kill, but you need to penetrate a distance to get to the vitals. That is not what the ballistic tips are designed to do. Best of luck. Bruce

I totally agree. The BT is a poor choice for moose and even more so with a small caliber. They are not durable bullets and you can very likely end up with a wounded/lost moose.

Using a small caliber on a big animal demands a quality, deep-penetrating bullet.

After spending the money on a moose hunt, there is no reason to bet the whole thing on a marginal bullet. Go with the heaviest bullet that you can get to shoot good and stay with the premium lines.

As was stated, moose are not real hard to kill, but they are heavy and thick.

25-06 is a great caliber but seems a bit small to me for moose. Like all the other posts i suggest the heaviest bullet you can find and make it a bullet that will retain all its weight. They are a big animal. My dad shot a 880 lb bull in nh with a 7mm RM with a 140 corlokt and it went down on the spot, but it was at about 50 yards away. So no they aren't difficult to kill... just make sure of your shot placement with that caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.