25-06 vs 6.5x55

jtr1997

I have a tikka 300wsm and love it, but i want a smaller caliber. I want another tikka but thats not set in stone. What i want to know if which caliber i should go with. I want to shoot long range targets up to 1k yards. might shoot some wolves or coyotes but mainly just be a benchrest gun.

I would look at the .260 Rem. Great caliber, low recoiling, very capable, often looked-over, and better barrel life than the .25-06, since you are wanting it primarily for a BR gun.

Don't get me wrong, the I have a .25-06 AI for a coyote and varmint gun, and it's quite a shooter...But they are not known for having a super long barrel life, which is why mine is a hunting gun only...That way the barrel will last a very long time.

i know its alot smaller and not as good for long range, but 220 swift is my prefered choice does anybody know any manufactures that still make it, i dont want to risk buying someone elses worn out barrel

6.5 has better bullet choices than .25 calibre. The 6.5x55 has always been one of my favourite cartridges........of course I still shoot a 7x57 also :)

i know its alot smaller and not as good for long range, but 220 swift is my prefered choice does anybody know any manufactures that still make it, i dont want to risk buying someone elses worn out barrel

Remington still makes a rifle in 220 swift. I used to run mine with a 44.5 grains of IMR 4831 and a 55 grain vmax close to 3900fps would shoot .5 moa or better everytime out. It was a great round out to 500 yards that's as far as I shot it.

I agree - a 6.5 will give you better bullet selection for shooting long range. Tikka T3s are nice rifles, I think you could get one of the CTR models in a 260 Rem.

well i have time to think about it, i need a scope for my 300 wsm first all i have on it now is a 3-9 simmons haha. I also wanted something cheap to shoot, which is why im looking at 220 swift and 22-250

well i have time to think about it, i need a scope for my 300 wsm first all i have on it now is a 3-9 simmons haha. I also wanted something cheap to shoot, which is why im looking at 220 swift and 22-250

Do you reload? If so, I'd go with 6.5x55, one of my favorite chamberings; it's been around longer than our venerable .30-06. :cool:

As mentioned, availability of better bullets in the 6.5mm make it a better long range choice than the 25-06.

The only conceivable reason to go with a .260 over a 6.5x55 in a modern rifle is if you need it to fit a short action, or perhaps, to avoid neutered U.S. factory ammo. The 6.5x55 has advantages over the .260 in every other category.

My understanding of the Tikka rifles is that they do not offer an actual short action. Rather, they simply install a magazine block to better fit short action cartridges. In that situation, the 6.5x55 is a no-brainer.

Remington may still make it in the VSSF. I have one and love it, it's a real nail driver.

If you can't find what you want in a swift look at the 22-250 since they are almost ballistically identical.

If "cheap to shoot" is the criteria look at the .223 and .22 Hornet. Both are dirt cheap to shoot and great varmint calibers. They won't give you the same speed as the swift but they'll certainly do the job.

Ruger still makes a varmint model 77 in the Hornet and they are great rifles.

There are tons of .223's as well including in the cheaper PSS/tactical style Remingtons.

The Hornet hits a real sweet spot for me for some reason so I'll probably always have at least one.

Do you reload? If so, I'd go with 6.5x55, one of my favorite chamberings; it's been around longer than our venerable .30-06. :cool:
It still rules the roost as the most popular big game cartridge in much of the world too.

A guy couldn't go wrong with either the 6.5x55 or 260 Rem.

So many great caliber choices, so little room left in the gun room! :D

I have a Tikka T3 in .22-250 and it is a tack driver. Cheap to shoot. But if you are still deciding between the 25-06 and 6.5x55 I would go with the 6.5x55. great round, easy to load, and very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.