25-06 vs 257 wby

I don't see the problem with the belt as I just touch the shoulders anyhow. But I do like the availabilty of 25-06 brass or the others based on the 30-06 case. It is much much cheaper and with the cost of everything going up nowadays, I have to pay attention to that.
I would build a 25-06 Ackley Improved...
Does it have to be fire formed for each case?

my 257 Weatherby mag. with a Brux 27 inch barrel shoots 100 gr. Nosler Partitions out of my Ruger #1 3,800 FPS and still shoots a 5 shot group under 1 inch at 100 yards , i can make with this Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag 27 inch barrel push it too 4,000 fps but the group opens up .

I don't see that much difference between an AI and a Weatherby May. Maybe 100fps. I don't see how a 20" barrel even to start with is going to out perform a 26' barrel length in any caliber to start with. I generally gain between 30 and 100fps per inch over 24" barrel and a 20" barrel, I find that hard to believe.
I think he meant between the 6.5 CM and 25 CM using equal heavy for caliber bullets. At least that's what I got from the thread.

I don't see that much difference between an AI and a Weatherby May. Maybe 100fps. I don't see how a 20" barrel even to start with is going to out perform a 26' barrel length in any caliber to start with. I generally gain between 30 and 100fps per inch over 24" barrel and a 20" barrel, I find that hard to believe.
I concur

I will say this. For the difference in powder between both, I wouldn't take the 257 Wby over the 25/06AI. The powder difference is tremendous and the performance doesn't match the powder difference. The only thing that really makes a huge difference is the recoil, barrel wear and powder burnt. I think maybe a 25 WSM would be real close but burn much less powder. Not knocking the old Roy Mag because it's a Rocker but...It's a Rocker.

Weatherby made their rep on big shells/cases - lotsa powder - speed. Early on - they were too fast for bullets (construction) of the time - and I knew a guy who went on numerous Africa Safaris and hated them. But they also have a big following and build solid rifles -- now in Wyoming ?

I agree with your comment on barrel length. My friend just ordered a custom rifle in 7MM RM. The riflemaker suggested a 20" barrel. My suggestion was 24" or better yet 25".

I like short barrels--love suppressors and a 16.5-18 in barrel with a 6 in can just works. But I will say--both my 257 have in excess of 24 in barrels---one a 24.5 and the other a 25in barrel..I had one with a 28 and I really didnt see that much gain over my 25 in barrel.

Ed

I love the .25-06. I ve had several for years. Many deer and antelope to their credits. I had a .257 weatherby once, good cartridge as well but the availability of good 25-06 ammo make me lean that way. At under 400 yds I don t think you ll notice much difference.

Actually I should add I love all the .25s, Just bought a 25-284 on a nesika action, can t wait to try it out. Even the old 257 Roberts is a fine round.

Last edited:
I will say this. For the difference in powder between both, I wouldn't take the 257 Wby over the 25/06AI. The powder difference is tremendous and the performance doesn't match the powder difference. The only thing that really makes a huge difference is the recoil, barrel wear and powder burnt. I think maybe a 25 WSM would be real close but burn much less powder. Not knocking the old Roy Mag because it's a Rocker but...It's a Rocker.
The general rule of thumb is 1% velocity increase for every 4% increase in powder if and this is the important part if you are going to compare AT THE SAME PRESSURE. If you raise the pressure on the new cartridge then you can get a lot more speed even if you used the same case volume.

450 yards is long range here in The South.

My nephew shoots two custom 257 Weatherby's.

A. 26" Pac Nor, 10 twist 3 groove with zero freebore. Load is the 80 Barnes TTSX at 4130 with R#19.

B. 26" X Caliber, 9T shooting the 115g Bergers at 3600 with R#22, .050 freebore

Both rifles shoot in the high 2's for groups.

Using the Gentry Muzzle break that throws the concussion forward, nephew says he sees the bullet impact on every animal, near and far. Water vapor flies off the animal on impact, and he sees the bullet impact behind the animal on trees and hill sides. He has never had an animal move after bullet impact.

My nephew is VERY recoil sensitive, and he simply loves the two 257's!

Short freebore in the 257 Weatherby gains you velocity and accuracy. Bullets jumping .300 getting started crooked can never be a good thing. The Double radius on the weatherby ******* the issue of doughnuts forming with the bullet seated deeper in the case.

I had a reamer ground by PTG years ago with the neck length of 264 Winchester brass formed to 257 Weatherby brass. The 264 brass formed the double radius perfectly in the necked down brass in one pass through the 257 Weatherby full length sizer. There was no down side in using the Winchester brand of brass to form the weatherby. I could have used the weatherby length neck in my chamber, and cleaned the chamber neck with a 38 caliber pistol brush to remove carbon build up. I did not have a bore scope to monitor carbon build up in the neck at that point in my life.

100's in the 257 Weatherby at 3850 is real world at the accuracy node using R#22 with Fed 215's, 85-87g bullets are in the area of 4130 fps using R#19 and/or IMR 4831 with 26" barrels. The old AA3100 powder is magic for the 85-87g bullets at 4100+ with tiny groups with all shots touching at 100 yards.

A pard is shooting Rock Chucks with a 12T, 30" barrel, R#22 at 4000 fps with the 100g bullets. I hunted coyotes with one of my rifles, hair floated down for minutes as the coyote was just about shot in half with 100g speer BTSP with a MV of 3850. Full grown Rock chucks were blown for 30' with just the right angle.