25-06 vs 257 wby

I get the want of shooting higher bc bullets but I wouldn't under estimate 110 noslers at quite a distance. My old eyes have a hard time spotting game where they still act like a death ray

I'm going to bend the topic a bit, but others have mentioned the AI and such. Seems to me a case could be made for a .25 Weatherby wildcat based on the new 6.5 RPM case. It's the most bang for the buck one can get out of the .473 bolt face, and light rifles would be easier to put together. This coming from a guy whose only .25 caliber is a Savage stainless bolt-gun in .250-3000. It actually belongs to my wife, and is extremely accurate.

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
I love my 25-06 especially with 120 gr noslers and a compressed load of h 870. Consistently under 3/8 inch 100 yd groups if I don't hurry my groups cause it's a pretty skinny barrel.

257 wby is hard to beat. I've used mine to kill everything from jackrabbits to shiras moose. I burned up the first barrel in a few years and recently put a 1:7 twist on it... and it's even more awesome now. 128gr Hammer Hunters and 131 Blackjack Aces will have all of your bases covered.

Have you shot any game with the heavier bullets ?
Have you shot any light bullets in your quick twist barrel.

Hal

Have you shot any game with the heavier bullets ?
Have you shot any light bullets in your quick twist barrel.

Hal
I've only killed a few coyotes with the 131's. No issues, performance was similar to bergers.

I've shot 115 ballistic tips, 115vlds, and 100gr partitions without any issues.

I put a 27" Shilen barrel on a Rem. 700 action, and it will run 100 gr. bullets out over 3600, so I'm kind of an -06 fan. Cheaper, more readily available brass, and it loves Re-22. But, to each his own. I carried that rifle one weekend, coyote hunting, and the 17# made my shoulders ache, so I came home and built a 'carry' 25, with a 26" Shilen barrel, and run 85 gr. ballistic tips out of it at just over 3800; lights out on coyotes! And their fur isn't worth much to begin with.

I put a 27" Shilen barrel on a Rem. 700 action, and it will run 100 gr. bullets out over 3600, so I'm kind of an -06 fan. Cheaper, more readily available brass, and it loves Re-22. But, to each his own. I carried that rifle one weekend, coyote hunting, and the 17# made my shoulders ache, so I came home and built a 'carry' 25, with a 26" Shilen barrel, and run 85 gr. ballistic tips out of it at just over 3800; lights out on coyotes! And their fur isn't worth much to begin with.

I expect that the 100 @ 3600 is out of your 257 Bee correct?

I love my Ruger #1 in 25/06 but wanted to get pass the single shot and had a custom 25/06 ack built by Kevin Weaver. Love the rifle don't think i needed the break on it but was the first custom I had built so went with it.

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
I would build a 25-06 Ackley Improved...