25-06 vs 257 wby

You should be fine with the 1:7.5" twist and should be a zinger.
Sure hope so. I'm not 100% sold on the Berger twist calculator but it puts this bullet at marginal stability (1.43) at 800'asl, 3250 fps, .570 bc. At 3000'asl, they are 1.68 and into safe stability. I knew all this going into the purchase and I feel like you do. We'll see tho.

Thinking about another 257 Weatherby build with SAAMI spec reamer. Can't decide in 1-7, 1-7.25, or 1-7.5 twist. May go 7 and can always run the heavier Hammers if the Berger's don't work out.

Thinking about another 257 Weatherby build with SAAMI spec reamer. Can't decide in 1-7, 1-7.25, or 1-7.5 twist. May go 7 and can always run the heavier Hammers if the Berger's don't work out.
If you get into heavier solids, I'd say stick with the 7 twist. It'll work great with the Berger's and Blackjacks also.

Sure hope so. I'm not 100% sold on the Berger twist calculator but it puts this bullet at marginal stability (1.43) at 800'asl, 3250 fps, .570 bc. At 3000'asl, they are 1.68 and into safe stability. I knew all this going into the purchase and I feel like you do. We'll see tho.
I came up with different SGs than you ...

Cayuga 117 bullet info.JPG

(https://patriotvalleyarms.com/flm-257-117gr-cayuga-hunting-bullets-50ct/)

Cayuga 117 on Berger SG calculator 1 of 3 0 sea level.JPG

Cayuga 117 on Berger SG calculator 2 of 3 0 800'.JPG

Cayuga 117 on Berger SG calculator 3 of 3 0 3000'.JPG

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
A few things to keep in mind when you decide on your dream rifle.
1. You can make a 257 Weatherby into a 25-06 but not the other way around.
2. Choose a twist that will handle a decent hunting weight mono. Expect that you will be forced to use them in the future. Best to plan ahead.
I have not used the 25-06 but have used the 257 Weatherby and love the cartridge.

Actually glad you ran those numbers. I used wrong bullet length in my calculator. I had 4 where the 3 should be. Makes a huge difference where bullet length is concerned. Your numbers are correct. Thanks for that post. Much more confident now that they'll do fine.

A few things to keep in mind when you decide on your dream rifle.
1. You can make a 257 Weatherby into a 25-06 but not the other way around.
2. Choose a twist that will handle a decent hunting weight mono. Expect that you will be forced to use them in the future. Best to plan ahead.
I have not used the 25-06 but have used the 257 Weatherby an love the cartridge.
I think you meant that you can rechamber to a .257 Wby from a 25-06. Can't make a .25-06 from a 257 Wby.

The 25-06 Sako L61 (Ackley barrel) I have owned for more years than I like to admit, is the most accurate tack driver I have ever owned. Shoots factory ammo as well as reloads and puts 'em in one ragged hole.

Psssst......little secret.....buy the lightweight Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby. Bed it, feed with RL25 or RL26 and a 100 TSX.

I have said arrangement and it is a true <3/4" monster. Flattens most anything it hits (caveats apply). I've used it on a couple of giant hogs and some very big mule deer and whitetails. It's so fast It's a flop-bang proposition rather than a bang-flop.

P.S. Mine isn't for sale.