25-06 vs 257 wby

25/06= family sedan. Practical, good fuel milrage easy on the tires, family car.
257 Bee=Lamborghini. Expensive to drive but holy ****
Looked up 25/06AI ver. 257WBM Sierra Manual. There not much difference in velocity. That was my first response. I an again not a wby man, and I didn't like the free bore in their rifles either. I fired a 300wbm for my uncle, and I couldn't get it to group. If I remember correctly it was about 1.5" at a 100yds. Not my reloads either. He was happy with it, and so I left it that way.

Looked up 25/06AI ver. 257WBM Sierra Manual. There not much difference in velocity. That was my first response. I an again not a wby man, and I didn't like the free bore in their rifles either. I fired a 300wbm for my uncle, and I couldn't get it to group. If I remember correctly it was about 1.5" at a 100yds. Not my reloads either. He was happy with it, and so I left it that way.
Every gun is different. I have several makes that produced poor shooters and pretty impressive shooters. We have 2 300 weatherbys and one will shoot 1/2"MOA and the other would drive tacks. I have a 270 weatherby mag and you can shoot tacks with it. For 1000 yd benchrest I used a 7/300 weatherby and it shot well but times have changed in that game so I shoot a smaller caliber. I had a 2506 and it shot well with 100 grain Bullets. But always out shot it with a 7/300 weatherby so I stripped it down and had Howard Wolf turn it into a long range 7/300 for hunting. But I am thinking of getting another 25 cal for hunting at shorter distances just maybe a 25x47.

That what make the firearms manufactures sell their rifles. Everybody has there own ideal as to what they like and dislike. I am just not a big fan of wby's that's all. When the came out there was a lot of free bore. I am not up on them presently, so things may have changed. It seem that most people here that reload moves their bullet either touching or very close to the rifle lands. That different than what my understanding of wby are built on. This may have changed over the years, and I am not aware of it. I am not going to change my, nor your mind, and that what's makes the world go around. It's doesn't upset me if somebody doesn't want to shoot what I am shooting. From what I read here on this forum a lot of people have moved away from using belted mag. I have belted mags mostly in several different calibers. The person was asking about calibers and what to build. I stated what I though was a good cartridge to built, and you did too. Right now brass is somewhat hard to come by, and it may get harder with the one we have in the Whitehouse presently.

I am NOT trying to convince you to change your mind, just simply passing information that might be pertinent for your intended use. Below are the bullets I was referring to.

https://badlandsprecision.com/product/257-110gr-super-bulldozer-2/

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/flm-257-117gr-cayuga-hunting-bullets-50ct/

My build plan was to propel the 133 Bergers primarily, but I cannot get them at the moment, but I can get the above bullets.
Got my PVAs also. They look great. Hope they do fine in my 7.5 twist. Should be able to push them around 3250. I'm just above sea level at around 800'. Really like to see how they perform on deer.

25-06 all day long. Its flat, accurate and deadly. Shot Placement is the key. Speed doesn't matter if you are using the rifle for hunting. If you are good at sighting in, you'll love 25-06. Less recoil, more bullet selection.
When you say more bullet selection do you mean more factory ammo offerings?

257 Wby hands down. Stuff it with some hammers and cram it full of somethin slow and you got the closest thing there is to a lazer beam. Mine's liking RL26 @ 3,925ish 3/4" at 200. Magpro was faster (3965) but the accuracy was'nt quite as good.
Koonazz,
Which Hammers are you shooting?
Dave

I am NOT trying to convince you to change your mind, just simply passing information that might be pertinent for your intended use. Below are the bullets I was referring to.

https://badlandsprecision.com/product/257-110gr-super-bulldozer-2/

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/flm-257-117gr-cayuga-hunting-bullets-50ct/

My build plan was to propel the 133 Bergers primarily, but I cannot get them at the moment, but I can get the above bullets.
Feenix,
What freebore are you going with custom, Blackjack spec, or factory?

Feenix,
What freebore are you going with custom, Blackjack spec, or factory?
SAAMI spec, the .257 WBTY has plenty of freebore already.

Weatherby free bore.JPG

Koonazz,
Which Hammers are you shooting?
Dave
Hammers are'nt finicky about jump. Since they have less bearing surface than conventionals you'll want as much of the ringed portion in contact with the neck as possible. I loaded mine to where the start of the boattail is at the neck/shoulder junction and the case mouth is on a groove for crimping. Seems to work fine.