25-06 vs 257 wby

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
I have the 2506 Sendero which shoots great.

Ok so in regards to reloading a weatherby caliber; in a custom chamber, is there any benefit to getting minimum freebore and have a precise measurement to the lands? And if not, do you just load up rounds to SAAMI length and tweak the OAL from there?

Didn't take that part into account, but I will definitely be reloading for it.

I've got both, built a 25-06 in '69' before Remington commercially manufactured the cartridge. Was 25 Neider I think. Great gun, 100gr Sierra SP in the day made one hole at 100. Nowadays the distance is just another click or a few. Wby is great, but brass is more, as with recoil. Go with your gut.

CB4128---what ranges do you consistently take deer and lopes at and how far out are you able to practice to?

You can't go wrong with either rig

There was a special run of 28" barreled #1's in 257 Wby, I think Lipseys did the run. Uffda would that be a sexy rig...:)

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
I would definitely choose the .257 Weatherby.

Last year I shot mine at 600 yards with my 6.5 SAUM, but most of my shots have been 400 and in typically.

that's the range I'd be targeting with this rifle; 600 max.

I regularly shoot further but have other rigs that can do it as well.

25-06 all day long. Its flat, accurate and deadly. Shot Placement is the key. Speed doesn't matter if you are using the rifle for hunting. If you are good at sighting in, you'll love 25-06. Less recoil, more bullet selection.

I hate that there are no high BC bullets for the 25's! My Browning falling block shoots wonderfully but fails for longer ranges because of the bullets. And more speed isn't the answer as I can peel the skin off the lead like a banana 🍌 at 3300+fps. And that's with my stock 1in 10 rifling🤠 good luck with your project.
It is slow, but bullet manufacturers are making high BC manufacturers in .25s.

BD2 110g = G7 of .292 (https://badlandsprecision.com/product/257-110gr-super-bulldozer-2/)

Cayuga 117g = G7 of .282 (https://patriotvalleyarms.com/flm-257-117gr-cayuga-hunting-bullets-50ct/)

Blackjack 131 = G7 of .332 (https://blackjackbullets.com/product/blackjack-131-grain-ace-match-bullet-100-ct/?v=ed5e635ddcfb)

Berger 133 = G7 of .315 (https://bergerbullets.com/product/25-caliber-133-grain-elite-hunter/)

Berger 135 = G7 of .334 (https://bergerbullets.com/product/25-caliber-135-grain-long-range-hybrid-target/)

If you noticed, I never mentioned velocity in any of my posts. A faster barrel twist rate is for the gyroscopic stabilization of a certain bullet design. Having a faster twist barrel does not necessarily equate to more velocity. I have yet to peel a banana, but I came close with a coyote with 175 Matrix at 2993 FPS out of my .270 AI at 525Y. 😇

1 of 2 coyote.jpg

2 of 2 coyote.jpg

Yes, I am looking forward to my project as this is my 1st .25 cal. Thanks.

Coming in after all these pages of advice, my $0.02, started with a 257AI in '87, loaded Speer 120 BT and took many coyotes, muleys, whitetails, and antelope. Rechambered it to 2506 in '15, have it dialed in with 120 Partitions at 3022 FPS. Not really super sexy but nothing has walked away. When I shoot this barrel out I'll probably look at the the AI version, keeping the same bolt face .

257bee with the 128 hammer hunter would be a solid choice if I was picking between those calibers specifically. Either way I'd go with a 7 twist. More and more bullets will continue to come out for the .25 caliber. Twist rates will need to be fast to keep up with the heavies or monos. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Wow, definitely hit a popular topic here! Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I'm leaning towards the 257 weatherby at this point, and will have to rebarrel a magnum action to get there. I have looked at the remington sf models and the wood just doesn't do anything for me. I'm looking at a Sako L691 with some really nice wood and a kimber classic as well.

The Sako will be 30-40% higher, but I could also go with a heavier blank - probably a #3. Leaning this direction and possibly a 1-8 twist to shoot the 135gr bergers? I'd like to be able to shoot 110-135gr if possible.

Would that be a 7,8, or 9 twist ideally you guys think?

Thanks again!
Of those three twists and wanting to shoot 135's at some point, there is only one right answer for me. And that answer is a 7 twist. Why hamstring yourself with the slower twist????

I have a 257 WBY Mark 5 with the synthetic stock and 24" fluted barrel with a Premier Heritage 3X15X50 scope. Using WBY factory ammo(110 Accubonds and 115 Nosler BT) it shoots 2" at 500 yards no problem. My only issue with the gun is the meat damage for shots less than 200 yards. I only use this gun if I'm expecting to shoot 200 yards or further now. I have a 270 WBY and a 300 WBY Mark V Deluxe with wood stocks that are really nice. Both shoot great and look fantastic. All three of these guns shot great out of the box and continue to do so. Ammo is expensive but they shoot so well I don't have to spend too many shots at the range getting ready for hunting season. The WBY is a good option to get some nice wood and get a gun a little quicker.

If I remember correctly partition velocity limits was under 2900fps. They came apart on me. I don't use them period. Nosler accubonds I use mostly in my rifles. The have done a good job without much blood shot.