25-06 vs 257 wby

I also like both calibers, I've had a Sako in 25-06 and it was great!!! I let a friend talk me out of it or I would still have it. I have always liked the 257 Roberts on paper and for the reduced recoil. I reload also so the absence of 257 factory ammo could be overcome but it would be difficult. I have seen 25-06 shells on the shelf at my local gun shop even now so that would probably be the better option.
I picked up a Sako Av 25-06, 1/10 twist deluxe back in 87. Didn't load then just box ammo when Nosler came out with the 115!ballistic tip I started loading. I have taken many deer with that combination and pigs. Gelled the heart lungs. Never had excessive damage. Now with the 110 AB still working. I thought about a 257 Weatherby but opted for the 270 Weatherby back in 90 or so. Minimal recoil with the 25-06. Sweet little gun. Should have worked on a set of Sako deluxe Av since they now want precious amounts for them. Back in 87 they went for about 650 and shot sub 1inch. Shoulda woulda!

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
.257 Weatherby in a Mark V deluxe. A firearm you can pass down to your kids.

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?

How much retumbo are you using in ur 2506 ?
I don't have the log in front of me here, but if memory serves I am using 59-60gr. I have a slightly longer throat and seat the 110's out longer and run 5-10 thou off the lands. That load will stay in the .5moa range and drops game very well. Most likely, when that barrel is toasted, I plan to rebarrel in AI with similar throat length.

Wow, definitely hit a popular topic here! Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I'm leaning towards the 257 weatherby at this point, and will have to rebarrel a magnum action to get there. I have looked at the remington sf models and the wood just doesn't do anything for me. I'm looking at a Sako L691 with some really nice wood and a kimber classic as well.

The Sako will be 30-40% higher, but I could also go with a heavier blank - probably a #3. Leaning this direction and possibly a 1-8 twist to shoot the 135gr bergers? I'd like to be able to shoot 110-135gr if possible.

Would that be a 7,8, or 9 twist ideally you guys think?

Thanks again!

.257 Weatherby in a Mark V deluxe. A firearm you can pass down to your kids.
I own both, there are a few things worth consideration. If you hand load then the cost of the 257 Weatherby ammo isn't as much of a concern. But keep in mind it's a Weatherby mag and there is no loading bullets to the lands, where the 25-06 can be tweaked to perfection.

Last edited:
They don't have the slow twist but the two wood stocked vanguards my brother has are super accurate with 110's and spot on with premium weatherby ammo. 6-8 es ds. Not sure how much better a guy can do. They look pretty good to me as well. I've heard dry weather isn't the best on them

Just my opinion,
Go with the 25-06 for obvious reasons.
1, brass is less expensive
2, brass is easier to obtain and can make your own on 06 family cases.
3, In a pinch and you need to shoot factory ammo, 257W will give you sticker shock and make you soil your pants at the price.
4, If you can't hit what you are aiming for, the W won't work either.
5, 25-06 uses lots less powder and barrel life will out last your hunting life.
6, Don't be afraid to use on larger game if you are a true hunter.
7, your choice of bullets to load is spot on.
8, love 💘 my quarter bores

Either will do the job to extreme ethical hunting ranges on your intended game animals. I suggest contacting the gunsmith you are planning to use, if the rifle is to be a custom, and inquire about what chamber reamers he has. If it's to be a factory rifle, I suggest shopping on the basis of what barrel lengths and weights are available. -Ed

257 Weatherby Mag, super hot long range round for medium game. I suggest you use Weatherby Brass which used to be from Norma . Use a 26 inch Barrel to get the full benefit of that round. I also suggest you use only Fed 215 M primers for all your loads. I own three Weatherby Rifles and also a Weatherby 22 LR . I think they are fine , accurate good looking sporting rifles !!! Best of luck buddy

I've had both and now own the 25-06 and a 6.53 lazeroni and out of the choices you have listed I'd say 25-06 all day. If you need more velocity than a 25-06 cartridge I would steer clear of the weatherby a get a 25 stw or a 6.53 scramjet. The 257 Wby was a pain in the *** and could never get acceptably accurate. My 25-06 was exceptionally more accurate than the 257 wby.