25-06 vs 257 wby

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
257 Weatherby hands down...👍🏻

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
I grew up hunting with a 25-06. I used it from woodchuck hunting to white tails and it did well. Brass is cheaper and easier to find, but I would base my decision on what good brass is available. A 257 weatherby is a hard shooting gun but I have no personal experience with it. I know gentlemen that just passed away and for years he used a 257 Robert's for elk but he knew his limitations and did well with it. Give it time and you will probably see a screaming 25 nosler come out I think especially with all the new calibers that they already created.

I cannot really answer this. I think the 25-06 is great cartridge and know people who swear by it.
But I am SO biased. I love my .257 Roy. Mark 5 action, 27 inch tube, macmillan stock. I point it at things and they quickly fall over. This has happened many, many hundreds of times, over many years. I will never let that gun go until I am too old to take it out and then it will be passed on to an appropriate soul.

I cannot really answer this. I think the 25-06 is great cartridge and know people who swear by it.
But I am SO biased. I love my .257 Roy. Mark 5 action, 27 inch tube, macmillan stock. I point it at things and they quickly fall over. This has happened many, many hundreds of times, over many years. I will never let that gun go until I am too old to take it out and then it will be passed on to an appropriate soul.
Absolutely! I've never owned a caliber thats dropped as many in their tracks. Kills way bigger than it is.

I was initially going the same route but went with 1:7" to give me the flexibility to shoot the 110 Super BD2 and 117 Cayuga.
I was initially going the same route but went with 1:7" to give me the flexibility to shoot the 110 Super BD2 and 117 Cayuga.
I hate that there are no high BC bullets for the 25's! My Browning falling block shoots wonderfully but fails for longer ranges because of the bullets. And more speed isn't the answer as I can peel the skin off the lead like a banana 🍌 at 3300+fps. And that's with my stock 1in 10 rifling🤠 good luck with your project.

257 Roberts...conserve powder (so there will be more for the rest of us)

Have you put any thought into the stock yet, as far as companies? I just got mine from Inner Mountain rifles. And the workmanship is outstanding

I hate that there are no high BC bullets for the 25's! My Browning falling block shoots wonderfully but fails for longer ranges because of the bullets. And more speed isn't the answer as I can peel the skin off the lead like a banana 🍌 at 3300+fps. And that's with my stock 1in 10 rifling🤠 good luck with your project.
Don't be surprised that a bullet manufacturer will be coming out with a heavy sleek 25 caliber bullet maybe Berger or someone else

Can't go wrong with either. I personally wanted a 257 with a nice wood stock and couldn't find one. As it turns out I took a 300 win and necked it down. It's a 257 on steroids LOL. I keep it loaded down to 3600 FPS with 120 grain barns

25-06 brass is easier to get and a whole lot cheaper. Find the nice wood gun you like and let that dictate which one.