25-06 vs 257 wby

Short freebore in the 257 Weatherby gains you velocity and accuracy. Bullets jumping .300 getting started crooked can never be a good thing. The Double radius on the weatherby ******* the issue of doughnuts forming with the bullet seated deeper in the case.

I had a reamer ground by PTG years ago with the neck length of 264 Winchester brass formed to 257 Weatherby brass. The 264 brass formed the double radius perfectly in the necked down brass in one pass through the 257 Weatherby full length sizer. There was no down side in using the Winchester brand of brass to form the weatherby. I could have used the weatherby length neck in my chamber, and cleaned the chamber neck with a 38 caliber pistol brush to remove carbon build up. I did not have a bore scope to monitor carbon build up in the neck at that point in my life.

100's in the 257 Weatherby at 3850 is real world at the accuracy node using R#22 with Fed 215's, 85-87g bullets are in the area of 4130 fps using R#19 and/or IMR 4831 with 26" barrels. The old AA3100 powder is magic for the 85-87g bullets at 4100+ with tiny groups with all shots touching at 100 yards.

A pard is shooting Rock Chucks with a 12T, 30" barrel, R#22 at 4000 fps with the 100g bullets. I hunted coyotes with one of my rifles, hair floated down for minutes as the coyote was just about shot in half with 100g speer BTSP with a MV of 3850. Full grown Rock chucks were blown for 30' with just the right angle.
LOL - hair floated down for minutes. Great description. Do you sell the leftover pelt parts. :)

i just rebarreled a mark 5 Weatherby action with a 28 inch Brux barrel contour #4 , 8 twist ,chambered in a 257 Weatherby mag. with my reamer . yes this rifle cartridge uses plenty powder in Weatherby case ,i don`t care expense doesn`t matter much when you build a fast accurate rifle that will shoot a long ways out using either 128 gr. Hammer bullets , 131 gr. B.J. bullets or 135 gr. Berger bullets at 3300 -3400 fps . this is my new project rifle that should be fun to figure out with my handloads with a big Nightforce scope mounted on this rifle.

i just rebarreled a mark 5 Weatherby action with a 28 inch Brux barrel contour #4 , 8 twist ,chambered in a 257 Weatherby mag. with my reamer . yes this rifle cartridge uses plenty powder in Weatherby case ,i don`t care expense doesn`t matter much when you build a fast accurate rifle that will shoot a long ways out using either 128 gr. Hammer bullets , 131 gr. B.J. bullets or 135 gr. Berger bullets at 3300 -3400 fps . this is my new project rifle that should be fun to figure out with my handloads with a big Nightforce scope mounted on this rifle.
Looking forward to see how it shoots.

Hal

Maybe some pics when it done.

Maybe some pics when it
My understanding is that weatherby freebore are long for Caliber. Stating you used your reamer was your freebore standard weatherby or was it based for the hammer or the Berger bullet? Also what stock configuration did you go with?

Absolutely! I've never owned a caliber thats dropped as many in their tracks. Kills way bigger than it is.
i have owned several that will drop them in thier tracks a lot faster and a lot farther then the roy or the 25/06 and they start at .264 to 7mm

Last edited:
i have owned several that will drop them in thier tracks a lot faster and a lot farther then the roy or the 25/06 and they start at .264 to 7mm
At some point, you get to diminishing returns. Sure, you could hunt deer with a 7STW or 338 Lapua or some other hard hitter but, why? WWII cartridges have worked well for a very long time as have the older classics like a 30-30.

.25, 6.5, and 7 options from the classic bolt actions have all worked well for decades. The 257 Weatherby is nice for reduced recoil in a lightweight rifle that needs to reach out a long ways.

A 257 Weatherby with zero to .030 freebore is like manna from Heaven! 100g Partition at 3850 shooing 1/2" groups pole ax's what ever you shoot at. 115g Partitions at 3600 just saw up deer like a chain saw.

For people that are recoil sensitive, a #5 taper, 26" long, Gentry muzzle break, allows you to see the bullet impact on the animal! Kicks like a 243 Win or less!

My two cents: 257 is great, I use a 255 GS (a semi wildcat made in Italy by MAG Armi, a 6,5x55 case improved and necked down to 257). Much easier than belted mags, cheap parent cases and great- great precision. Holds wind very well up to 600 m with Berger Vld hunting 115