25-06 varget 75 gr v-max

Woody26

Wondering if any of you have used this combo with good results and what speeds. Will be used for coyotes, p-dogs. I will be shooting out of a savage 10 fcp-k 1/10 twist 24in barrel. Thanks in advance

As much as I wanted the Savage Axis and old J action varmint to shoot the heavier bullets it still prefers the 75Vmax with about any powder....Varget worked but the accuracy load(47.8 grains Varget per Sierra's manual) was the slowest of all powders tried. Putting in more Varget just made the group get bigger!!
Data 85 and Hunter gave the best groups/velocity

I've been shooting this combo for about 6 years. I load 48.5 grains of Varget behind the 75gr V-Max. Shoots in the .3's average over that time frame, and longest kill on a prairie dog with this combo was 657 yards. Velocity out of my gun is right at 3,550 fps.

I appreciate all of the replies. Ive got a few loads worked up now from 46 to 49.5 grains. Havent shot any yet due to the fact that i walked into the gunsmith shop and seen a 204 that i couldnt live without. Hopefully i will do some shooting tomorrow to see how they shoot.

49.7gr of varget -straight out of the Lee book -20K off the lands.

This load/bullet is a coyote destroyer and has made Idaho ground squirrels disappear.
It would also do well on small deer/antelope at mid range.

Well finally got to shoot some loads today. Ended up with 50 grains of varget. First two shots were one hole 3rd about quarter inch left. Im thinking it was me but i was happy with that Didnt spend to much time shooting because of fresh snow and no wind had coyotes coming in on my mind. Thanks for all the responses. You guys are awesome

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.