25-06 to 264 win mag

I would prefer to convert the .25-06 to a 6.5-06 or a 6.5-06 AI (Ackley Improved). Same size .473.

The Ruger M77 MKII is a controlled feed bolt gun, & in .25-06 is of the length for .30-06 rounds

As mentioned the bolt face would need to be opened up and the extractor modified, an extra expense. The hardened steel bolt face requires some attention to open up.

The magazine box would need to be replaced with a magnum type. Comparing the .30-06 magazine boxes with 7 Rem Mag boxes it can be noticed that the mag box is fatter and the follower slightly wider. The stock would need minor modifications to accept the fatter mag box.

The 6.5-06 is a high performance round and is very popular meaning easy obtained brass using .25-06, .270, & .30-06 and relatively low cost dies. Lots of reload data available.

The AI (Ackley Improved) version gets about 100 fps more velocity but requires fire forming and additional expense dies.

Both rounds like H1000, RL26 with 140 grain bullets and RL23, H4831 with 120-123's and H4350, RL16 with 100's. More than adequate big game performance with 140's, fine long range yote/chuck with 120-123, and real good splat factor with 100's (3400 fps) but no prairie dog gun.

I would suggest, if more is needed than a 6.5-06 get a rifle chambered for a real big 6.5.

6.5 06 AI

YEEHAWWWWW

HAD ONE WITH A 28" KRIEGER

SHOT FASTER THAN MY 26" 264!!!!

LOVED THAT RIFLE

INSTANT DEATH ON BLACKTAILS OUT TO OVER 600YDS WITH BARNES BULLETS 20+ YEARS AGO

WAS AWESOME, LOVED MULTIPLE POWDERS.....

friends don't let friends shoot Rugers

I have built 5 or 6 1/2 moa rugers with factory barrels set back 1/4" to 1" and new crowns,, rechambered long throats for longer bullets, muzzle breaks and polishing trigger surfaces and new springs....

Also rings with shoulder and no bases is BRILLIANT!!!

NOT TO MENTION STOCKS THAT CLEAN UP WELL AND LOOK BEAUTIFUL SANDED, BURNT, LINSEED OIL.....

I have built 5 or 6 1/2 moa rugers with factory barrels set back 1/4" to 1" and new crowns,, rechambered long throats for longer bullets, muzzle breaks and polishing trigger surfaces and new springs....

Also rings with shoulder and no bases is BRILLIANT!!!

NOT TO MENTION STOCKS THAT CLEAN UP WELL AND LOOK BEAUTIFUL SANDED, BURNT, LINSEED OIL.....
I concur, The most underrated Rifle of all time IMHO

I have mixed views on some of the Ruger M77, MKII rifle features.

The integral cast into place scope mounting system is just about perfect for a hunting rifle - I would guess this saves money over drilling & tapping.

I have 10 Ruger 77 MKII's and 1 push feed M77 (plunger type ejector). For any long range shooting I use 30mm tube scopes. Using 2 scopes, a 6.5-20X50 VX3, 30mm and a 4.5-14X40 VX3, 1 inch. I can hit at 880 (1/2 section) with both of my .22-250's (75 ELDM @3200, same size barrels, same reamer, same ammo) using either 30 mm or 1 inch scope on one rifle but the other 22-250 needs the 30mm scope. There is some incentive to get that rifle drilled & tapped for a 20 MOA base. If I had a Rem 700 I could just screw down a Picatinny base & use Burris Sig Zee rings, (+20 low back) or some 20 MOA base.

Of interest Ruger is now making their long range tac(?) rifle with a drilled & tapped receiver (8-40's ?). Burris would please me by making some type of Sig ring for MKII's

All my Ruger M77's have squared up receiver rings to make for a 90 * fit with the barrel axis. Bolt lugs are lapped in.

My final aggravation is the diagonal bedding system - restocking the MKII usually requires some fussing to get the floor plate to fit well. A one piece investment cast bottom metal having simple up/down screws, would make me happy.

I can restock a Rem 700 in half the time it takes to stock a R MKII. But generally go for the Ruger because they are tough, simple, controlled feed, non-rotating extractor, and easy to re-barrel.

The common 6.5-.284 would probably work, same size .473, with at new magnum size magazine box and magnum follower. By "work" this means positive & reliable feeding; it has a better track record for long range competition.

Last edited:
I would question the value of the .264 Win Mag case unless you are going to shoot 150-160gr bullets with Reloader 33 or VV N-570. Then you are going to have to deep seat those long bullets in your standard length action. How much barrel are you intending to burn powder in? The 6.5-06 Ackley also has deep seating issues in the 3.40 OAL of the .25-06 length action. I went to 130gr Bergers and 130 Accubonds (not long range) with my 6.5-06 Ackley. It will shoot all the Reloader 26 that I can burn in the 26 inch barrel and it is as fast as many larger cases (I own three WSMs and have had two .264 Win Mags) that are hard to fill the space. My 6.5-06 AI in photo. It is on a "Columbia" Model 70 with a Timney trigger. Nitrocarburized barrel. HBN coated bullets.

Attachments

• DSCN2457b.jpg
    DSCN2457b.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 119
I might add that I like the 6.5-300 WSM and have plans to re-barrel a .300 WM to 6.5-.300WSM for 140's. Bolt face is already opened up. I will include a dummy round with the rifle for the re-barrel job. I would guess the 6.5-.300 WSM case capacity is 90% - 95% of a .264 WM. My go to bullet for my 8 twist 6.5-06 is the 140 Barnes Match Burner with a modest MV of 2850-2900 fps.IMG_0821.JPG

53 grains of H1000 fits inside the case well (room to spare) and heel of boat tail & bullet body is about .010 above junction of neck & shoulder. Round barely fits inside (not as pointy as Berger VLD 140's) 3.44 inch magazine and almost touches lands. Good cheap shooting! Shoots 120 ELDM's at about 3150 using RL23. Barnes MB looks more pointy than I thought and I can get them at .25 per bullet.

I turn necks down to .288 - this is important when reforming .30-06 brass. I use a .270 F/L die without decap pin & expander as a body die.

Last edited:
I'm in the beginning process of rebarreling my Ruger M77 Mkii (late 90s model). Initially I was thinking 25-06AI with a 10 twist, but decided to go another route. I currently have a 25 SST being built at my smiths right now with a 7 twist Bartlien carbon fiber so I'll have the quarter bore still covered. I'm really leaning towards a 280ai? Just bought a 7mm barrel off this site and probably going to send it in to be cambered in the 280ai. I was leaning towards a 7RPM or a 280 Sherman, but I'm getting a little tired of the wildcat overhead cost (already running a 6.5-06AI, 270 SS, 6 Dasher, and soon to be 25 SST). I also don't own any .284cal rifles, besides my wife's 7mm-08, so I need one??

I'm in the beginning process of rebarreling my Ruger M77 Mkii (late 90s model). Initially I was thinking 25-06AI with a 10 twist, but decided to go another route. I currently have a 25 SST being built at my smiths right now with a 7 twist Bartlien carbon fiber so I'll have the quarter bore still covered. I'm really leaning towards a 280ai? Just bought a 7mm barrel off this site and probably going to send it in to be cambered in the 280ai. I was leaning towards a 7RPM or a 280 Sherman, but I'm getting a little tired of the wildcat overhead cost (already running a 6.5-06AI, 270 SS, 6 Dasher, and soon to be 25 SST). I also don't own any .284cal rifles, besides my wife's 7mm-08, so I need one??
Based on this I'd go 280AI since you are building a new caliber and not AI-ing something you already have. The cost would be no different than any other caliber you don't own already. Same brass, same bullets, new dies etc. unless you just plan on shooting only factory ammo I'd go 280AI personally.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.