25-06 to 264 win mag

philsummers21

I've got a weatherby wilderness I'm just not happy with. It's a 25-06 that I'm thinking of converting to a 264 win mag. Pretty sure it's just a barrel swap and probably bed the action while at it. I'd like to keep it lightweight as my style of hunting is backpacking in a few miles. Any thing I'm missing or recemondations. Is it worth it to go to a carbon fiber barrel or just a light contour. And last thing any barrels to look at or stay away from. This will be my first semi custom minus just trigger work. Btw this does already have a timney on it, and good optics.

The bolt face will have to be opened up from .473 of the .25-06 to .532 for the .264WM. Unless you're dead set on the .264, I would make it a
6.5-06, 6.5 Sherman, or 6.5-284, it would be a lot simpler. The .264 will
push 140s at 3200fps and the 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 will give you 2950-3000. The Sherman is right with the .264 on velocity but is based on the .270 Winchester and you don't have to mess with the bolt face. The easiest option is the 6.5-284, no fireforming, no custom dies, no custom reamer, and you don't need to change a thing other than the barrel.

As far as barrels go, I'm not a big fan of the look of carbon fiber, but they offer heavier barrel contours than steel while being lighter. So you can have a varmint contour carbon wrapped barrel and it weigh the same or even less than a sporter barrel made of steel. Carbon barrels cost double that of a match grade stainless barrel though. The best Carbon wrapped barrels are made by Proof Research. They are cut rifled and from the reports I have seen, they shoot just as good as any. There are others who make carbon barrels, but none have the reputation of Proof.

For stainless barrels there's a lot of options. Cut rifled barrels are considered the best and people will argue forever about Cut vs. Button rifled barrels. The fact is, they all shoot well if you get a good one. Some of the best cut rifled barrels are Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, and Hawk Hill. And the best button rifled barrels come from Hart, Broughton, Benchmark, and Lilja. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those are the ones you'll most often see and hear about. Just find one of these barrels in stock that is the caliber, twist, contour, and length you want and order it. Don't overthink it, buy a good one once and it will pay off.

Yeah was thinking the 264 just cause I like that caliber. Would go 6.5-06 but my OCD won't let me have wrong headstamped brass for the caliber. 6.5x284 is definitely not out either.

Yeah was thinking the 264 just cause I like that caliber. Would go 6.5-06 but my OCD won't let me have wrong headstamped brass for the caliber. 6.5x284 is definitely not out either.

The .264 is a great cartridge, but having the bolt face opened up will cost you extra and add time to your rebarrel process. Are you dead set on a 6.5mm cartridge? If not then consider the .280 Ackley Improved. It has factory headstamped brass, and when loaded with heavy for caliber bullets, will deliver equal or greater ballistics than the .264 WinMag. The .280 AI also will not require any extra work.

He'll also need a new "magnum" magazine box and follower, as well as the bolt face opened up.

For ease of use, I'd call Rich Sherman, and have your rifle rebarreled into a 6.5 Sherman (with no extra modifications needed) and call it a day. Wrong head stamp or not, You won't be mistaking the 6.5 Sherman brass for something else...Even if it does say .270 Win on the case head.

Another vote for 6.5-284, too easy in your case. Tons of good brass and load data available, and no fireforming required. I'd do a slim contour 24" barrel, and expect around 2950 with 140's.

I'm definitely prejudiced in favor of the .264wm, it's a great cartridge. You'll save some money going with the 6.5-284 but it won't match the performance of the .264.

With all the great bullet options we have available today the .264 is more capable than ever and ready for a new generation of shooters.

You've been given several good options but I'd spend a few extra bucks and go with the .264.

WildRose makes points I agree with.

I will add this:
I also have a 264.
Everyone will have an opinion, do what you really want to do. Taking the "easier route", or the "slightly less expensive route" seldom nets you with what you really wanted in the first place.

On your barrel question, I prefer varmint/sendero profile barrels, 5R rifling, and Bartlein for manufacturing.
I also have 2 rifles with carbon fiber barrels on them. They are great barrels, but you will have to decide if the weight savings is worth the price associated to the barrel for you.

I hope it all works out like you want!

WildRose makes points I agree with.

I will add this:
I also have a 264.
Everyone will have an opinion, do what you really want to do. Taking the "easier route", or the "slightly less expensive route" seldom nets you with what you really wanted in the first place.

On your barrel question, I prefer varmint/sendero profile barrels, 5R rifling, and Bartlein for manufacturing.
I also have 2 rifles with carbon fiber barrels on them. They are great barrels, but you will have to decide if the weight savings is worth the price associated to the barrel for you.

I hope it all works out like you want!
I'm admittedly prejudiced. I just don't feel like a gun collection is complete without a nice Mod 70 in .264. With all the advancements in bullet and powder technology since the early 70's it's a no brainer for me.

I would agree . I have wanted a Winchester model 70 264wm for a long time. I finally bought one in the ew . Mounted a leupold vx-6 3x18x50 and looking forward to breaking it in and seeing what it will do

I would agree . I have wanted a Winchester model 70 264wm for a long time. I finally bought one in the ew . Mounted a leupold vx-6 3x18x50 and looking forward to breaking it in and seeing what it will do
I'm going to do a stainless but built to the same specs as the 'Westerner" with probably a 1:7.5 or 1:7 twist so I can shoot the heavier Peregrine Mono's.

I picked up a couple of factory laminate stocks cut for the barrel band and I really like the look of the banded fluted barrel on my custom .375 Ruger Mod 70.

That project may still be a few years down the road but it will probably be my last.

I think both the 25-06 and the 264wm are great rounds . I had to buy both , the 25-06 in the Winchester sporter which has a great feel to it and the 264wm in the Winchester extreme

Thanks for the input. I am going to go ahead with a 264 win mag. The 280ai is my next build off a savage action but hats a while different story. So how much weight savings does the carbon barrel save. Weight is a huge decision on this rifle. But I also hate waiting 2 days for a barrel to cool

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.