25-06 out to 500 yds???

muleythumper

I once had a 25-06, about 20 years ago. I really liked shooting the Ruger M77, but I never shot at anything past 150 - 200 yards. I had it for only a few years, then got rid of it in a trade. Looking back on it, I regret getting rid of that sweet shooting rifle. My question is, ......... does anybody have much LR experience with this calibur on deer out to 500 - 600 yards? I am thinking a Savage LRH in 25-06 would be a super hot get-up!gun)

I have taken mine out to 565 yards on targets and 438 on a pronghorn doe, performance was outstanding. I'm shooting the 115 grain Nosler BT in front of a max load of IMR 4350. I would not hesitate to go out to 600 yards on deer sized game with it.

Bob

I have shot paper out to 500 with a ruger 77 hawkeye with pretty decent results . I realize this is a flat cartridge and for deer it should be fine. I took that rifle on my first elk hunt 17 years ago and the elk I shot may be still walking. I realize folks kill elk every year just a little light for my taste but I have had 25's since then for deer and it seems just as effective as any other size cartridge suitable for deer.

I've had one of those tang safety Ruger 77's in 25-06 for 32 years. Taken over 100 Texas whitetails with it and countless hogs and coyotes.
My longest shot on a buck was 445 yds. Didn't drop him on the spot, he went about 40 yds before he piled up. I took at least 10 at 300+yds with it. I've never shot anything but 100g Noslers in it. My gun never shot the heavier bullets as good as the 100's(.5 MOA). For deer sized game out to 400yds, i'd grab it every time.

I love my 25-06. I have taken it out to 700 yds on a 10" steel plate. My first 3 shot group at 700 yds was 3.5". The longest shot I have taken game at is 330 yds though. It was a mule deer. I would have no problem pulling the trigger on a mule deer or antelope at 600 yds. I load the 115 gr Berger an it does quite well.

Here is a link to some of my steel shooting with the 25-06.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/1st-round-hits-101018/

muleythumper,
I've had a Sendero SF in .25-06 for about 10 years now. I shot it a little right after I got it and shot various 100 gn bullets (Ballistic Tip and TSX) in it at deer out to 200-250yds. Nothing really LR.
My youngest son took a liking to it over his .260 Mtn Rifle, so we swapped. We didn't get to hunt much together after that due to the "Big D", but I know he didn't shoot it more than 20 times after all this.
Then we swapped rifles again. I got the .25-06 back and he got my 700P in 7mmRemMag. I have taken several deer with it since this but stepped up, first, to the 115gn Ballistic TIp and now 115gn Berger. My rifle shoots all these great and I have not had any deer leave the "scene of the crime". Great deer killers all of 'em.
I believe that the 115gn Berger VLD Hunting offers the most as a package, compared with the others listed above. This is taking into consideration trajectory, expansion and pure killing/stopping power.
The farthest I have taken a deer with the Bergers is 315yds, this past year. I intentionally set up on fields that provide shots out to 700-800yds, but those "suicidal goats" walk out at 300yds. What's a guy supposed to do, shew 'em away? :)
Recently, within the past 6 months, I have started taking the 115gn Berger to 700yds +. Along with the .25-06 I shoot a .243, 6.5-284 and .300WinMag. The .25 does pretty good and does better than my .243 at the longer distances but I'm only shooting 90gn bullets in the little .243 at this time. It doesn't do quiet as good as the 6.5-284 and doesn't even compare with the .300WM.
All that to say, deer at 500 - 600 yds, heck yeah. A better selection of bullets could only make a great cartridge even better. Sorry this was so long but I just like rifles! JohnnyK.

Thanks to all the great replies to my question regarding the 25-06. I am just torn between the 06 and the 260 Rem. They are both really great cartridges in my opinion, but the 25s seem to have a greater variety of factory loaded ammo......and it is more available in stores. At this time, I am not a reloader.

.25-06 is a great caliber.

However, for the 1/4 bore calibers, I prefer the .257 Weatherby Mag. Nasty nasty whitetail round, and very capable at yardage beyond 500, as well. There's guys shooting cheaper Weatherby Vanguards out to 900+ in .257 Wby Mag.

So, that would be my recommendation if you are wanting to take Elk sized game and smaller out to 500 yards.

Also, my Weatherby Mark-V AccuMark seems to really love the 110gr Nosler Accubond pills. Also, they work beautifully on whitetails. Small entrance, small exit, and wreaks havoc on the insides, all while having 95% (+/-) weight retention. Can't beat that, IMO.

I am a 25-06 fanatic. I have taken them out to 760 on an antelope and the 110 accubond did its job well. I have several kills with it in the 400-600 yard range and it does well. If you plan to use it for elk though use as big of bullet as possible. in my opinion its a little small for that because of the bullet offerings.

My local store owner shot an Elk a few years back with a custom built .257 Wby, using a 700 action. He was shooting handloads with 110gr AccuBonds and took it with 1 shot at 6xx yards, no problem.

I love my 25-06 and shoot it quite often. I don't doubt that it could take an elk and I know people have taken elk with a 25-06 many times. But you really have to limit yourself condition wise for taken the shots. Wind will really affect these small bullets as I have seen when shooting mine out to 700 yds. I would hate to have to take follow up shots with a 25-06 if the first shot didn't do him under. It just suits me better to keep the 25-06 slaying to deer and antelope and use a larger caliber rifle on elk.

Ask Tikkamike about follow up shots on elk with a 25-06 :)

A 117 grain spire point will still have nearly 1,000 ft.lb. of energy at 500 yards, enough energy for deer sized game, but unrealistic range for most sportsman. If you sight a 25-05 to zero at 300 yards your bullet drop will be in excess of 30 inches at 500 yards. I do not hesitate to take shots at paper past 300 yards, and have shot out to 1,000, but I limit big game hunting range to 300 yards because there are too many variables for anyone who has not had specialized training to hunt beyond 300 yards with the goal of a clean kill. My Weatherby 25-06 is sighted to zero at 300 yards. Trajectory is fairly flat at close range, but will shoot about 4" high at 100 yds, and 5" high at 200, by 400 yards drop is over 11". Compensating for bullet drop with the proper scope is not difficult, but making a clean kill on an game animal is. I limit my long range hunting to prarrie dogs and coyotes.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.