• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

25-06 opportunity

Blaketh

So I found a tikka t3x blued with synthetic stock 25-06 with 10 rounds through it comes with a set of Leopold rings, a nikon black fx1000 6x24x50,a sling, and a harris bipod. He is asking $1000 for the set up, question is, is it worth it? If I decide to get it and get rid of it what do you think I could get out of it? I have the cash just thought of buying some other things with it. I have a tikka t3 lite stainless .243 that I love and deer hunt with. If it did get it I would use it to deer and varmint hunt. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

I can't offer you any advice on the Tikka, but personally I'd shy away from anything Nikon. They've gotten out of the scope business and if you have any problems you're pretty much up a creek as far as warranty goes. You may never have a problem, but I'd at least take it into consideration.

The Tika t3 can be had for $500 new. The ones I've handled have been decent rifles just aren't my cup of tea. The only Nikon scope I've used has been a monarch 1.5-6x, it's been a good one for me. That particular model I can't give you any info on but they have stopped making scopes and if you had an issue warranty work might be a problem.
Stepping up from 243win to 25-06 won't make too much difference on deer unless you've got really big deer or plan on shooting past say 400yd regularly. I've got both and while my 06 slinging 110 and 115gr bullets seem to hit like lightning. That being said 243 slinging 95gr Hornady SST in my rifle, or 80gr Speer hot-core in my pistol kills them just as dead. Inside 200yd I've had lots of bang flops on 90-130lb doe. My biggest buck to date was killed when I was 16 with my little 243 "woman's gun" 100gr bullet wrecked his heart and lungs and stopped under the hide on his offside, he only ran 40yd. Don't let anyone tell you 243 isn't a good deer gun, shot placement is the key with any critter bigger than a groundhog. If you get surgical with that rifle the "little" 6mm bullets will kill anything you care to hunt. I've personally dropped more deer with that caliber than my buddies shooting much bigger guns.
I feel you're better off upgrading glass on your 243, can never go wrong buying the better glass. Not enough difference in performance that I've seen jumping up if you've already got a deer rifle.
If you want a laser of a varmint round look at the 58gr 243 loads they'll run around 4000fps. You can get the varmint gun performance for spring and summer and sight back in with 95-100gr loads for deer.

So I found a tikka t3x blued with synthetic stock 25-06 with 10 rounds through it comes with a set of Leopold rings, a nikon black fx1000 6x24x50,a sling, and a harris bipod. He is asking $1000 for the set up, question is, is it worth it? If I decide to get it and get rid of it what do you think I could get out of it? I have the cash just thought of buying some other things with it. I have a tikka t3 lite stainless .243 that I love and deer hunt with. If it did get it I would use it to deer and varmint hunt. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Stay with a gun you're used to...243. The added recoil of 25-06, plus the extra powder, and limited bullet selection is why I unloaded my 25-06 a year ago. If you master the 243, you'll be able to shoot out the eye of a woodchuck at 100 yards.

As for deer, my mentor keeps telling me... "You don't need to shoot out the eye of a deer to kill it, but it's comforting to know that you could, if you wanted to".

The Tika t3 can be had for $500 new. The ones I've handled have been decent rifles just aren't my cup of tea. The only Nikon scope I've used has been a monarch 1.5-6x, it's been a good one for me. That particular model I can't give you any info on but they have stopped making scopes and if you had an issue warranty work might be a problem.
Stepping up from 243win to 25-06 won't make too much difference on deer unless you've got really big deer or plan on shooting past say 400yd regularly. I've got both and while my 06 slinging 110 and 115gr bullets seem to hit like lightning. That being said 243 slinging 95gr Hornady SST in my rifle, or 80gr Speer hot-core in my pistol kills them just as dead. Inside 200yd I've had lots of bang flops on 90-130lb doe. My biggest buck to date was killed when I was 16 with my little 243 "woman's gun" 100gr bullet wrecked his heart and lungs and stopped under the hide on his offside, he only ran 40yd. Don't let anyone tell you 243 isn't a good deer gun, shot placement is the key with any critter bigger than a groundhog. If you get surgical with that rifle the "little" 6mm bullets will kill anything you care to hunt. I've personally dropped more deer with that caliber than my buddies shooting much bigger guns.
I feel you're better off upgrading glass on your 243, can never go wrong buying the better glass. Not enough difference in performance that I've seen jumping up if you've already got a deer rifle.
If you want a laser of a varmint round look at the 58gr 243 loads they'll run around 4000fps. You can get the varmint gun performance for spring and summer and sight back in with 95-100gr loads for deer.
I guess I should also say I have a 257 weatherby. So I do t need the 25-06 just didnt know if it was a good deal. My 243 has killed countless critters i love it. Right now I am shooting the 58 grain and I want to step up to the 75 at least or even 100gr. The furthest I will shoot deer hunting is about 300 yards. I have no experience with nikons as I am a vortex guy. The plan was to get the gun and try to sell the scope and hopefully make a little but it sounds like I am already floating around the upper end of the used price, especially since nikon no longer make scopes. I appreciate the help and feed back

I sold my 24" varmint barrelled R700 BDL (gift from my bro-in-law ex-Canada), 40+ years ago, for 300 New Zealand shekels. Gosh - I'm stupid. Never got to shoot it as 25/06 ammo was non-existent in New Zealand back then.

Recent Posts