25-06 Opinions

kiltednerd

Looking to start a little coyote hunting and want to get a good all around rifle for deer a=down to groundhog.

I have been looking at the 25-06. I am wanting to go pretty much out of the box, and have been kinda pushed toward the Sendero for best oob performance.

I know its not really considered loong range but I want to be able to reach out to 200-300 yards with it...

Looking for ideas, opinions, discussion, anything to get me headed in the right direction.

Thanks

First and foremost, welcome to LRH! I think you will be able to find most any answer that you are looking for in regards to firearms, shooting, and hunting. Just remember that all answers given are opinion and we do have professional builders and ballistics guru's that really know their stuff. With that said here are my ideas.

I like that you are going the route of the 25-06. It is a great overall caliber to about 700+ yards given the right load. The only issue with the 25-06 is the lack of high ballistic coefficient bullets to really allow it to stretch it out. However with the laser like speeds you can get the bullets up too, with practice will allow you to really reach out there. 200 to 300 yards is pretty much point and shoot with that caliber barring 20+ mph winds.

I am an avid Savage fan. They have some great rifles in the LRH category. In my opinion the Mod 111 LRH with the accu-trigger and accu-stock will provide a great platform for your long range needs. It comes with a fully aluminum bedding block that extends into the forearm for rigidity. It also gives you a muzzle break that can be turned on for bench shooting and off for field use to protect your ears a little. This model also comes with an adjustable cheek rest. I believe this to be a total package that is well worth the cost. It is however cheaper than the Sendero by quite a bit. This is an advantage because it will allow for more money to be put toward your optics.

Bullets are very subjective. My one buddy has a the Savage Mod 110fp. It shoots lights out with just about anything you feed through it. He is currently loading the 75grn Hornady V-max for maximum carnage. He is also loading with 120grn Sierra Game Kings for deer. I have had really good luck with the 120's when I was still shooting the 25-06 for whitetail deer. It was a Howa M1500 which is a very good rifle with a little bit of smithing (tuned trigger, bedding). You probably want to stay right around in the 75 to 115 grain weight for coyote and deer. The heavier for the deer.

Make sure you consider a good scope. My suggestions lie in Nikon, Sightron, and Vortex. Bushnell Elite 3200, and 4200 tactical models work exceptionally well for the money. I currently use Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 and 6-18x40 both with side focus. The 14x has a mil-dot reticule and the 18x has a target dot for seeing groundhogs out past 1K yards. The Vortex Viper series and the new PST are getting great reviews and more than likely my next purchase. Sightron has been getting rave reviews of there SIII and should be on the consider list.

Many are going to support you on your decision for the Sendero. It is one of Remington top rifles. It is a shooter, but I am a guy on a budget and it has been my experience that for the money saved buying the Savage you just can't beat it. Good shopping and I want to hear the details of you decision and targets after purchase and set up. :cool: Welcome to the addiction!

Tank

I've got one now and have owned two. Accuracy is exceptional, recoil is light. From deer to coyotes inside 400 yards, you would be hard pressed to find a better round.

kiltednerd,
Welcome to LRH. The .25-06 is good caliber and the Sendero a superb rifle. I just saw a Sendero SF II at Dominion Outdoors in Fishersville, Va. for $999.99. Not sure that is a good deal but if you want it bad enough it is. :)
I owned a Sendero SF in the quarter bore and it's pretty much like the others said, inside of 400yds; point and shoot. Killing deer with the thing is almost boring, it does it everytime!
I got great accuracy using RL22 and the 100/115gn Ballistic Tip's and the 100gn TSX and 115gn Berger VLD. The rifle shot everything I tried in it well.
Nothing wrong with the Sendero but I would definately look into what Savage has to offer these days. They are raising the bar for the rest of the Mfg's. I just picked up a new 12BVSS in 6.5X284 (long action) from the above mentioned gunshop for $600.00.
Good luck with your decision and let us know what happens with it! JohnnyK.

Thanks for all the replies

I am definitely not dead set on the Sendero, I just heard it was up there with the best of the out of boxes.

I have found locally a TC Pro Hunter single shot that has a 28" fluted stainless barrel that is shooting nickel groups at 100 yards. They want $550 for it.

Since I am a left handed shooter shooting right handed guns, I think I could reload it as fast as I could a bolt action. I am unsure.

Any thoughts on the Pro Hunter?

I have been trying to look up the Savage 111LRH but cant find much on it, I will keep looking. If any of you have links to particular ones, it would be appreciated.

Thanks again

550 is not a bad price for the pro hunter. I've never seen an encore shoot badly, but I've got two that shoot half MOA or better out to 800 yards. Now I'm a serious reloader, doing everything you can do to the brass. I'm not wild about the stock trigger jobs. You can do one yourself or pay Mike Bellm or Strantton custom to do one for you. I love the encore, it's my favorite hunting rifle. It's very light weight, and short.

Plus you can always by different barrels and shoot different rounds without buying a whole new gun. I've got a encores in 270, 25-06 and 6.5X47Lapua.

Robbin

Last edited:
All these options seem more than adequate. I'm a huge Savage fan. That said, the Sendero will serve you well, if that's your choice. The Encore is super versatile, and a great gun. I wanted a Savage 110 FCP-K .300wm, but like you, I'm a lefty. I called Savages custom shop, and they made me one for $200 extra ($850 total).

I have Sendero 25-06 and it's a great shooter, sub .5 MOA. With RL17, I can get 3400 fps with 115 BST'and 3500 fps with 110 AB's. The bullet selection isn't the best for high BC's but it's not all that bad. The Berger 115 has a BC of .466 and at 3400 fps it will get out to 850 yds with 1800 fps of velocity. Having said that, 3400 fps is about 200 fps or more than other 25-06 loads. It is achievable in my rifle with RL17.

Welcome to LRH and good shooting,

-Mark

you do not say if you handload. i have two 25-06 senderos. they are awesome. with the 115 balistic tip or the 115 berger. they will surprise you.

I've got a savage 110 FLCP on order in 25.06. Lefties don't have a whole lot of options. I can't wait to get the gun, I'm really just looking for a good 500 yd deer / varmint rifle, I think this will fit the bill.

my daughter uses a ruger m77 target model and her uncle uses the same gun
its a great round.
We are also shooting 2 senderos 1in 300 win mag and 1in 7mm mag
It a great gun
you will be very happy with both
my only suggestion is consider the 7mm once you get the bug you may want alittle more than the 25-06

Thanks for all the information guys, I have got a couple in mind, I just need to make a move on one.

Will keep you informed...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts