.25-06 need major help!

Deer mangler

I have a remington 700 xcr in .25-06rem, and I have had it for about 4 years and just know have had the time to mess with it. And now I have a problem. I can't get the **** thing to group. Best group I ever had with it is about 2" @ 100yards. I have tried almost every factory ammo available. I tried two other scopes and yet no improvement.
If anyone has any advice for me lets hear it. The only step next I can figure is getting it rebarreled with a nice krieger. I'm open to anything. Right now I might just put it next to my fireplace and use it as a fire poker.

Assuming you know the scope is solid, then bed the lug and free float the barrel. We've had good success with this cartridge in two rigs and they were not finicky. They were bedded and floated though.

Float the barrel itll probably make a big difference. The xcr stock is not very good at all. I had one and it broke in the first few shots. Replace it with a b&c medalist for $200ish even if that doesnt work your stock will hold its value. Its worth a shot.

+1 from all above. There is only about 100 things you can do to improve the accuracy but I'd make sure that barrel is good and clean. Its been sitting for 4 yrs. Try some barrel blaster cleaner. Just an idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.