25-06 hammer load data

318lll9740

I got a 25-06 barrel to spin on my savage while waiting for my 6-284. I got some 100 gr nosler bt to break it in with and it shot very well. Around 1" at 150 yards. After fifty or so rounds I decided it was time to try the 75 grain hammer out. I used hodgdon data and it said around 50 gr of varget should be around 3650fps. Long story short, I loaded all the way up to 55gr yesterday and got slight ejector swipe. The groups for 49-52 made a nice 1" cluster at 150 yards, and the 53,54&55 clustered nicely about two inches higher. I rolled a few 52 grainers to verify it was still grouping nicely and it did. My new chronograph arrived today and I was pleased to see that 75 gr hammer, 52 gr of varget ,knocking at 3750. This oughta be a deer slayer until my other barrel arrives. I had a crow stealing deer corn out of my driveway at about 200 yards and I watched it drop in the scope before I heard the gun go off….that's smoking!

Attachments

• 937D30B6-31B4-42E1-8515-DE1FB2E16F10.jpeg
    937D30B6-31B4-42E1-8515-DE1FB2E16F10.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Those are really good numbers …. I'm running the 92 HH with 53g of H4350 at 3580. It holds consistent 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups at 100yds and single digit ES. Looking forward to see what it does on deer.

Now you're going to make me order the 92 grainers, lol! Hammer bullets are the real deal. I didn't try them before since I was going to shoot the 105 hybrid in the 6-284. I have a month or so before new barrel will be ready, so I may have to try them. My only reservation about loading the hammers was finding data, but the other night I stumbled across a few post that said to use hodgdon data, and it works great with the hammer bullets. I'm thinking the bands reduced the pressure down to cup and core numbers and the data is transferable. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I'm thinking.

Did you get the Hammer load data spreadsheet off the website? It has loads for everything.

Yeah I used those for a few other rifles. I didn't see any data for the 75 grainer though. I saved both spreadsheets to my phone now!

I got a 25-06 barrel to spin on my savage while waiting for my 6-284. I got some 100 gr nosler bt to break it in with and it shot very well. Around 1" at 150 yards. After fifty or so rounds I decided it was time to try the 75 grain hammer out. I used hodgdon data and it said around 50 gr of varget should be around 3650fps. Long story short, I loaded all the way up to 55gr yesterday and got slight ejector swipe. The groups for 49-52 made a nice 1" cluster at 150 yards, and the 53,54&55 clustered nicely about two inches higher. I rolled a few 52 grainers to verify it was still grouping nicely and it did. My new chronograph arrived today and I was pleased to see that 75 gr hammer, 52 gr of varget ,knocking at 3750. This oughta be a deer slayer until my other barrel arrives. I had a crow stealing deer corn out of my driveway at about 200 yards and I watched it drop in the scope before I heard the gun go off….that's smoking!
I noticed you've got a 6x284 coming. I'm 81 and have to give up my WY trips to shoot Prairie dogs. I shot 6x284W for years & have several hundred mostly Winchester cases in various stages of prep. to get rid of. Most have been neck turned as necking down 284 to 6mm expanded the neck to around .022. Let me know if interested. [email protected]

I've always seen the .25-06 as extremely under-rated. While not quite the .257 Weatherby, the .25-06 will really reach out and "touch" game. I think the only reason it isn't more popular is because they didn't attach the suffix "magnum" to it when the cartridge was released.

I noticed you've got a 6x284 coming. I'm 81 and have to give up my WY trips to shoot Prairie dogs. I shot 6x284W for years & have several hundred mostly Winchester cases in various stages of prep. to get rid of. Most have been neck turned as necking down 284 to 6mm expanded the neck to around .022. Let me know if interested. [email protected]
if no one wants them let me know

Great numbers! What length barrel did you install? Twist rate?