25-06 + ???? = Good Antelope round

We have used 100TSX, 115BT, 117SBT,120NP & 125Wildcat on Deer or Antelope & they worked well. The Wildcats sure work good at 300 and over, 300-400 yards is not that far, but with WY. wind, we could tell a difference with those in wind drift. My 25-06AI loves RL25 in all bullets of 115 or heavier, RL22 in the lighter. In std. 25-06 I would try 4831 or RL22 in bullets of 117 or less & I still had great results with RL25 in the std case with 120 or heavier.

100 grain ballistic tips are poison on antelope. Favorite speed goat load RL 17 and 100 great ballistic tips.

I am looking forward to working with the 25-06 and 115 BT's. I have RL25 and RL22 on the bench, so I imagine I should be able to find something that gives me some decent speed out of them. The 115 BT's do seem pretty "tough" for a BT, so I don't think a deer will be all that much for them.

I just recently " rediscovered" the 25-06'and this time I got a good one. I have had a few, but couldn't get them to shoot as I liked.
Anyway, my particular gun / load is a Ruger MKII,VT in 25-06. When I picked it up, I bought a pound of RL17. I have been reading about higher velocity claims, with lower pressures, so I tried it. My initial loadings were with Barnes TSX, and Hornady Interbond, both in 100 grain. Additionally, I shot some 177 SST's. I was really just fire forming some 30-06 brass that I had resized to 25-06', but I got some very good groups with all combos. I did not chrono anything , at that time, but will now that I have some chamber formed brass. I noticed that the powder burned vey clean. No sooting on the brass, and barrel cleaned like a dream. Load info came from Alliants website. I backed off 1 and a half grains from max which is 53 grains according to Alliant. Just wanted to pass along some info. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.