25-06 for US deer?

The 25 cals are rather popular in my family, my wife has a 250 Savage AI and a 25-06. I have a 257 Roberts and two
25-06 rifles.

My son in-law shoots a 25-06 and my cousin has two 257 Roberts and three 25-06 rifles. Between the four of us we have shot a lot of Red and Sika deer and all of them have been with 100 grain projectiles.

Nathan Foster has a great write up on the 25-06 which can be found here,

G'day all, I am interested to hear how popular the 25-06 is for deer, all species and speed goats.
I use mine (3) for our small Hog deer, Fallow, Rusa and Chital.
I also have just acquired a 257 Bee, haven't shot it much so far, but the factory ammo I got is fast, so will be using that too in the future.
I feel the 25-06 is one the most underrated cartridges out there.
I have a 257 Bob AI barrel, but it is not screwed onto an action at this time, as I lost interest in it due to necks splitting no matter what I did to the brass.
Interested to hear how many use it.
I would do a poll, but that is beyond my capabiiities on this forum.

Cheers.
I've killed 69 black tail 3 bears and cats with my 2506 love the caliber I have 2 of them

G'day all, I am interested to hear how popular the 25-06 is for deer, all species and speed goats.
I also have just acquired a 257 Bee, haven't shot it much so far, but the factory ammo I got is fast, so will be using that too in the future.
I have a 257 Bob AI barrel, but it is not screwed onto an action at this time, as I lost interest in it due to necks splitting no matter what I did to the brass.
I would do a poll, but that is beyond my capabiiities on this forum

You are correct in regards to the 25-06. It's really underrated.
I shoot the ballistic twin to the 25-06.
I've shot everything from Coyotes up to Cow Elk. With judicious shot placement, it drops them like a bolt of lightning.
Now that I have found, Hammer Bullets. The 92gr pills are SUPERB.
Make that quarter bore your new best friend....She's very loyal.

Last edited:
You are correct in regards to the 25-06. It's really underrated.
I shoot the ballistic twin to the 25-06.
I've shot everything from Coyotes up to Cow Elk. With judicious shot placement, it drops them like a bolt of lightning.
No that I have found, Hammer Bullets. The 92gr pills are SUPERB.
Make that quarter bore your new best friend....She's very loyal.
X-2

In my opinion, you can't beat a 25-06 for a deer cartridge. I am trying to deer hunt in as many states as I can and this year is Texas. I fly out Friday and even though I have bigger cartridges in the gun safe, the trusty 25-06 is always the one I choose.

I would do a poll, but that is beyond my capabiiities on this forum.

Cheers.
Don't give up on that 257 Bob AI either. I rebarreled my original bob to an AI and am loving it. No issues with Winchester brass splitting and found some Nosler that I will anneal before fireforming.

The 2506 is an outstanding cartridge for deer especially here in Texas!

257 Roberts is one the best/finest cartridges for LD Deer & Prong hunting ever designed by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jill had a 25 WSSM which, I think was a great cartridge, but never had companies make rifles chambered in it. By the way ours was a Model 70 Ultimate Shadow Camo SS.24" GREAT Carry rifle and knock down power. Jill shot it in Africa and the us taking several large animals. Then the shots starting opening up, Sent back to Winchester (now Browning) directly after the buy out anf they would not fix or return the rifle. Said it was a safety issue. Got screwed out of money because the only would replace with a "A" bolt or what the wholesale price was.
Still think that the .25 is a GREAT caliber!!!

I'm not a gun smith, so I can't say what would cause that. I make all my brass out of 7mm mauser. I fire form using full powered AI load specs and have never had a brass failure. I do use the slowest powders and with my 26 barrel it approaches the speed of 25-06 on the chrono