25-06 for hogs

onehandgunner

I am buying a Weatherby Vanguard VGX in 25-06 caliber (1986 manu.), mainly because I want it. It looks and feels so much like a real gun and not like the plastic handled things on the market today. I am in my mid 60's and prefer WOOD & STEEL. My 2nd purpose for this purchase is for pig hunting at 200+ yards from a blind in eastern New Mexico. I have searched the web and found some info but I would like to hear from people that are long range oriented. Also what scope would you suggest. It has a BARASKA 4-12 on it now, I hear they are not the best but they do work, maybe. thanks Jerry

Just my .02$ but a 4×12 power is a nice power range for what you want. As far as quality of glass that depends a lot on money. I have bought a IOR for my long range 300um and im very impressed with the glass. They are approaching a higher end optics though. I personally have never regretted spending my money on good glass. I sure have regretted cheaping out a few times though. Good luck.

I have a 70$ scope from walmart on my 7mag that tracks perfect everytime, clarity at low light is limited, but its a great scope for the money....

on the otherhand I have a Nightforce on my .338 that is crazy clear at any visible light... depends on your budget, you can make either work.

onehandgunner,
I regularly hunt with the 25-06, 300 win, and 300 RUM for hogs here in TX. All of these have produced plenty of meat in the freezer. I shoot the 117 gr sierra and they have peformed great. As mentioned, quality of glass makes the difference since I hunt the hogs from a stand from dark to daylight under a feeder with solar lights. Zeiss and Leupold have served me well :)

That gun would work great. Try the nosler accubonds they work great for what you want. Also as far as scopes, throw out the barska really bad scopes worst I have had even worse than bsa. I prefer the Nikon prostaff great scopes on a budget. Or try the Redfield revolution line also have a great product for the money.

Thanks for the comments, this will help. I do have some questions. I have read that most people do not like the Barska scope. How come? Would it be okay on a 22 or 22 mag? Also, I don't know much about rifle bullets, all I load is 44 mag and they are lead. I do like Nosler, how would the 120 gr partition be? The Redfield scope is on my list of things to buy when I replace the Barska. thanks

I shoot a bunch of hogs every year, and have used just about everything to do so. The 25 is my girl, but the lighter bullets just aren't as reliable for putting them on the ground. If I were to suggest a weight bullet I would not go any lighter than the 115gr. I normally run the 115gr Partition as I can get decent velocity to go along with the weight. The 120's w0uld be good, but your probably going to find a better selection of 115 and 117s to choose from.

My daughter has my original 25 now and was shooting the 110gr Accubonds. They group crazy tight out to as far as you want to shoo them, but they lack the weight to reliably put a hog down. I have shot several with them and IF you can put it in their ear your good, but on a heat lung shot they can tote them off into the brush. I have had a few tote off the 115's but not from a decent hit.

Right now I am running a 25-06 AI and using the 120gr bullets in it. That is a bit of a different critter than my standard version as I can easily get better velocity from the 120's in it with it's 28" barrel than I can the 100's in the standard version. It will put a fat hog down with authority.

Within the ranges your looking at however and even a bit further, the 115-117's will give you a bit flatter shot and should have plenty of put on down reliably. Just keep in mind, a hogs built a bit different than deer and such. Their vitals are up front and right behind the leg. A shot behind the shoulder is a shot in the paunch and they will leave little to no blood when they take off. Here is a great site that will get you everything you need on putting them in the freezer,

HUNTERS ANATOMY OF A FERAL HOG

This is one of the best laid out anatomy pages I have seen. There is also other things there in the Tip and Tricks section that will show the best places to shoot them for a quick recovery.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

The barska scopes probably would be fine on a 22. The problems are many, one fuzzy glass, field of view, eye relief and bad tracking. As for bullet weight the partitions will work great. Also anything over 100 grain. There is really no difference in 110 to 115 bullets, also weight is not as important as bullet type. Most 115 grains are none bonded jackets, the accubond is that is why I recommend it over the 115. Partitions are great in any weight over 100, I just done get the same accuracy out of them as I do the accubond.

For distances out to 300 yards I'd buy a Trijicon accupoint 3x9x40 with the post reticle in amber. The glass at that distance is as good as any including possibly Nightforce. I have one of them too. The light comes through better and that is especially good in over cast and during morning and early evening. Even in moonlight awesome. That aspect is actually better than any glass I've seen but I don't own a Schimdt and Bender or US Optics. I like the post reticle (unique to Trijicon) as the entire field of view is seen un-obstructed and any animals that are moving a little or a lot are easily sized up. Great for deer and hogs. Zeiss would be my second choice but only if dialing is your thing or consistent sitting and you just want to dial all day. Zeiss, non of their reticles appealed to me. My 308 zeroed at 150 is easy to hold over or under to 350 with precision on animals is concerned. Vitals are easy to hit, with the triangle on the post. They are well known for durability and the military knows it. Good luck and be safe and responsible. On rifles, Browning is better than Weatherby if you want quality out of the box, FN hammer forged barrels can't be beat in my opinion, and FN is making the largest number of firearms in the world so you know they will be around when you need service.

Merry Christmas too!

Many good scopes were mentioned in this thread. If I could redo it I would have gone with a Trijicon -illum. As far as the 25-06 ; what a great , but underappreciated caliber. My two ,and only times ...Hog hunting , I used a T.C. Contender .35 rem & .45-70 GOV. Gonna' do it again in N.Carolina in late March 2013. My last purchase of a scope = Burris MTAC 3.5-10X42 .....SHOULDA' BOUGHT THE TRIJ. IILLUM.lightbulb

The MTAC is nice, that was my first choice, but before I bought it, I was at Gander mountain and they had a Trijicon, I hemmed and hawed and decided to spring for it. I love it. I do like the MTAC illuminated version though.

I am buying a Weatherby Vanguard VGX in 25-06 caliber (1986 manu.), mainly because I want it. It looks and feels so much like a real gun and not like the plastic handled things on the market today. I am in my mid 60's and prefer WOOD & STEEL. My 2nd purpose for this purchase is for pig hunting at 200+ yards from a blind in eastern New Mexico. I have searched the web and found some info but I would like to hear from people that are long range oriented. Also what scope would you suggest. It has a BARASKA 4-12 on it now, I hear they are not the best but they do work, maybe. thanks Jerry

The 25-06 is a wonderful hog cartridge and if you feel good about the "wood and steel" you've purchased, then good on you! I've killed literally hundreds of hogs with a 25-06 from 20yds to past 400yds with great results. Lately I've moved up to shooting long range hogs with a 300mag, but the 25-06 suits. As far as the scope, if it holds a zero and you haven't been spoiled by expensive glass then I say it's good to go.

The 25-06 certainly works for me and my hunting companion on hogs. We use the 110 Gr Accubond for most shooting, but for the longer ranges and/or larger hogs (300+ lbs) we use the Remington 115 Gr Ckor-lok ultra-bond. It also works perfectly on mule deer.
RF

Last edited:
I tried out the 80 gr Barnes ttsx last night and they flat out kick ***.

017E9B40-12C6-410F-BE53-1D398CCAD34A-1020-000000DEAC01407A_zps33a80b79.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.