25-06 for coyote hunt?

Jcord35

I have been invited on a coyote hunt and I am not sure about which rifle I should use.
Would a high velocity round like a 25-06 suffice?
I have other rifles in 7mm08,45-70,45-90,308.

I know any rifle will work depending on distance etc.

What do you think?

While I'm at what kind of loads would you recommend ?

Thanks
Joe

Heck yea a 25-06 is one of the best Coyote cartridge. The one I use to have shot 75g hps and 100g bullets great. but any bullet your rifle shoot the best is what I would shooot. My load of IMr 4831 and 75g hps pushing 3700fps is a coyotes night mare.

I used a 25-06 for several years to shoot coyote. Pretty much any round you pick will work. If you are hand loading then what ever shoots best from your rifle. I have used Vmax, ballistic tips, blitz kings, game kings, and a bunch of factory ammo.

I have been invited on a coyote hunt and I am not sure about which rifle I should use.

What do you think?

Thanks
Joe

25/06 works if you want them really dead

80 barnes ttsx with f210 match primer with 57.5 of hodgsons hybrid 100v powder for just over 3800 fps , this load is in the barnes online manual, its very close to the257 wby ,75 gn hornady vmax or H P with f210 primer and59 gn h4831 sc about 3750 fps I recall shooting it it was very good accuracy

All the calibers on your list have plenty of horsepower to make coyotes really dead really quick. Given those choices I'd go 25-06 as well. Probably a little hard on fur but sounds great for longer ranges. Good luck with it I hope you connect with some dogs!

What do you think?

Thanks
Joe

Please use the .45-90 and post pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.