25-06 elk bullets

I'm glad your Rem 700 5R shoots for you. Mine was horrible. Rem 700s are a crap shoot.

You keep insisting on that with no factual evidence to back it up. I own a number of 700's, all of which have factory Remington barrels on them. ALL of them are shooters. Granted, 2 have been fully worked and trued by my smith, with hand-lapped bores, but it's still factory barrels, and they still drive tacks. The only reason i had the bores lapped was because the barrels were new, and I didn't want to have to break them in and deal with copper fauling. But the rest of my 700's have their original factory barrels and bores and they shoot one-hole groups with my handloads.

Hmmm, I guess for every Rem 5R story of poor performance can be met by 10 stories of good performance. Mine sure shots good and many other have good reports as well.

Maybe, but how do the other 9 make it suck less if you spent over $1000 on the 1 that does not shoot. Took an $800 rebarreling job to get a shooter.

1-2 MOA groups with a bunch of different bullets and powders. Couldn't even break 2 MOA with the 220 SMK. Replaced it with a Savage and almost every load shot under 1 MOA converging quickly on a < 0.5 MOA load with the 208 AMAX.

MudRunner, I am glad you don't get emotional about anything!

Stupidity is my #1 pet peeve... The gene pool has been diluted so badly over the last 50 years that there is no more deep end. If you've ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? I'm afraid that is how our country will be in 50-100 years

Stupidity is my #1 pet peeve... The gene pool has been diluted so badly over the last 50 years that there is no more deep end. If you've ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? I'm afraid that is how our country will be in 50-100 years

Hahaha I like the way you think!

You keep insisting on that with no factual evidence to back it up. I own a number of 700's, all of which have factory Remington barrels on them. ALL of them are shooters. Granted, 2 have been fully worked and trued by my smith, with hand-lapped bores, but it's still factory barrels, and they still drive tacks. The only reason i had the bores lapped was because the barrels were new, and I didn't want to have to break them in and deal with copper fauling. But the rest of my 700's have their original factory barrels and bores and they shoot one-hole groups with my handloads.

+1 My experience is as solid as yours with Remington.

You keep insisting on that with no factual evidence to back it up.

Group sizes were recorded in a lab notebook and then in a spreadsheet. This is the standard way our ballistics lab records group sizes. We don't usually photograph groups.

Recording data in lab notebooks and then in spreadsheets has been acceptable for all our published papers including peer-reviewed articles, DoD technical reports, magazine articles, etc.

I'm sorry if it doesn't mean your standard of "factual evidence." We had an article based on data shot with the rifle published in Precision Shooting and also a DoD technical report. Here's a link:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA556105

As I wrote before (after reviewing the data spreadsheet), the 5R Milspec produced 1-2 MOA groups with a variety of bullets and loads, with nothing shooting under an inch. We were unable to break 2 MOA with the 220 SMK. The Savage we replaced it with shot nearly every bullet and powder we tried into 1 MOA or better, with the 208 AMAX quickly converging to under 0.5 MOA.

I hate to seem like an ***, but it's just hard to imagine, based on my experiences with Remington rifles over my lifetime. I know lemons will slip out to the public from time to time, but it can't be that common of an occurance. I have never seen, or heard of a 5R Milspec not shooting under 1". Mine puts five 210 Bergers inside of a dime @ 100 yards with new Lapua brass that hasn't even been fire-formed yet. Mine shoots everything from 168-210's just fine.

Were you shooting factory ammo or handloads for those tests?

I hate to seem like an ***, but it's just hard to imagine, based on my experiences with Remington rifles over my lifetime. I know lemons will slip out to the public from time to time, but it can't be that common of an occurance. I have never seen, or heard of a 5R Milspec not shooting under 1". Mine puts five 210 Bergers inside of a dime @ 100 yards with new Lapua brass that hasn't even been fire-formed yet. Mine shoots everything from 168-210's just fine.

Were you shooting factory ammo or handloads for those tests?

I agree with Mud. There's all of these guys claiming bad experiences with Remington and I find it hard to believe when my Model 700 .270 shoots 1/3 MOA and my Model 700 Varmint .243 shoots 1/4 MOA both glass bedded using handloads and that's it, no custom stocks or barrels. They also maintain under 1/2 out to 700yds where my range cards end.

Maybe, but how do the other 9 make it suck less if you spent over $1000 on the 1 that does not shoot. Took an $800 rebarreling job to get a shooter.

1-2 MOA groups with a bunch of different bullets and powders. Couldn't even break 2 MOA with the 220 SMK. Replaced it with a Savage and almost every load shot under 1 MOA converging quickly on a < 0.5 MOA load with the 208 AMAX.

It doesn't help the guy with a bad one, just as it did not help me when my Savage did not perform, it happens sometimes.

Of course I was kidding a little there. Yes, I am disgusted with the ignorance that I see every day, but the last election really drove it home, sadly we don't have to wait 50 years to see this.

Back to topic, I have taken a bunch of Hogs with the 25-06 & as always placement is the key, but concerning Elk, I have bigger rounds so I have not tried the 25 on those.

Of course I was kidding a little there. Yes, I am disgusted with the ignorance that I see every day, but the last election really drove it home, sadly we don't have to wait 50 years to see this.
How true that was... Made me physically sick for about a week.

How true that was... Made me physically sick for about a week.

I can't believe how many people "drink the Koolaid" in this country. Its ridiculous, as I type this I'm watching the news and they're talking about how Obama is handling the whole Ukrainian mess. He has no leadership at all.

Well, trapfool, I guess your answer is somewhere in this thread.:) I own a .25-06, along with other rifles. I killed elk annually for more than 30 years - most with cup/core bullets out of a .280. Nothing wrong with the .25-06. I suggest any of the tough bullets should do, but the Nosler 120 Partition probably has the best reputation and the largest following for taking heavier game. If I were doing it, that's what I would use today. I have to say I got stuck in a similar situation a couple years ago where I HAD to use the .25-06 on short notice, and without knowing it ahead of time. Actually had my deer/antelope loads with me, using the Hornady 120 HP (a heavily constructed Interlock). I didn't feel handicapped at all, because I know how they work on large mule deer. With the Nosler, I wouldn't hesitate to take any shot that you would be comfortable with using your .280 AI (up to about 350 yds). Most 120 gr. loads will have about 1500 ft/lbs energy at 350 yds., and that's about what I consider adequate for confident shooting. Have fun with Dad!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.