25-06 elk bullets

115 grain ballistic tip. It works just fine on elk. This bullet was out of a bull moose last fall. I leant my 25 to a buddy so his wife could shoot her moose. Shot was 250 yards. Bullet shot through 2 ribs and was on the hide on the off side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 110
I think the 25-06 is under rated it did more damage than my 308 did on a deer not many more reports with it cuz I've only had it for a few mounths but I would use it on elk... 117 sst my personal or interbond 117

I have a 257 rob that I loaned to a family so their sons could hunt a youth elk hunt. It was loaded with a max load of h4831 under a 120 grn nosler partition. The families sons shot 2 large cow elk that year and the performance of the partitions was as good as one could ask for. Both shots were about 260 yards and both elk were knocked down, got back up, took a few steps and expired within 15 feet of the impact. If a 257rob can do that, a 25-06 should be good to go. No slugs were recoverd, both shots passed thru on broadside shots. Your 25-06 will be great for elk.

I use the cheapest bullets I can find to fire-form brass for my .25-06 AI, so I use the 117 Hornady Interlocks, since I can get 100 for $26.99 at my local store. They fly pretty good even for fire-forming, and appear to be a pretty well-made bullet. They have a lead-alloy core, so they might be a good option for thick animals like elk.

I have used the Nosler 110 Accubonds in my .257 Wby to take deer with flawless performance. I use the Berger 168 VLD's in my 7mmRM for whitetails and they work perfectly, too.

Also, this thread can't be right...

According to the internet you HAVE to have a .338 Lapua or bigger to kill elk... :rolleyes:

:D

115 grain ballistic tip. It works just fine on elk. This bullet was out of a bull moose last fall. I leant my 25 to a buddy so his wife could shoot her moose. Shot was 250 yards. Bullet shot through 2 ribs and was on the hide on the off side.

Ballistic tips are tough with the antimony hardened core and tapered jacket that thickens up a lot around the core. In the heavier weights of a caliber impacting under 2900 fps, they will penetrate well.

Don't try that with the 85 grain bullet at 3500 fps.

The Hornady 117 Interlock SP and the SST are tougher bullets than the 117 Sierra. I prefer the 117 Sierra for deer.

Yep the 25-06 is greatly under appreciated or respected by people that have never used one on big game. I have killed a lot of deer with a good deal of calibers between 22lr and 45-70 and the 25-06 has killed deer in their tracks about 95% of the time no matter what bullet was used and those that were not did not go over 50 yards. I knew an old man in NC that had probably killed more deer with a 25-06 than many people have seen. He started using it waaaaaay back when it was a wildcat. I have heard him make the statement many a time. "I would not hesitate to shoot an elephant with my 25-06, I'd blow his head off." :D

Also, this thread can't be right...

According to the internet you HAVE to have a .338 Lapua or bigger to kill elk... :rolleyes:

:D

Haha its funny you say this. Some guy at Gander Mountain told my cousin that you need a .338 Lapua to kill whitetail at 800yds. My cousin just said "oh yea" and went with it. Haha, people are funny.

I use the cheapest bullets I can find to fire-form brass for my .25-06 AI, so I use the 117 Hornady Interlocks, since I can get 100 for $26.99 at my local store. They fly pretty good even for fire-forming, and appear to be a pretty well-made bullet. They have a lead-alloy core, so they might be a good option for thick animals like elk.

I have used the Nosler 110 Accubonds in my .257 Wby to take deer with flawless performance. I use the Berger 168 VLD's in my 7mmRM for whitetails and they work perfectly, too.

Yes the Hornady Interlock is a very good bullet, especially for the price. I used a 140gr Interlock in my .270 last year to drop a buck. I forgot the range finder that evening so guessed the distance right around 220yds, dialed the scope for 200 and held straight on behind the shoulder. He dropped in his tracks dead. Thats the only game I have taken with the Interlocks but I have done a lot of shooting with them and they group awesome and even shoot well out to 700yds out of my .270 Model 700.

Haha its funny you say this. Some guy at Gander Mountain told my cousin that you need a .338 Lapua to kill whitetail at 800yds. My cousin just said "oh yea" and went with it. Haha, people are funny.

That's because the big box stores only hire morons off the street they can pay minimum wage... Anyone who knows anything, most likely, won't work for minimum wage...Or at a big box store. :D

Just food for thought, next time one of yall walks into a big box store to buy a bow setup, or a rifle setup...

If I were to buy a gun and scope from them, they will both leave the store in seperate boxes. I wouldn't trust one of them jacklegs to even touch my gun. Display model? Uh....NO! Go in the back, and get me one that the box is still stapled together...

Wind and retained energy can both be tricky out at 800 yards.

The .338 Lapua gives more margin for error than most cartridges out there.

A lot of lower BC bullets don't retain enough velocity to expand at 800 yards. The high BC of the .338 retains velocity better to aid expansion, still does ok if it tumbles rather than expanding, and resists wind better than most to hit the vitals.

That's because the bug box stores only hires morons off the street they can pay minimum wage... Anyone who knows anything won't work for minimum wage. :D

Just food for thought, next time someone walks into a big box store to buy a bow setup, or a rifle setup...

If I were to buy a gun and scope from them, they will both leave the store in seperate boxes. I wouldn't trust one of them jacklegs to even touch my gun. Display model? Uh....NO! Go in the back, and get me one that the box is still stapled together...

Haha they don't want you to shoot long range with the Remington 700 7mmRM, they want you to pay 4x as much for a .338 Lapua. Last time I went to Cabelas I saw this happen. A guy wanted to buy a deer rifle for his adult daughter. I figured they'd sell them a 7mm-08 or .308 either Savage or Remington in the $600 range. NOPE, i was wrong! First rifle the worker grabbed was a Weatherby Mk. V Lazermark! After they turned that down, came a Browning A-Bolt Medallion, next a new Winchester Model 70 anniversary rifle and finally an average rifle came along. The guy pulled a synthetic stocked Savage off the rack and handed it to them saying he has 6 Savages and everyone was great. They considered that but the girl wanted a wooden stock. The guy reached for a Remington and said "I can't believe I'm even grabbing this thing down." He seemed disgusted by it. He must not have known that Remington 700 would shoot better or right with all the other guns he pulled down. Typical inexperienced guy selling rifles. There's no happy ending either, somehow out of all of that, he sold her a Ruger American.

Wind and retained energy can both be tricky out at 800 yards.

The .338 Lapua gives more margin for error than most cartridges out there.

A lot of lower BC bullets don't retain enough velocity to expand at 800 yards. The high BC of the .338 retains velocity better to aid expansion, still does ok if it tumbles rather than expanding, and resists wind better than most to hit the vitals.

This is true but a .338 Lapua is not needed. A .300 Winchester or 7mm Remington Mag will easily kill one at that distance with high BC bullets and a good load. If a guy isn't good enough to make hits at 800 with a smaller caliber rifle, giving him a .338 Lapua isn't magically going to make him a shooter, yes his error will be decreased but if he can't read wind to begin with he shouldn't even attempt that shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.