25-06 case seperation problem

tlshootst

I'm not good at keeping track of brass reloads. Some have been reloaded 6 times, some 2 times.
They all get thown in the same bucket. I worked up a load of 50g. IMR 4831 with 115 BT. last year. I noticed the last 25 rounds I shot 6 show the case cracked about half way around 3/8 up from the rim. The primers don't show any problems and the bolt does't lift up hard. Should I start with some new brass and see how they look or is this load to high of pressure?
Thanks for the help.

Sounds to me like you may have some excess head space. I'd get new brass and double check your set back. Some cases may take 3 to 4 firings before they chamber tightly then you can set your shoulder back .002 or whatever you like.

So if you are bumping shoulders back after the first firing I'd assume this is why you have separations now.

They should last much longer than 6 firings.

I have always full length sized for hunting. I was always worried about cases not chambering when I have a coyote 100 yards broadside.

Sounds like sizing die is bumping the shoulder too much, causing a headspace problem. This is usually caused by the size die being set too close to the shellholder.

One method for properly adjusting the size die is:

1. Remove the striker assy. from your bolt, then reinstall the bolt body into the rifle.

2. Screw the size die into the press, leave about 3/32 inch space between the bottom of the die and the top of the shell holder.

3. Size a case, then try the case in the rifle (usually, the bolt will NOT close on this case)

4. Adjust the size die closer to the shell holder in small increments, size a case (use the same case if you want), trying the case each time in the chamber until the bolt will close on the sized case with just a little resistance.

5. Normally, this will give you the fit between case shoulder and chamber that you want. You will be headspacing on the shoulder, even if the case has a belt.

Cheers,
Jim

Absence of the mainspring allows much better feel of the slight resistance when the shoulder is in the right place.

Jim

Personally, I'd sell all that brass on an auction sight as range finds & then go buy new brass & start keeping better records. My guns & my face are to important to me to say Opps, wish I could have that moment in time back.:D

mm, yeah. keep better track of these things. That's 90% of reloading. Learn to do it. I usually keep 50-ct boxes of my 25-06 cases labeled by brand and X times reloaded. If the brass is Rem, switch to another brand, but definitely back down, head case separa is not a sign, its a 50 ton elephant stomping on your arm . I mean this in the nicest way, believe me..:)

I dont know if you started with factory loaded and fired brass or not. I did, and had separation in about 2 reloads, neck sized. I then bought some new brass and loaded with it. I then compared a once fired factory to the once fired home loaded and there is a difference. The factory brass has a distinct thinout beginning and my loaded round does not. I tossed all brass from the factory ammo and will not use it anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.