25-06; bullet weight & load data

Havard

First post..
Hello all; I found this site from many search's for info on my next project. Have since read many informative posts so thought I'd join up. Thanks for letting me jump on here.
I am interested in two things that I'm still not sure about. I recently bought a Sendero SF II 25-06 and want to get the best out of the factory set-up for now. So I would like some thoughts on the following;
1) with a 1:10 Twist, can I shoot larger grain than 100 with accuracy and with considerably tight groups.
2) from experience, what has been your success with handloading up to 115 grain bullets? I'm thinking about TSX, Nosler BT / eTip / Accubond, ELD-X, and the Berger VLD. The idea is to have some impressive 5 shot groups at 500yds but not have to trail game around to world to find it.
Thanks,

Havard

Your 1in 10 should work all the way to 120's. The 25-06 is a very accurate cartridge and should give you good groups with bullets from 100 to 120 grains. My old Tikka shot half inch groups with 120's so you will just need to find your load. Good luck and enjoy this informative sight.

H, I and quite a few on several forums have had excellent accuracy with Retumbo with the 115 Berger HVLD in 25-06. I spotted for a friend when he took a nice antelope with this load at 420 yds. Bang flop. My son's heavy barrel 25-06 is stupid accurate with this load as well, javelina hate it. Good luck

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking to use Retumbo for sure as I've read a lot of articles stating it works for the 25-06. New to reloading too so I will have a lot of questions about that as I progress. I do have a buddy that is supposed to give me some pointers. He is experienced with it...

try rl 22 with a mag primer for 110-120 grain bullets. I recently switched mine from 117 sst to 110 eldx I tried retumbo and could not fit enough in the case to get the velocity I could with rl 22 or h1000. all 3 shot well but retumbo was almost 200 feet slower than rl 22.

No problems with 10 twist to 115 grains here, sea level to 8500', 90's to low teens. No less than freezing temps at sea level yet. Bergers have been ticket with whitetail, hogs, mule deer and cow elk to 300 yds, mild load starts at 2975 FPS. Unless it's real windy can't separate splash damage from 3 shot groups at 500-600 yds. I prefer h4831, recipe on pic, Hart 24" 10 twist barrel, usually just under 1/2". Trying 110 eldx but haven't got them under moa yet, moving to 7828 after hunting season for load development @3300 FPS+. I am in the quarter bore fan club.

Attachments

• 3A8BC507-A178-4A3B-B3AD-95510FAA70D2.jpeg
    3A8BC507-A178-4A3B-B3AD-95510FAA70D2.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 340
No problems with 10 twist to 115 grains here, sea level to 8500', 90's to low teens. No less than freezing temps at sea level yet. Bergers have been ticket with whitetail, hogs, mule deer and cow elk to 300 yds, mild load starts at 2975 FPS. Unless it's real windy can't separate splash damage from 3 shot groups at 500-600 yds. I prefer h4831, recipe on pic, Hart 24" 10 twist barrel, usually just under 1/2". Trying 110 eldx but haven't got them under moa yet, moving to 7828 after hunting season for load development @3300 FPS+. I am in the quarter bore fan club.
Very impressive group!! I think I will try the Berger... if nothing else I'm curious now lol

I was using H4831SC with the 115 Gr Berger out of my rifle. It worked well. Retumbo, H1000, 7828 SSC and H4831SC are all good powders to try if one of them doesn't work for your rifle.

First post..
Hello all; I found this site from many search's for info on my next project. Have since read many informative posts so thought I'd join up. Thanks for letting me jump on here.
I am interested in two things that I'm still not sure about. I recently bought a Sendero SF II 25-06 and want to get the best out of the factory set-up for now. So I would like some thoughts on the following;
1) with a 1:10 Twist, can I shoot larger grain than 100 with accuracy and with considerably tight groups.
2) from experience, what has been your success with handloading up to 115 grain bullets? I'm thinking about TSX, Nosler BT / eTip / Accubond, ELD-X, and the Berger VLD. The idea is to have some impressive 5 shot groups at 500yds but not have to trail game around to world to find it.
Thanks,

Havard
Accubond or Accubond LR would be my choice from that group, behind them would come the Hornady ELD-X.

I have had great success in my 25-06 with RE25 with 110gr Accubonds, 100gr BT's, 115gr Berger and 115gr Partitions.
Retumbo, H1000, RE22 and H4831 have also been very useful powders.
H1000 showed very good accuracy with the 115gr Berger, but the velocity wasn't there for me.

Good luck with your 25-06, they shoot FLAT! I shot OVER many animals in the beginning because I was holding over when there was no need to.
Have had a 25-06 in the safe since 1988, in one form or another, have 2 presently, a Ruger M77 MK II and a Sendero II just like yours, only mine wears a Kreiger 28" barrel now.:cool:

Cheers.
:)

I've always had great accuracy/speed with H4831/117 Sierra SBT. Its a pretty tough bullet for deer. If I had a 25-06 today, it would be using the 115 NBT. I've never tried berger's but seen them shot in other calibers, very accurate. As much as I do love the 257 Weatherby round, I admit I feel a 26" or longer barreled 25-06 gives it a big run for its money! :)

Havard,

This is a 2-part question:

1 - "can I shoot larger grain than 100".
It is the length of a bullet which determines the twist rate not the weight.

2 - "with accuracy and with considerably tight groups."
Accuracy and tighter groups will be determined by all the variables which make up your rifle including the scope, your load and the toughest variable, you, the shooter. We can't possibly foretell every possible combination of bullets and powders as to whether they will be accurate or not. Beyond this, every barrel can be unique in how it responds to individual loads and bullets.

I have used nearly every .25 caliber bullet available including the Remington 122 grain SP Extreme Range (factory load) and some long forgotten customs. Virtually all of these will work with a 1:10" twist.

Now, however, we are confronted with the new designs from Blackjack and Hammer which are both heavier and longer, requiring a significant increase in twist rate. These bullets will start to need 1:8" to as fast as 1:7" depending on the cartridge/velocity used. The Blackjack 131 grain is technically a 'Match' bullet but a recent report of a hunting success might change some of our opinions... The Hammer Hunter 128 grain is a mono-metallic bullet meant to be used as a hunting bullet for sure. I have the barrels with the proper twist, chambered for the .257 Weatherby and another cartridge yet to named. ;)

I have a date with a 185 acre piece of private property for the opening of whitetail down here. This will be prime picking for the Hammer Hunter in a fairly large cartridge.

Havard,
Your 1 in 10 twist will work great with the bullets you mentioned. Been shooting the 25-06 and the Improved version for many years. Very consistent, good results with the 110 grain Accubond using H4831SC. Have used in multiple rifles.
The 115 Berger VLD also produced exceptional results with IMR4955. Have used both Nosler and Norma brass in recent years. I also use Fed210M primers. Good luck and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.