25-06 best choice?

I would go with the Tikka, but with the option of only a 22 in barrel I would look into the 260. Better bullet selection, Little heavier bullet, little less powder, better barrel life. I think a 260 would be better choice for that set up.

If you do get 25-06 you still should be able to bet close to 3000 fps with a 115 gr bullet. I can get 3200 with a 24in barrel out of mine, but accuracy is best around 3000fps

I agree with this 100%. Go with a 6.5mm. They have 8" twist barrels so you can shoot a reasonable bullet for long range work. If it is going to always be a short range laser then .25 would be fine.

Steve

6.5 creedmoor...I'll take a look at those. Is a 24" barrel sufficient and it will fit my deer rifle needs?

It will have enough energy to knockdown a deer out to 500 yards? Also work on coyotes?

I am a 6.5 fan. The Creed will work for you out past 600 yards easy. My son hunts with a 6.5-06 and has taken 5 elk from 525 to 300 yards. I think the Creed would be a great choice for your boy.

Steve

dang man, if you don't want to kill deer with the 25-06, pick something cooler than the 6.5 creedmoor. it seems like every other post i read about long range has the creed in it. go with the 6.5x55 or maybe a 284 winchester. both will be great with similar recoil and killer ballistics for hunting. I guess I just want to have something different than all the other guys. maybe you should too. heck out to 500 you'd be doing pretty good with a 6mm, like a plain old 243win, or maybe a 6mm rem.

What ever 6.5....just make sure you get an 8" twist. The current 6.5's are all pretty modern compared to most of our factory chamberings, thus they have a more modern twist rate.

Steve

Any opinion on the x bolt

My left hand X bolt 25-06 shoots 1/2 MOA with my hand loads. I would definitely recommend it. There's nothing wrong with the Tikka's either from what I've read.
I think your choice of 25-06 was a great one. I too am sick of all the 6.5 Creedmore buzz. I understand all of the ballistic advantages of the 6.5 but the 25-06 will serve your purposes out to quite a ways just fine.

Factory shelf ammunition

I shoot the 25-06 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor is the better round for your needs. The Hornady's Creedmoor off the shelf ammo cannot be beat. The 140 Amax is an incredibly accurate long range off the shelf load. The 140 Amax against a 110-120 Gr. 25-06 bullet is no contest past 300 yards. The 140 bucks the wind much better and retains lots more energy.

I am a Savage fan. Most of my rifles these days are Savages, since I got into long range shooting. They are great DIY rifles. You can change barrels yourself and there are lots of makers of very high quality aftermarket barrels for them. You can not do this stuff with a Howa or Vanguard.

The Savage has the best (and safest) trigger of the rifles you are considering and has a 3 position safety to boot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.