25-06 and 115 VLD

PaLuke

Hello everyone, Looking for data for a 115 gr. VLD in my 25-06. I got a file from Berger and the only cartridge that's not listed with data is the 25-06. Thank you for your replies.
PaLuke

Looking for load data? You can pretty much just work up from starting loads for other 117 grain bullets. For instance, with a 117 gr bullet, Hodgdon recommends a starting load of 56 gr of Retumbo, and a max load of 60.5 grains of Retumbo.

I used that data with a 115 Berger VLD and at 60.5 grains my 24" factory rifle was showing 3188 fps with excellent accuracy and no pressure problems. I adopted that as my standard mule deer, coyote and rock chuck load for that rifle. Works great.

I've taken three mule deer with it, from 175 - 400 yards. All instant one-shot drops. Very flat shooting, and excellent in the wind too.

What else you need to know? Load some, shoot some. I think you'll like those 115 VLD bullets from a .25-06!

Regards, Guy

BTW - all the usual caveats about starting low and working up apply. What worked in my rifle may not be safe in yours, and all that...

It is a good load though, I've been using it for a few years with no problems. Good brass life too - and I'm only neck sizing. Haven't ever needed to full-length size the cases.

A standard Federal match primer (not magnum) works fine. Am using mostly Winchester cases. The load has worked well for me winter or summer. Relatively temperature insensitive.

Did I mention flat shooting?

Regards, Guy

Thank you very much for the reply. I'll do as you recommend and I'll post the results as soon as I try them. Thanks again. PaLuke

I do not have chrony so I can't give specifics as far as velocity etc,,,, but noting the standard caveats about starting low and working up etc....My Sendero sends them through an enlarged single hole at 100 yards with Norma Brass, Berger 115VLD, Fed 210 primers and 53.4gr RL17.

I have an idea on velocity and you will likely be satisfied as someone else on this forum PM'ed me with his similar information and he had good velocity.

If he sees this, perhaps he will chime in.

I believe Nosler manual indicates 55.0-gr Retumbo starting chrg for 115-gr BT's.. for comparison..

RE-22 good also. For 117-gr Sierra SBTs I'm using 48-50-gr. med-hi.

OK with 56.0-gr Retumbo also, I'm using 56.5 with 120-gr Speers (3000fps). If using WLR primers may want to start out a little lower, also depending on seating depth (for all of course)..

(22" Douglas bbl)

I'm the person Aldon mentioned in his post. I haven't shot the Bergers yet but I have shot 110 AB's and 115 Ballistic Silvertips.

I maxed @ 55.5 grs RL17 with both bullets getting 3500 fps with the 110's and 3400 fps with the 115's out of my 26" Sendero. I also tried Retumbo and H1000 and they got about 200 fps less than the RL17. Accuracy was generally very good all around and the best was the 115 BST's. Best 4 shot group was .45" @ 212 yds.

-Mark

Nice shooting Mark, and great results. Thanks for posting - I've got some Retumbo to work through but may just have to give your powder a try!

Hmmm. Any suggestions on how to stretch my barrel an additional two inches?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts