25-06 Ai

harfman99

does anyone have some good loads for this cartrige? I am planning on useing Berger 115g VLD bullets and what i can expect for velocity from a 26" tube. Thanks

I get 3,250fps shooting the 125 Wildcat & RL25 with my AI which is a Sendero that Kirby did for me. I don't know of course if you have a "slow or fast" tube, but with retumbo or RL25 you should get around 3,300 or so. Your mileage may vary & of course work up slowly.

thanks.

Shilen is goung to build the barrel for me. They sugested that i use a 1 in 9 twist for that weight of bullet so it should be pretty close. Thanks for helping out a newbie. gun)

A faster twist will rob you of FPS. My 30-338 has a 12 inch twist and it shoots exceptionally fast. A nosler 150gr BT @ 3573fps. A 10 twist would slow it down and preasures would go up. Talk to Shilen about what you expect from the barrel. If you want top RPM (speed) from heavier bullets talk to the Shilen techs and see what they recommend for twist. The AI tells me your looking for speed. My son still shoots his 25-06 AI W/Shillen 1-10 barrel. I don't know the loads off hand. I remember it was a bunch of work to keep up with it. Good Luck, Olcrip

A 26 inch barrel should enable you to get 3300 fps with the 115 grain bullet, as my Shilen 24 inch 10 twist barrel achieves 3270 - 3290 with the Nosler 115 BT depending on the powder and temperature.

I found that maximum loads of Hodgdon 1000, Reloader 25, and Vihtavouri N170 gave good load density, accuracy, and velocity. I have listed my maximum loads to give you some idea, but chambers seem to vary a lot so start at least 5 grains below and then work up.
115 Nosler BT
58.0 IMR 7828 - 3281 (Max)
61.0 Re 25 - 3218
62.0 Re 25 - 3293 (Max)
62.0 H1000 - 3208
63.0 H1000 - 3271 (Max)
63.0 N170 - 3202
64.0 N170 - 3286 (Near Max, slightly compressed load)

I believe your decision to use a 9 twist is a good one, as it gives you the option of using bullets up to about 135 grains in weight.(depending on length). I read on another forum that Berger were planning on releasing a 125 grain VLD later this year. I hope the report is true.

My 10 twist gives excellent accuracy with the 130 grain Wildcat BCFBHP, but when I rebarrel I would go with either an 8 or 9 twist depending on what bullet weights were available at the time. Hope the above is of some help. Brian.

I'm with you on that Brian, I really wished bigger bullets would be mass produced. I look forward to Berger releasing them.

I have an A.I, but plan on doing some things different. #1 going with bigger bullets, and slower powder. Also using some beefier cases so I can get the velocity this case has to offer. I will try some sorted Winchester brass that I have laying around, it should help me with the velocity.

When it comes to rebarrel I will definetly consider an 1-8 or 9" barrel. With a longer throat than I have now.

I have really enjoyed this cartridge, and its accuracy.

Howdoo Fly,

Berger is not going to build a 125gr bullet if it won't stabilize in a 1-10 twist -their market would be next to none existent if the bullet needed a '' highly rare '' twist..
Baring surface of the bullet is more of a factor than weight.

I have read of plain 25-06's shooting the 130 wildcats .

Long live the 25 caliber , i'll AI mine soonish..

Ol mike,
I just found the reference to the Berger 25 caliber 125 grain VLD in a post on the Reloading Forum at Accurate Reloading Website by Eric Stecker.

Eric Stecker is the Director of Operations for Berger Bullets, and is also Walt Berger's Son in law, so the post should have some credibility.

The URL reference is:
Ask Berger - Topic Powered by eve community

To quote the relevant text in the last paragraph of his post:
" Unfortunately, we do not make a suitable replacement for the 110 gr MEF. Presently we make only the 87 gr and 115 gr VLD. We will soon be making a 125 gr VLD. Your best bet is to find a similar bullet made by another manufacturer unless you can take advantage of the 10,000 bullet program."

Hope that clarifies the issue of the future release of the Berger 125 grain VLD. Brian

Berger is not going to build a 125gr bullet if it won't stabilize in a 1-10 twist -their market would be next to none existent if the bullet needed a '' highly rare '' twist..
I'm not trying to talk for Ol'Mike, but he wasn't dissagreeing with you. He was just saying that Berger will design the bullet to shoot in the 1-10" because 99.5% of all 25-calibers have the 1-10" or slower. I would tend to agree with his assumption. I sooo can't wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.