25-06 ai

Just set up a 25/06 with 121gr hammers. They require a minimum 1 in 8 twist. Ours was a 7.5. It was one of the easiest set ups I've done. With the bullets out there I'd go at least 1 in 8

I have been a 25-06 fan for 20 years and shot 30 plus whitetails with it. I have decided to build a 25-06ai! It is my first ai is there any tips or tricks I need to know for fire forming? Would you go with creme a wheat method or get a hornady hydro former or shot bullet to form case? Going with a Remington 700 trued action, Bartlien barrel, finished at 26". A lot of people hate the 10 twist. Would you go with a 8 or 9 twist? Berger twist calculator says a 9 twist for 110 accubond or 115 Berger would be ok, would a 8 twist hurt much. Are there going to be more bullets like blackjack 131 gr. Be produced? If so a 8 twist would be nice!!!!

I'd get a hydro form die from "WHIDDEN" if I were going to buy another hydro form die for my .270 Ackley Improved; and....I will be replacing the one that I already have and already have paid for, that never really worked from day one (formed 14 casings and it won't work again)!!!! The cream of wheat method works, will save your barrel as will hydro forming, but both methods are time consuming; however, I have been load developing at the same time as fire-forming and have good results with that process. I do strongly recommend annealing before any method for case prepping or forming your cases; that would be my first process before I started anything. I am using a salt-bath method with good results; there's some controversy about whether salt annealing works or not, it works for me and I don't have $500-800 tied up in equipment. One more thing that I did was to use less expensive brass for the learning process of fire forming/sizing/annealing my brass, for me there was a learning curve thus destroying some casings and,, those casings didn't cost me $1.25-2.00+ per casing; good .270 Winchester brass is hard to find.

I would highly recommend the Sinclair mandrel neck sizing tool, and....if you ever decide to do any crimping (unlikely on the cartridges that you asked about) get a Lee Professional Crimp die. Any of the high-end die makers have good products, everyone has their own opinions on them; Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.

As for barrel twist I would recommend talking with the barrel maker and the bullet manufacturer to get their opinions on bullet twist. I spoke with Steve from Hammer bullets the other day, told him "what I already had", he told me that he would prefer a faster twist, however because I have a 1-10 twist in the .270AI he told me what bullet to use. If you are talking Sherman Wildcats, Rich will suggest the twist and the bullet that will work well for a particular wildcat.

Good luck with your build, looks like you have a really neat setup up, now for load making your casings and load development.

I have been a 25-06 fan for 20 years and shot 30 plus whitetails with it. I have decided to build a 25-06ai! It is my first ai is there any tips or tricks I need to know for fire forming? Would you go with creme a wheat method or get a hornady hydro former or shot bullet to form case? Going with a Remington 700 trued action, Bartlien barrel, finished at 26". A lot of people hate the 10 twist. Would you go with a 8 or 9 twist? Berger twist calculator says a 9 twist for 110 accubond or 115 Berger would be ok, would a 8 twist hurt much. Are there going to be more bullets like blackjack 131 gr. Be produced? If so a 8 twist would be nice!!!!
Mine had a 26" barrel & I shot 100 grain Partition's. Not a real sexy bullet but kills elk like crazy.

I have a reamer that I could convert if there was enough interest

So has there been enough interest to convert one of your reamers to .257 Max? I have 700 long action sitting around and two .25 cal barrels on order. One in 1-7.5 and one in 1-8. Looking for something more than a .25-06AI on a standard long action.

Dave

Agree withothers above. I prefer to seat a bullet into the lands and fireform with 30% below full charge. You've got to break in your barrel and go through the speed up process anyway before finalizing a load. Usually takes 60-100 rds for speed up to finish.
It frequently takes 2 firings before all cases are uniform. Lapua 30-06 cases work very well and 100 will usually last as long as your barrel, unless you really run hot.
1:7.5 is good for Blackjacks and 121 Hammers. You really want a bolt of lightening. Try the 98 gr Hammers at well over 3500 with R19!
Enjoy your 25-06AI. Been shooting them for 40 yrs+.

So has there been enough interest to convert one of your reamers to .257 Max? I have 700 long action sitting around and two .25 cal barrels on order. One in 1-7.5 and one in 1-8. Looking for something more than a .25-06AI on a standard long action.

Dave
Hi Dave. yes, I just had a reamer cut for a 25 Sherman. We figure it will run A 131 Blackjack at 3400' 7.5 twist would be good

Bib makes a 110 grain with a 520 bc that shoots great out of 10 twist. My friends 12 twist 257 wby shoots them great too. I'm looking for a 7 twist 257 Sporter barrel now.
Shep

The COW and/or similar method will result in little or no barrel wear if barrel life is important to you. When I first got a 6.5-06AI I fire formed a couple hundred cases. I recall Doug Shilen saying that they worked best when loaded hot. I expect the .25-06AI would be somewhat similar in that regard and you could probably expect a little shorter barrel life with the AI version. The hotter loads tend to lead to loose primer pockets which would be the biggest contributor to reduced case life. If you start with.25-06 cases I would hope they would chamber with a little resistance which tells you that they will headspace properly on the shoulder. If the bolt closes with no resistance I'd expect there to be a small secant of excessive headspace. If you would neck down .280AI you have to trim them to be 0.050 shorter.

Opening up an old topic obviously, but has anyone yet tried the Berger Elite 133s in their AI and what kind of accuracy and velocities have you gotten. I have a 26' Mcgowan barrel ordered I am going to mate it with a 110 Savage Action in a 1 in 7 twist and I jumped on two boxes of the 133s I found in stock. I can't find H1000 but I have a lot of 4831sc and Retumbo. Also how do the 90's and 100s perform in your fast twist barrels?

Opening up an old topic obviously, but has anyone yet tried the Berger Elite 133s in their AI and what kind of accuracy and velocities have you gotten. I have a 26' Mcgowan barrel ordered I am going to mate it with a 110 Savage Action in a 1 in 7 twist and I jumped on two boxes of the 133s I found in stock. I can't find H1000 but I have a lot of 4831sc and Retumbo. Also how do the 90's and 100s perform in your fast twist barrels?
With component shortages have not shot my 25-06ai 8 twist much but 102 grain hammers shot great through my rifle and have been using them and have not shot any of the 133 bergers yet! Also it shot 85 nbt and 87 tnts really well 1/2 inch groups or better at a 100 yards!