.25-06 AI with Nosler .280 AI brass?

RHC

Has anyone done this before? Are there any available reamer prints with this kind of brass set up? Thanks!

The /06 case is shorter bodied than the .280, so I guess you mean 25/280AI? About anything can be done, but at what cost (in $$$ or in the hassle to do it). Necking down from 280 to 25 is quite a ways. It'd take some extra case prep effort, I'd think.

Hey there,
It can be done, but you end up having to push the shoulder back a bit (can't remember the exact amount... Think it's more than 0.010") then u will end up getting thicker shoulder material up in the neck and will probably need to neck turn to get the neck thickness uniform...

280 to 25 isn't that big of a jump down, I use lapua 30-06 brass and neck it down to 25-06 in one step in a standard 25-06 die to form my 25-06ai brass..

Will require more work than starting with factory 2506 brass as Ackley intended but what the heck fun would that be?

Orch

I wonder if the OP was thinking of the 25-280 AI? That would be leaving the shoulder at the original point and necking down to .25. I would guess someone has already done that. It would have slightly greater capacity than the standard .25-06 AI.

I wonder if the OP was thinking of the 25-280 AI? That would be leaving the shoulder at the original point and necking down to .25. I would guess someone has already done that. It would have slightly greater capacity than the standard .25-06 AI.
Had to be what he's talking about. Wouldn't make any sense to push a the shoulder back roughly .050". I'm still of the mind that says necking down .027 or so is a long ways requiring multiple steps to get there, thus creating a neck with thick walls that'll need to be turned to bring neck wall thickness into reason. Some wildcats are worth doing, some are not. How much gain would there be? Enough to be worth the effort? Or, is it just the 'gain' to be able to say "I have a rifle chambered in a custom cartridge" (that I have to jump through hoops to make cases for and only gives me minimual gain, enough so that I'd be able to do the same with a more common cartridge and a lot less effort).

I have necked down many regular 280 cases to 6mm in one step. I have always used a case form die instead of a resize die.

I have a case form die that necks down 280 cases to 6mm and pushes the neck shoulder junction back to form a 26° shoulder in a single step. It does a real nice job.

Last edited:

Exactly what I meant.

In 1971 I was stationed in an area with 2 gunsmiths making 25 cal. wildcats. One made a 25/240 Weatherby. He liked the strong mag belted case, It was compatable with a 30-06 size bolt face and worked through the 30-06 size magazine with little work. The other gunsmith Chuck Wilcox designed and built a 25/270 Win. version. I believe the barrel was stamped 25 Wilcox. He used the 270 Win. case because it was longer than 30-06 and had to only be sized down about .020 of an inch. The case had a steep shoulder like the Ackley Imp. or the 7 MM Mashburn. He made his own reamers. Mr. Wilcox was killed in a freak lawn accident about 30 years ago. His shop is no more. Since the 280 Rem. and 270 Win. are built off the same 2.540 length case , Mr. Wilcox may have built your cartridge's older brother about 1970. Heard a lot of good things about this cartridge, Good Luck on your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.