.25-06 AI thoughts...?

Canvsbk

I have a .25-06 that has a new barrel in the works. A buddy built his into an AI but when he fire formed his cases from factory .25-06 brass the necks came out way too short. So another local guy who went a similair route used .270 brass, necked down and his fire formed cases had necks way too thick that had to be reamed...
Seems like alot of messing around to get less than desireable results. Should I stay with the .25-06 as is or fight the brass just not quite right battle? Thanks for your thoughts.

Stay with the plain 25-06. All the fire forming burning up some of your barrel and the cost of it all in components is not worth 100 fps more. If you need more than a 25-06 jump up to the 257 Weatherby.

I wouldn't bother with the 25-06 AI. I have a 25-06 and the additional velocity doesn't give me much because the bullet selection is so limited. If you want to go to some custom platform go with the 6.5-06. You bullet selection is really vast and it will do everything that the 25-06, 270, and 30-06 will do and will do it better.

X2 on the 6.5-06 (unless you already have a 25 cal barrel). I've had a couple 25-06's, a 270 and 2 30-06's, and (in my opinion) my 6.5 "outshoots" them all. Very easy to load for and deadly accurate.

I am looking at the 25-06 and the Weatherby also, have both actions to barrel. Will the Roy be that much faster w/o the freebore in a custom barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts