25/06 AI reamer

Well Chad,

I certainly do agree with you. I totally understand about reamers and about those guys who change their minds like they change their underwear. When I was talking about paying half for the reamer, in my situation, I bought the reamer according to the tooling needs that my smith needed. (He isn't out of a dime at this point.) He also said "I want this reamer, it's one I'd like to have" to me it seemed fair as he suggested that he would pay for half by deducting his half off of the labor bill.

Now I agree that if a guy wants a .338 Whizzbang, he should buy the reamer. That's a given. It seems however,that the guy ought to be able to keep the reamer. A smith also has the right to reject a reamer if his tooling doesn't allow for the use.

That's why I asked all of the details, and got the specs he needed. I am using his services because I know how good he is, I know his quality and reputation. The guy picks and chooses his work and has won't build for just anybody, we've been friends for years and that means alot. So I have no hesitation about buying the tooling needed. I feel privledged (sp?) to have him build my rifles. I also prepay for the work, he guarantees his work as well.

I hope this goes along with your thinking.....

Dan

Sorry true but your wrong. The difference is the smith is at least being honest and up front with you. Go have something manufactured for you at a machine shop. You think your not paying for that tooling? You are only it's going to be rolled right into the price of the job. You'll never see it as its part of the labor charge.
Every part we have ever quoted in any shop I worked in there is a tooling charge. So yes it is standard practice for the customer (YOU) to pay for the tooling. And for the shop (smith) to keep said tools.

Eddie,
It was not an insinuation. I truly thought you were maybe kidding, as at the time I did not know what industry standard was in regards to reamers. What does the appreviation " PAX "stand for at the end of your post ?
Pax is peace in Latin....I can't believe that year in Highschool paid off!