25.06 AI favorite powers!

Had my first 25-06 built in 1965. FN Mauser Supreme, 24" Douglas Premium barrel , Canjar set trigger. Shot out the barrel with 50 cent 4831. Still have 9# of the stuff, still smells good. I have 5 25-06's, two are for my grandson and grandson-in-law. You guys sure have me thinking about an AI. I shoot 100 grainers for everything. What can I expect for velocity gains out of a 26-28" barrel?

Had my first 25-06 built in 1965. FN Mauser Supreme, 24" Douglas Premium barrel , Canjar set trigger. Shot out the barrel with 50 cent 4831. Still have 9# of the stuff, still smells good. I have 5 25-06's, two are for my grandson and grandson-in-law. You guys sure have me thinking about an AI. I shoot 100 grainers for everything. What can I expect for velocity gains out of a 26-28" barrel?
Im getting an honest 3600 from a 87 grain bullet. Sierra has info with 100 grain at 3400+. I honestly think you could do better, without pressures! Fireforming isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either. Use 270 brass. Necks are longer. Whatever you fire, will shrink .020.

Ok, 25ai guys, just picked up a awesome 26-06AI, sendero! Shooting 87 grain Fowler bullets, with 61 grains of h4831sc. Velocity is at 3600, and very accurate. Now, I'm not one to fix something that's not broke, but I will be using possibly a heavier bullet come deer season, and was wondering what seems to be the angel dust in the AI. I also have rl16, which I think should also be a good option. Opinions please! Thanks to all!
I've had good results using RL 25.

LV, I'll probably not have to look any further then what I have, with the 4831sc. I am curious about RL16, which I have some of. I'm a monolithic bullet fan, especially when high velocity is involved. I have some 80,and 100ttsx, which ,I probably again,need look no further. Im still on cloud nine since I bought this thing, (thanks to brother Butterbean), and still getting my feet wet, on knowkedge from those that have experience with it. This thing is truly a gem. It's a wolf in sheep's 😁clothing!

Now the fun begins, load developments is one of my favorite things about shooting and hunting. Stay safe, enjoy your new rifle and have fun.

This is a wonderfully informative post, and right up my alley. I started out AIing a 250 Savage; then a 243; and next was the 25:06. All three have shown considerable improvement; any where from 100 to 175 fps (in the 250 Savage). Fire-forming is NOT a big deal since I fire a standard round and out comes an AI case (and with no significant accuracy loss in the process). But the real gain is in the reloading department where i can go up to 6 reloads without trimming. And if you'll forgive the vanity; the AI is simply a cooler looking cartridge. Now I'm considering the 260 for an improvement.

This is a wonderfully informative post, and right up my alley. I started out AIing a 250 Savage; then a 243; and next was the 25:06. All three have shown considerable improvement; any where from 100 to 175 fps (in the 250 Savage). Fire-forming is NOT a big deal since I fire a standard round and out comes an AI case (and with no significant accuracy loss in the process). But the real gain is in the reloading department where i can go up to 6 reloads without trimming. And if you'll forgive the vanity; the AI is simply a cooler looking cartridge. Now I'm considering the 260 for an improvement.

I have read several sources that say the 250 Savage gains more with the AI treatment tan any other. The 30-30AI has a big gain too, I had one of those in a Super 14 Contender.

I cant speak to the 30:30 buti ca arrest to the gains of the 250 Savage. And it is such a joy to shoot.
DDFEE3F4-95E6-4625-BEBC-152307FEE4E8.jpeg

I also got a 25/06 Sendero in the late 80s early 90s. Killed a bunch of deer with it. Toasted the barrel
Had the gun rebarrelled before all the new bullets & powders came out. It will shoot 98 gr Hammers, though. R19 gives 3506 and .3 groups. 57.3 grs, cci 250s. Also shoots 115 Nosler btbt very well with AA3100.

My 25-06AI is an old Sendero, years ago, actually shortly after I joined LRH I sent the rifle to Kirby Allen (APR) and he not only chambered to AI but skim bedded an trued the action, crowned the barrel and did a great job. I is now a sub MOA rifle and fast!! I have used it on a bunch of WY Antelope & Mule Deer & AR. Whitetails.

My 25-06AI is an old Sendero, years ago, actually shortly after I joined LRH I sent the rifle to Kirby Allen (APR) and he not only chambered to AI but skim bedded an trued the action, crowned the barrel and did a great job. I is now a sub MOA rifle and fast!! I have used it on a bunch of WY Antelope & Mule Deer & AR. Whitetails.
I love the one I have. I prefer the gen one HS precision, with the small pistol grip. I dont care for the swelled one at all. It dosent feel natural. The barrel and action on mine is exceptional, and given that the mid ninties remmy were probably the best of all. The former owner, took very good care of it, and is a gunsmith to boot. It sat in his safe for thirteen years. Only has 300 down the pipe. Lands are crisp and clean, no rollercoaster when you push a jag through it. This was definitely a golden horseshoe! Love this caliber!

My uncle has a 257 Robert's. AI. Let me tell you, it is no joke! Nearly 25.06 performance in a short action. Pretty sexy looking too. But the 25.06AI, is wicked looking, and wicked shooting! I have a friend that has 7.08 AI as well. It knocks on a .280 Remington 's door for performance. P.O. Ackley knew what he was doing. I have a 7-08, that may become AI.😁🦌

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.