Rem 700 Action
Brux 4 groove 10 Twist@ 23.5" #9 Contour
Canjar 700VS Trigger
McRee G5 Chassis
EGW 20 MOA Rail
Bushnell Forge 3-18X50
Hawk Hybrid Can
Peterson 270 Brass
Varget@ 57.7g ( Work up to this, sticky bolt@ 58g but the primer was fine)
CCI200 Primer
Weather was 57 degrees and I'm at an altitude of 499'

I put it together around the 90g HH but was disappointed in 3712fps
so I dropped down to the 67g, I think I can get more out of the 90's
and I'm still working on it

View attachment 230632

Sexy, just sexy!

That is why I usually start off with a 30" barrel, when it is shot out cut off 1/2 inch at the end rechamber it and your good to go, you can do that up to 6 times or sometime I just go to a bigger chambering IE: 308 to 30-06 to 300 WinMag then finally to 300RUM without cutting an inch off due to the longer case cuts deeper into the chamber. like I said in my privious post my gunsmith has a steady flow of stuff of mine.

Dean

At least what powder prooved slow enough for the 25 Rum in a 30" barrel?
US869 or H50BMG no just kidding LOL
H1000
Retumbo
RL25
RL33
All worked fine for that application, I did try the 50 powder it worked great it was just dirty. One trade secret I am willing to give out is the use of non mag primers it prevents "Bridging"
and they also reduces spikes in pressure.
Bridging explination for those who are so inclined

Dean

Last edited:
With a 14 twist@ 5000fps the bullet would be at 257,142 RPM
Which is fine for a copper jacketed bullet, they are good up to 300,000 RPM give or take before comming apart "also depending on how rough the rifling is" The 14 twist for the 115gr on paper is to slow to stabilize them but it did, my take is the 4000FPS had something to do with that.

Dean

Last edited:
Which is fine for a copper jacketed bullet, they are good up to 300,000 RPM give or take before comming apart "also depending on how rough the rifling is" The 14 twist for the 115gr on paper is to slow to stabilize them but it did, my take is the 4000FPS had something to do with that.

Dean
Well I've never had such luck, 4400 was all I ever got before they started coming apart with a Middlstead and they would never survive the launch out of the Hot Tamale, but I have never had a 257 Allen Magnum so who's to say

Here are my custom dies that I had made, and for those who like speed check out the pic below, I must say firing those off is a religous experience.

Dean
IMG_0186.jpg
22-06ai_zpswgion2it.jpg

Friend of mine has two 25 STW. One is a Ackley. Haven't shot them in years. If I remember we approached 4000 FPS with a 110 Accubond and a E-Tip. Powder bridging was a problem. Ram shot powder seemed to help. Should maybe explore them again with some Hammers.

Friend of mine has two 25 STW. One is a Ackley. Haven't shot them in years. If I remember we approached 4000 FPS with a 110 Accubond and a E-Tip. Powder bridging was a problem. Ram shot powder seemed to help. Should maybe explore them again with some Hammers.
I had one back in the day but I think I met the point of diminishing returns, I would have needed a 30" tube to see any significant gains, with today's powder selection I think it would do better

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts